Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    passmeby Posts: 473, Reputation: 11

Feb 13, 2010, 09:04 AM
    Too Much Peanut Butter?
    My 2 year old daughter is going through a phase in which she wants to eat peanut butter every single day. Not a PB sandwich, but just plain PB on a spoon. It's been about 3 weeks now that she has been asking for the PB every single morning. Most days I try to brush it off and give her something else, but many times she just begs and begs and cries so much that I just break down and give her some. I take a teaspoon and put some on the spoon and give it to her. Not a HEAPING spoonfull, I'd say about half a tsp.

I know PB is high in fat and sugar, so my question is-is this dangerous? Besides from the calorie/fat perspective, is there any danger in eating too much PB?

I'm hoping it's just a phase and she will get over it!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 09:10 AM
    It could be worse. My daughter went through something similar at that age. She ate NOTHING but yogurt.

At least it's not potato chips!

If you are concerned get the all natural peanut butter instead of the processed. OR, better yet, learn how to make your own and make it a project that you two can do together.

Peanuts, oil, and a little salt in a blender (I think I used a blender to make PB. I can't remember it's been so long since all of my children have gone through this stage.)

Feb 13, 2010, 09:18 AM

Good idea, I will pick up some of that all-natural PB! And in the meantime, we certainly can try to make our own, that sounds like a LOT of fun! I got this PB once from the store, it was White Chocolate flavored and it was soooo good, I wonder if we could make that?! I'd imagine we'd just put white chocolate chips into the mix? Or if there's a white chocolate ice cream topping, that might work. Of course, with that we'd be adding some unnecessary sugar, so we'd have to limit it but it's a great idea, THANKS! I can't believe I never thought of making my own PB! Duh!
    Eileen G Posts: 1,571, Reputation: 286
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 02:36 PM

A spoonful of peanut butter is not a problem. If she eats a lot, buy some natural unsalted PB, that's a lot less addictive than the stuff with lots of sugar and salt.

Young children need quite a lot of fat in their diet to be healthy. It's possible that if most of the food in the house is low fat, then she really does need something like PB to balance her diet.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by passmeby View Post
    Good idea, I will pick up some of that all-natural PB!! And in the meantime, we certainly can try to make our own, that sounds like a LOT of fun!! I got this PB once from the store, it was White Chocolate flavored and it was soooo good, I wonder if we could make that??!! I'd imagine we'd just put white chocolate chips into the mix? Or if there's a white chocolate ice cream topping, that might work. Of course, with that we'd be adding some unneccesary sugar, so we'd have to limit it but it's a great idea, THANKS!! I can't believe I never thought of making my own PB!! Duh!!

I don't think adding sugar or sugar products to peanut butter is a good idea if you are concerned about the sugar content in "real" peanut butter.

Health food stores in my area carry kits to make peanut butter at home.

Feb 14, 2010, 10:09 AM

I don't think adding sugar or sugar products to peanut butter is a good idea if you are concerned about the sugar content in "real" peanut butter.
    Correct, which is why I said:
    Of course, with that we'd be adding some unnecessary sugar, so we'd have to limit it
    I figure, if I'm going to make my own PB, then I ought to make it special! IMO it's not worth making it otherwise, it's not like PB is expensive or anything... making it at home would be opportune for a "treat"! Might as well experiment and add special stuff, and of course keep in mind the added ingredients for nutrition values.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Peanut butter fudge recipe. [ 3 Answers ]

Someone please give me a peanutbutter fudge recipe. I need a really good one. Thanks in advance!

Peanut butter incedent [ 1 Answers ]

I was curious about a Movie that was also a book called the Peanut Butter incedent, were A boy's hair turns white because of something he has seen.

Peanut butter and dogs [ 11 Answers ]

Is peanut butter really okay for dogs?

Peanut Butter for my puppy? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 month old puppy. Yorkie/Chiuaua Mix. I am curious about peanut butter. I bought a kong and would like to do the peanut butter deal for him for in his crate when I go away, but some people have said peanut butter is not good for him. Do I need to buy special peanut butter or just my...

Sugarless Peanut Butter? [ 8 Answers ]

I heard there is such a thing as sugarless peanut butter. But I cannot find it anywhere. All the ones I found contains at least 1g of sugar. Just what is the 'sugarless' peanut butter? Is it literally sugarless, or is the minimal amount (1g) considered sugarless? But all the peanut butters...

View more questions Search