Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristy h Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 09:42 PM
    Want to change the last name of my 2year old but his father won't sign the papers..
    My 2year-old has his biological fathers last name and I want to change it before I get married mid this year and his biological father won't sign the change of name papers (nsw) what can I do?
    southerngal77 Posts: 29, Reputation: 3

Feb 12, 2010, 07:08 AM

If he refuses to sign the name change papers I don't believe there is anything that you can do. Could be wrong, states have different laws, I have a friend from Florida whose mother changed his last name from the one of his biological dad to her previous married surname but she had to go to court to do it and don't know how. But why would you want to change his name? I know in many states in order to change the name of your child you must provide a good reason for doing so. This could also come back to haunt you when the child gets older, my friend still resents his mother for changing his surname to suit her own agenda. Just saying...
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 07:57 AM

If the father does not agree to it then the name will be left alone. Would you want the father to be able to change the name with out you being in agreement? I don't think so which is why both parents have to sign the papers and go to court to have it officially done. Of course you can call the child anything you want as long as you use the legal name on legal things i.e. school records, medication, doctors office, and so on.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 01:57 PM

If he absolutely refuses you can still take him to court over it. The problem is at best you might end up with a hyphenated name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a soon to be father but my ex won't let me sign th birth certificate? [ 8 Answers ]

Im 19 and my ex is 16 her parents don't want the baby to have my last name and she don't eather she said if my last name gets put on there then she won't but if not she will I don't know what to do I want to sighn the certificate and it have my last name please someone help me asap pleas.

Do I have to sign divorce papers [ 9 Answers ]

My husband wants a divorce. Do have to go through with it? He wants me to sign papers.

Spouse refusing to sign divorce papers. [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, Me and my spouse were married in NYC in 1999. I left with my children and relocated to Atlanta in 2006. I have a temporary child support order. My spouse still resides in NYC and was served divorce papers in November 2008 after we agreed to each term. He refuses to sign them after I have...

Are you in the right state of mind with dimentia to sign legal papers [ 2 Answers ]

Is someone who has been diagnosed with dimentia , are they still able to sign for medical release and other legal documents with out their POA involved?

Filing abandonment papers against daughters father [ 2 Answers ]

How do I go about filing abandonment papers against my daughters father who has had no contact with her for over 3 years, so that when my new boyfriend and I get married he can legally adopt her?

View more questions Search