Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 10:22 AM
    Poor old lovely pet
    I think you all know that my dog Taffy has been ailing, well I think its time. She hasn't moved from the one spot since yesterday afternoon. She can get out but has to be carried back in. I went to work today and my son and hubby had to deal with the situation. We all love her deeply. I have had her since she was five weeks old and she is now l3. She has been a wonderful lady. We are saying goodbye to her today. She is suffering, not eating or drinking. So we have an appt. at 5:30 today at the vets. Folks, this is hard.

Sad tick
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 10:32 AM

Oh, Tick. I'm so sorry.

My Mom had to put down our beloved Abby-girl on Saturday. We had her for 20 years. She was our connector cat to my Dad, who has passed on.

I'm going to attach a link to a beautiful poem that a friend gave to me this week...

You'll be in my thoughts.

<Petloss.com - Rainbow Bridge>
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick View Post
    Oh, Tick. I'm so sorry.

My Mom had to put down our beloved Abby-girl on Saturday. We had her for 20 years. She was our connector cat to my Dad, who has passed on.

I'm going to attach a link to a beautiful poem that a friend gave to me this week....

You'll be in my thoughts.

<Petloss.com - Rainbow Bridge>
    Thanks so much for your lovely thought. I didn't get weepy until I read you link. Its 3:15 here, I just got home from work and the appt. is for 5:30. I am prepared. She isn't any better and will not be. I know my pup inside and out.

Hugs and thank you again
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 01:14 PM

I know this is rough. We all knew at Christmas that it would be Abby's last holiday with us, but it still hurts.

She was also at the point where walking hurt her, her little legs would wobble, she couldn't jump, and her bladder started having issues.

Even though we see them hurt, it hurts us so much to have to let them go.

Take some pictures with you all before you take you're her over. She'll forever live in your family's hearts.

Take care.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 11, 2010, 01:42 PM

I'm so sorry, tickle. I know it's hard.
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisit View Post
    I'm so sorry, tickle. I know it's hard.
    Thanks, luvvy, I am holding in there. She is laying right beside me; she raised her head to give me a kiss; her first to me today. It has been a long day, longer for my son and hubby who have been with her all day. I am fortifying myself with vodka and soda and a twist of lime. It is our happy hour together still, but not tomorrow.
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 11, 2010, 02:43 PM

Awww (((hugs))) You are doing the right thing. Stay strong
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 05:22 PM

Hugs Tick

Been there done that and it's horrible , just remember she'll be in a far better place once put to rest and be able to run and jump again with all the other Angel Dogs.
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 05:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by friend4u178 View Post
    Hugs Tick

Been there done that and it's horrible , just remember she'll be in a far better place once put to rest and be able to run and jump again with all the other Angel Dogs.
    Hugs back for the thought. She is gone now. She had been completely enemic by today apparently. I knew something was terribly wrong anyway. Yes, she can run her heart out again. She was unstoppable.

Tick
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 05:55 PM

<<HUGS>>

You guys are in my thoughts.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 08:21 PM

I'm so sorry Tick, I know how hard it is.
    I'm positive she knows how much you love her, dogs can tell these things.

And yes, I'm sure she is having so much fun right now running and jumping and being a puppy again :)
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    I'm so sorry Tick, I know how hard it is.
    I'm positive she knows how much you love her, dogs can tell these things.

And yes, I'm sure she is having so much fun right now running and jumping and being a puppy again :)
    Hi, shaz, first morning without her here. I knew this would be the hardest part. Pickle, my cat, is confused, they used to sit after eating in the morning, together with me at the computer while I was on here. Its around 6:30am here now. Yesterday she was very weak, couldn't go out, lost her bladder in the house. The vet said last summer when she damaged that leg that she wouldn't last through the winter. She had been enemic off and on for a the last few years so that didn't help her condition. I refused to believe it, but that's how it came to be eventually. Vet said she was surprised she lasted this long. This all came about in the last two weeks. Its funny you know, Dr. Shand said that when I noticed that she couldn't possibly please me any longer then it would be the end. I will never doubt my vet again.

By yesterday afternoon, her gums were almost completely white.

Chris, my son, carried her out to the car, she was just such a big girl, lovely animal. He had carried her home at five weeks old 13 years ago, so it was only fitting that he wanted to be with her in the back seat.

Thanks Shazzy, hugs. I knew getting up in the morning with her not here was going to be the hardest thing to do.

Annie
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 06:06 AM

We are here for you Tick.
    It sounds like you have some wonderful memories to share when you are ready.
    You did the right thing, for both her and you.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 12:39 PM

Tick, I am so sorry for your loss. May she be remembered for the love and joy she brought your family.

{{{{{{{Tick}}}}}}}
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 02:10 PM

Sorry to hear this Tick. Losing a pet is hard because they become part of the family. Just rest easy (or easier) knowing that you're doing the right thing for her by putting an end to her suffering.

Take care,
    NM
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 02:28 PM

Thanks, cats and nikos, you don't know how much I appreciate your sentiments. I just love how we all stick together with the support when a loss is evident. It has gotten better for my son and I as the day wears on, but coming back from shopping and not seeing her greeting us, well, you both know I am sure.

Thanks again

Annie
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 02:41 PM

I'm so sorry Tick. I have had to do this also so I know the pain you are going through.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together

-Anonymous
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 02:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    well, you both know I am sure.

annie
    Unfortunately, I do. Cats and I have been there before and are facing the same decision with our Rissa. It is very difficult to lose someone you love even if they are four-footed and furry.

You are all (even the cat) in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

Cat
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 03:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    I'm so sorry Tick. I have had to do this also so I know the pain you are going through.

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called the Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to the Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together

-Anonymous
    Yes, that's beautiful. Made me teary again. I going to have to meet two or three then and we will be a crowd running together... a horse along the way too.

Tick
    Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat1864 View Post
    Unfortunately, I do. Cats and I have been there before and are facing the same decision with our Rissa. It is very difficult to lose someone you love even if they are four-footed and furry.

You are all (even the cat) in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.

Cat
    Oh yes, little Pickle. She was great friends with Taffy. When Pickle was small she used to sleep on Taffy's back for warmth. I think Pickle is adjusting now at the end of the day. She is getting special attention from all of us. My little barn cat who never grew out of the barn really. She is still a tad feral, that is her charm I think; it gives her much attitude and we love her more for how she is.

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

She's so lovely [ 3 Answers ]

Well I've been hanging out with this girl lately, and I'm trying to figure out if she likes me more than just friends. She comes over to this guys apartment a lot, and I do too. It seems like whenever I'm sitting somewhere she always comes and sits right next to me, no matter how many other places...

The lovely human heart [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I've got a biology test next Monday and need to ace this test. I had one about the heart last Thursday which if I may say so I did an excellent job on. There are just a few things I need to clarify so that I'm confident I know the chapter. Today we studied the PO2, which if I recall...

My lovely parents [ 6 Answers ]

Hi all, I just want to share my feelings to you. I have been brought up in a very happy way by my parents. They get me everything what I need. I got married recently and I find it very difficult leaving them and staying in my husband's house. My husband is not friendly to anyone. He is just...

Lovely nails [ 1 Answers ]

Hey guys. I want big nails. What shoud I do to get bigger nails?

Fair lovely [ 1 Answers ]

Hi mother er any one want to care his skin to come his person for me. I care for it. I always sleeping his bed. And...

View more questions Search