Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dh72685 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2010, 02:31 AM
    What does life estate mean in NC
    My parents deeded property to me with a life estate. My father died owing a mortgage. Does the remaining debt have to be paid if he owned no real estate at the time of death?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 06:07 AM

If he deeded the property to you, how did he get a mortgage on the property ? TO transfer the dedd to someone else, the liens on property have to be cleared at the time of sale ( transfer) if not, most mortages have a due and payable clause that makes the entire note due at that time.

But your choices are of course not to pay the mortgage and let them foreclose on the home. Or pay the mortgage and keep the home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Life Estate [ 1 Answers ]

My mother has a life estate. I would like to have her siblings release their interest in the property to me. How do I do that?

Life estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Can some one explain to me what the difference between a life estate and an estate being gifted to some one in a will. I have a friend who says she was gifted with a house from her inlaws and then said it was a life estate. When I asked her to explain she says they were the same thing....

Life Estate [ 2 Answers ]

My mother was given a life estate and the trust also states my older sister has a life estate; the trustee had the attorney that wrote the trust give my sister a letter telling her she has the same rights as our mother to the property. However, we have been researching this Life Estate issue. It...

View more questions Search