Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    craig1981 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 03:19 PM
    Pioneer help desk
    Can my vsx-819h work a subwoofer that is not powered? I set up a speaker wire with a rca connection to the subwoofer out on the back of the receiver but no sound comes out of the sub?
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Feb 11, 2010, 10:25 PM
    No, if the subwoofer output is an RCA connector, then it's just a 'line-out' signal, and requires a powered sub-woofer. Or you could use a separate amplifier (say if you had an old stereo amplifier lying around) to drive your passive sub-woofer, assuming the amp has enough power output.

Daniel

Feb 12, 2010, 11:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    No, if the subwoofer output is an RCA connector, then it's just a 'line-out' signal, and requires a powered sub-woofer. Or you could use a separate amplifier (say if you had an old stereo amplifier lying around) to drive your passive sub-woofer, assuming the amp has enough power output.

Daniel
    Thanks for that, I've got a separate denon amp, would this work and what connections would I have to make? Do I do from sub output to an outlet from denon amp(cd) maybe, then select cd on denon output and connect sub speaker to speaker outputs? Sorry if this doesn't make sense as you can prob tell I'm pretty new to all this. Many thanks again
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Feb 12, 2010, 05:38 PM
    Craig,

Yes, you've got it right. Note that the sub output from the surround amp is only mono (a single RCA socket), so it will go to one channel only of the Denon amp. If, for example, you connected it to the LEFT (white) CD input, then you'd connect the sub-woofer to the LEFT speaker terminals only, and, as you surmised, select 'CD' on the Denon amp.

You'll need to experiment with the volume setting of the Denon to get the tonal balance correct (i.e. just the right amount of bass from the sub-woofer for the amount of mid and high frequencies coming from your other speakers). Once you find this setting, DON'T TOUCH the Denon volume again, but just use the Pioneer volume as the 'master' volume control.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Daniel

Feb 13, 2010, 09:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielF View Post
    Craig,

Yes, you've got it right. Note that the sub output from the surround amp is only mono (a single RCA socket), so it will go to one channel only of the Denon amp. If, for example, you connected it to the LEFT (white) CD input, then you'd connect the sub-woofer to the LEFT speaker terminals only, and, as you surmised, select 'CD' on the Denon amp.

You'll need to experiment with the volume setting of the Denon to get the tonal balance correct (i.e. just the right amount of bass from the sub-woofer for the amount of mid and high frequencies coming from your other speakers). Once you find this setting, DON'T TOUCH the Denon volume again, but just use the Pioneer volume as the 'master' volume control.

Let us know if you have any problems.

Daniel
    Thanks Daniel, it works :D much apprieciated!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pioneer subs [ 12 Answers ]

What does the dual mean in front of the ohms? Like 1200 w dual 4 ohm sub

Pioneer avh-p6600dvd [ 2 Answers ]

My dvd will read dvd but not cd's. Any help?

Yamaha vs. Pioneer [ 0 Answers ]

Hi everyone! We're building a house and my husband arranged for the contractor to install in-ceiling wiring and speakers for a home theater system. (Of course he didn't bother to talk to me about it first.) So now I've found out that we have the following: 5 speakers by Proficient Audio...

View more questions Search