Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cakella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 09:06 AM
    L1 Visa Resident alien - foreign income
    Hi

I moved to USA from India in June 2009 on a inter company visa (L1). Do I need to declare the income I have earned in India during Jan - May 2009 while filing tax returns?

Thanks
    Chandra
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 09:26 AM

When (which date) you entered the U.S. Did you spend any time during 2007 and 2008 in the U.S. Are you married?
    cakella Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 11:06 AM
    Thanks MuktaA for responding this fast. I moved to USA on June 7 2009. I was in USA for 20 days in 2008. Yes I am married
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 12, 2010, 12:56 AM

Yes, you can file joint return as residents. You will get standard deduction of $11,400 and exemptions ($3,650 each) for both of you.

You must both declare your worldwide income for 2009. If you have any foreign income, and on that income you paid taxes in the foreign country, then you can claim foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or you can use Foreign Earned Income Exclusion (Form 2555). Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income

You will complete forms W7 (application for ITIN) for your spouse and children and attach with your tax return. You can also deduct moving expenses. Use form 3903. Your U.S. Tax Return: The U.S. Visas

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Resident alien with foreign income and nonresident wife [ 4 Answers ]

I am on F1 visa and I am considered a resident alien because I stayed in US from 1997 to 2001 on F1 visa and beginning 2007 until now also on F1 visa. In 2008, I earned income in the US and was still receiving income from my home country. My wife is working in US but she's a nonresident. We have...

Dual-status alien or alien resident income tax return [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am getting ready to prepare our 2009 tax returns and am not sure what to do. I am a US citizen. My husband is a permanent resident. He arrived in the US from Italy in February 2009 on a K-1 visa. We married in March and he got his green card in July 2009. My husband worked in Italy...

Income tax returns Resident Alien or Non Resident alien [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I came to USA for the first time on July 5, 2007 and working here in NJ. I am currently on H1B (Sept 2006 - Sept 2009). I am married and my wife came here in Sepetember 2007 on H4. My question is whether I need to file income tax returns as Resident alien or Non-resident alien for 2007? In...

1st year under L1 visa - Foreign Income - resident or not resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am in Miami and have a L1A VISA since May 2006 and getting a US-based salary since then. Am I considered non-resident alien or resident alien ? I received both foreign-based salary and US-based salary during all 2006. What do I write in line #21 description ? "Foreign income" ?...

1st year as a resident alien under L1 visa - Foreign Income / Medicare Taxes [ 11 Answers ]

Hello, We arrived together with my wife and my son March 1st 2006 on a L-1 visa (L-2 for my wife and my son). Before this date, we were resident of France. Our stay in the US could be from 1 to 3 years (could end this year or next year). After that, we will be again resident of France. Our stay...

View more questions Search