Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    broken ankle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 01:59 PM
    Can I sue my dad's homeowners insurance for my fall resulting in a broken ankle?
    I recently fell and broke my ankle. The accident occurred while I was visiting my parents home. My dad was shampooing the carpet and left a large amount of water on the tile directly below the staircase. As I came down the stairs I slipped on the wet tile and broke my ankle in three places. I will need to have surgery and have a metal screw and plate placed in my ankle permanently. I had just started a new job and will be out of work for some time. So my question is, Can I sue my dads homeowners insurance? Can he file a claim against his insurance? How does this work?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 02:03 PM

Do you live there or where you visiting. If visiting, then you can. If you live there, you can't.
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 02:03 PM

Sure, you're entitled to file a claim. The Medical Payments on the policy would cover your injuries and medical expenses and the Liability would cover your missed time from work. After all, he was negligent by leaving the water on the floor which caused you to get hurt.

The question is: Do you really want to put your parents through this? I mean legally speaking, you have every right to file the claim for your losses. It's just a matter of depending on much you stand to gain monetarily versus what you stand to lose by damaging your relationship with your parents.

But yes, you could file a claim for this situation.

Feb 12, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nikosmom View Post
    The question is: Do you really want to put your parents through this?? I mean legally speaking, you have every right to file the claim for your losses. It's just a matter of depending on much you stand to gain monetarily versus what you stand to lose by damaging your relationship with your parents.

But yes, you could file a claim for this situation.
    I'm worried about how this will affect my parents as well. Will their insurance go up? I wasn't considering this until it was brought to our attention by another family member. She thinks I should file the claim and says it won't hurt my parents. My dad is concerned about my ability to pay my bills since I will be out of work. I just started the new job so I don't think I'm eligible for unemployment or disability. He feels guilty about leaving the water on the floor. He says to do it and he will have to deal with any increase in their insurance rate.

Not sure I want to go through with it yet. Just need advice on what my options are I guess.
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 03:03 PM

Yes, it could affect their rates. A few things will be factored in. For one, it depends on how long he's been insured with his current company. If he's been insured with them for a long time with no claims, then he may not see much of an increase. Also, the total amount that the company ends up paying out makes a difference too.

If he hasn't been with the company long (usually less than 3 years) then he could possibly be cancelled.

You may want to see how long you expect to be out of work etc before making your decision. If it were anyone else, I'd say to file the claim. However, I understand that you wouldn't want to put your folks in a bad situation where they're possibly facing not being able to get insurance elsewhere.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2010, 03:10 PM

First, before you sue, just file a claim. This comes under their liability coverage and they may cover it. The only way you need to sue is if they deny the claim. In which case you sue both your parents and the carrier.

Feb 12, 2010, 05:52 PM
    My parents have had the same homeowners insurance since they have owned this home, 10 years. They have only filed one claim in the past for some water damage which only paid them around $1000.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    First, before you sue, just file a claim. This comes under their liability coverage and they may cover it. The only way you need to sue is if they deny the claim. In which case you sue both your parents and the carrier.
    Oh so filing a claim is not really suing, I see. That makes me feel a little better about it. But who files the claim, me or my dad?

Also, I have medical insurance so my medical bills are covered. So I guess I would be filing a claim for lost wages, future medical bills, pain and suffering?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 12, 2010, 06:09 PM

I believe you file the claim since you were the injured party. But have your dad call his agent or the carrier to make sure.

As for your medical bills, didn't they ask if the injury was a result of an accident?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 06:16 PM

You don't sue the insurance company, you will have to sue your parents, many companies will not pay unless one party sues the other.

But you can try making a claim against your parents, who will turn it over to the insurance, it will depend on the company if they will require you to sue parents first.

Next yes it will effect their insurance, either their rates are likely to go up, but very likely they can expect to be cancelled
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 07:16 PM

My experience is a single claim won't raise rates or cause cancellation but since Katrina and a few other disasters there are companies looking for a reason to dump clients. Ask your agent how his employer will react to the claim. This is what insurance is for so don't be shy if your claim is valid
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 07:36 PM

It really doesn't matter who files the claim- either you or your dad could call it in. Filing the claim is just a matter of reporting it and getting the ball rolling.

The insurance company is looking to keep their costs down so they're going to check into the validity of the claim before they pay your for lost wages, etc. More than likely you will need a lawyer to help you with this. Sure your dad was negligent by leaving the water on the floor where you slipped but the insurance company won't just write a blank check for your time missed from work. That's where things could get a little hairy and you may need legal representation (who will often take their fee from any settlement you're awarded).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ankle surgery broken tibia/fibula [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I broke my tibia/fibula and had ankle surgery needing plates and screws etc.. This was in January and I was not able to put any weight on that leg/foot for 3mos. Now I have a cam boot and have started to apply weight as tolerated with a walker or crutches. I have started PT and am in so much...

How long does a Broken Ankle take to heal? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I broke my Ankle in January 2009, both of the bones and had an operation and got nine screws put in and I finally got a job and during the day it swells up, but on the next morning it is a lot better, any advise what I can do to make it better, besides not walking, I have a job where I sit...

USAA refused me homeowners insurance [ 7 Answers ]

USAA refused me homeowners insurance because they found a five year old credit card debt of mine that they had written off (5 years ago). I have been (and currently am) a USAA member for 40 years and have had active auto insurnce with them all that time. The cc debt is apparently $6,000. ...

My Dogs & Homeowners Insurance [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I live in the Georgia Area, and my Insurance company just cancelled our insurance because we have Pit Bulls. We just purchased this house last month, and had no idea what to ask for from insurance. My dogs are very loving, and sweet... My children have been close to them for years... I...

Homeowners insurance & uninsured contractors Accidents [ 13 Answers ]

If a uninsured roofer is doing a job on a home and they do not clean up after job isdone leaving all lose shingles on roof, and a person walks past home gets hit with debris and gets severely injured and sues the homeowner and contractor who is liable?

View more questions Search