Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    edpa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 08:03 AM
    What size meter/tap size do I need to run public water 0.3 miles from meter to house
    I need to connect to public water for a variety of reasons. City Engineering has told me I need to make the determination of tap size. House is ~ 0.3 miles from where meter will be installed on driveway/public street junction. City Engineering will make no recommendations on tap size but have given me pricing for 3/4", 1' and 1 1/2". It is obviously more expensive the larger we go. Does anyone have any recommendations on appropriate tap/pipe size and schedule to run this long length of pipe and maintain adequate flow?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2010, 08:11 AM

I would go with a one inch meter and water service. But first I would want to know what the street pressure at the meter was. There will be some friction line loss in a service that long that would affect the pressure going into the house.
    Call the water department and ask.
    Then let me know. Good luck, Tom
    edpa1 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2010, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    I would go with a one inch meter and water service. But first I would want to know what the street pressure at the meter was. There will be some friction line loss in a service that long that would affect the pressure going into the house.
    Call the water department and ask.
    Then let me know. Good luck, Tom
    Tom, water department tells me 80-90 pounds at the meter. 1" still sound good? Jim
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2010, 05:20 PM

Hey Jim,
    Sounds great. As a matter of factyoumight have to install a PRV (pressure reducing valve) Check the pressure after you get the service run and reduce it down to a 45 to 60 PSI range remembering that the more pressure the more strain on the pipe joints, faucets and appliances that use water. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire size for new electrical meter [ 3 Answers ]

I'm moving my electrical meter due to our new kitchen addition. The new meter will feed two 200 amp panels. The first panel will be approximately 130' away and the second will be 230' away. What type of wire should I use for these runs?

Water meter size [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1" water line coming in to the house and a 5/8 " water meter (old) after the meter is 1" all the way up to my third floor apartment then it branches out to 1/2" all plumbing is new in 2004 except meter. The city is replacing meters and I have asked them to put in a 3/4" or 1" meter at...

What size meter can do I need for 150A service [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house with a 100A panel & am adding 2 60 A breakers to the existing 6 20A ,4 15A, 2 30A 220v 1 50A 220v Do I have enough to use the 100A panel or do I have to upgrade. I have a 150 A panel with all the breakers I need. If so, what size meter can do I use 100A or 200A?

View more questions Search