Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zooland Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 02:17 PM
    It can be possible ?
    Hello !

Please explain me this is possible this situation : english is my second language and I was diagnosticated " receptive-espressive language disorder " . I verified in the DSM and I have all the simpltoms , plus "association " . The "association" is simptoms from childhood, in the modher tongue and it mean : I can make association between writted words and the meanings of this wrods . This was ONLY my simptoms in the childhood, and the problem is... is not described in the DSM for " receptive-expressive language disorder " !
    QUESTION : what is that ? How can explain ?
    Thank you very much !

Feb 12, 2010, 02:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by zooland View Post
    Hello !
    : I can' T make association between writted words and the meanings of this wrods . !
    Sorry for mistake, I corrected now : I can't make association between the writted words and meanings. Par example : " sleep talking man " . I can translate evary word, but I don't understand what is the meaning...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 06:25 PM
    Hi, zooland!

With practice, memorization as well as repetition, you should be able to improve.

Is there anything that you don't understand about what I wrote above, please?

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2010, 06:31 PM
    Hi Clough !

I understood everithing. But I really appreciate if you can answer to me question...
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 06:35 PM

Who said you had this, it really does not sound as much a disability but then today they want to list any issue a disability.

Do you have this issue in your normal language ? Or merely trying to learn english
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 10:19 PM
    Hi again, zooland!

"Sleep talking man", isn't something that makes much sense to me, either. Is there a context in which it might be used, please?

Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 12:51 AM
    "Sleep talking man" is a man who is talking out loud while he is sleeping.

Now, what you are describing is something called expressive - receptive aphasia, and can be debilitating. Depending on the severity of your particular disability it may be overcome with the right therapist, however if it is very severe, it may be permanent.

Basically it means that you can read the words on a page, but when you try to put them together they don't make any sense. People with this have a tendency to not be able to comprehend language.

It is caused many times by a brain injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    it really does not sound as much a disability but then today they want to list any issue a disability.
    Sorry Chuck, but it is a very real disability usually caused by brain injury. A stroke is a common cause of this disorder.

Here is a great website that might help you. http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/aphasia

Feb 13, 2010, 08:07 AM

Fr_Chuk : not, I don't have NOW this problem in modher tongue. In the childhood, I had a problem to association between words / meaning, for 4 years. I coud reading form 3 years old, and after 4 years to practice, my problem was gone. But in the school I couldn't understood mathametics, fizic, chemistry.
    Now, I am living to Canada, and I tried everithing and nothing work : english class, privat teacher 9 month, individual study and more. I can speak, I can writte, but listening is terrible ( no way ). After 4 years execrcice, finally, I can read and understand bazic sentences.

J_9 I am exaclty like in your describe ! My MRI look perfect.
    I think my problem was just 4 years in modher tongue, because I was reading a lot, every day, all the times : I am fascination to letter and books . If I don't read in a day, I become "sick" ( yes, the reading is more exciting then sex ). I suspect myself to hyperlexia, especial because my parents and my sisters have manny simptoms of autism spectrum and strage behaviour.

Unfortunately, I try to read in english, but I don't understand too much. I am very frustrated, because I have some interesting english books, and I don't understand to read. I want to see some documentary mouvies, but I can't, because I don't understand .

J_9 : Please, give your opinion ! It is possible so much difference between modher tongue and second language ? Hoe is possible that ?
    I add : I was teacher for modher tongue in the hair-school, and I was layer in my country.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:10 AM
    How long have you been trying to learn English? English is one of the hardest languages to learn.

Feb 13, 2010, 08:12 AM
    Sorry, I believe my english not was clear : My job was to be teacher for modher language. I was teacher in a hairschool . And afet then, I took my licence like layer.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:14 AM
    Let me see if I understand you.

You were a teacher for your mother language in a hair school?

I don't understand "I took my licence like layer." Do you mean LAWYER?

Feb 13, 2010, 08:15 AM
    I tried 4 years, every day to learn english. In Canada I don't have job ( because I don't understand english ) and I have entire time to learn. But really nothing working ! I tried all the ways to learn english, and nothing !

Anodher friends, was learning very fast englis : few month in the imigrants english school . My husband never learned english in school and he is fluent in english !
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
    We all learn at different paces. You can't expect to learn as fast as anyone else. How old are you?

Feb 13, 2010, 08:17 AM
    I try again : I was techer to modher language. My students was in the hairschool. My job like a teacher, was in the hairschool .
    Yes, it means "lawyer" .

Feb 13, 2010, 08:18 AM
    I am 37 years old.
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zooland View Post
    I try again : I was techer to modher language. My students was in the hairschool. My job like a teacher, was in the hairschool .
    Yes, it means "lawyer" .
    No, actually it does not mean lawyer. A LAWYER is a person who has been to college for many years to learn the law. They sue people in court. They do not teach people how to cut or take care of hair.

Feb 13, 2010, 08:43 AM

Yes, I was 5 years in the University for learn the law. I have 2 degree : one for teacher , one for lawyer ( in my country, of corse ).
    Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 08:46 AM
    I understand now. You see, these are things I need to know so that I can help you.

Have you checked into a speech therapist?

Feb 13, 2010, 09:00 AM

No, I don't was to a speech therapist, because I can't afford that. My husband have a survival job, I don't have job ( because I don't understand english ) and the healt insurance don't cover the speech therapist. I am really stuck.
    Do you have any ideea ?

Do you have any ideea, how is possible to have a very good modher tongue, but so bad in second language ? I am suspicious :maybe I have anodher type of learning disabilityes ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search