Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 12:35 AM
    Free Web Design
    Hi there.

I know this is a long shot, but does anyone know of someone that does web design for free? I can't really afford to pay anyone but it's a really simple site and I just want a pretty and functional design.

Thanks.
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Feb 11, 2010, 09:05 PM
    Hi,
    I have not used this site personally but I found it while searching on YouTube.com under How to Make a Website for Free. You might want to Google it or check on Yelp.com and see what other users are saying about it.

Click Here:
    Webs - Make a free website, get free hosting

Another tip I saw on the internet is that you can download DreamWeaver for a free 30 trial offer. DreamWeaver is verrrrry straightforward and easy to use. You can probably have a site completed in a few of days.

I would first check out several free "How to make a website using DreamWeaver" vids on YouTube.com then plan my layout complete with copy and pics before downloading the trial. YouTube.com has lots of vids on how to make a website.

If you want a very simple site, you can always download free templates. There are hundreds online. I would first Google or Yelp.com to see what others think about that particular service.

If you are completely in the dark on how to do any of this stuff, contact a local College or University multi-media department. They'll have students in the more advanced classes willing to help you put together your site as a school project. I offered my design services for free at my University for community projects. There are lots of students willing to help out.

Good luck!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 02:19 PM

Hey Momma! Do you know where you're planning to have this hosted? Sometimes the hosting site will have templates you can use. Keep in mind those can be limited as to how much you can do with them. If you're looking for simple, that's probably simple.

I thought Dreamweaver was a thing for doing big database stuff? Maybe I'm confusing that with something else.

How about a really good friend who owes you a favor? LOL.

You can try the college student idea, but keep in mind that many of their projects have a certain learning objective in them and they have to stick to certain types of things, which may not fit in with what you want. Also keep in mind they won't be there to help you maintain it.

Don't you already have a website?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 06:29 PM

When I make a website I just Google "Free Web Templates"
    Find one that I like and modify it to what I need.
    You need to make sure you find one that allows modifying and usually you have to leave the small copyright logo at the bottom of the site (just to show who originally made the template)

If you would like help with making a layout or modifying a template I'd be happy to help.

Dreamweaver and coffee cup are good but I stick with just plain 'ol Microsoft Word when editing web pages.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 10:25 PM
    Hi, Momma!

It seems like we may have been down this same path previously, although I don't really remember...

I have lots of ideas for you and can even help you to develop your own template. A lot of the free sites for hosting will allow you to use your own template.

Thanks!
    Vision Expert

Feb 13, 2010, 03:28 AM

I'm completely in the dark about this. I have the site hosted already, I just want a re-design (sorry I wasn't clear on that). What I have is very simple and I want something more functional. Here I can give examples.

Here is my current site:
    My Cup Of Tea

I love the style and functionality of these sites:
    A pocket full of posies...
    CLOSETBUG

Perhaps I just need a new header designed that I can work around...

Shazzy, if you could help I would be oh so grateful.

The one I currently have I tweaked a little on my own. The header I made myself but I just want something newer and sleeker.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 01:41 AM

I actually find your site easier to navigate than the other 2 you posted, I like the colors better as well, easier on the eyes.

What do you use to edit your pages CM?
    (As in adding info and images?)
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 01:45 AM

I didn't use anything. I just googled stuff. I used paint to make the header. I want a signature and need to create a place where people can contact me. I need a ne header too and I need a whole new color scheme, preferably a white background. I don't care for my layout any longer.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 02:34 AM

But how do you update the page?
    I'm asking because if I help you make a page I want to make sure its easy for you to update yourself ;)

Like when you added the scarf on there?
    I'm not very familiar with blog sites, I just create a series of pages in Word and then upload them to a site, if I want to update anything I have to do so in Word again and then re-upload it.
    Is there a way to update it by going to blogspot?

This is the site I made just using a template I found and modified.
    http://paintingsandportraits.webuda.com/
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 02:41 AM

I go in and click "edit" and change options. It's all a template. When I add the scarves I clicked "new entry" and typed the blog and clicked post. I'm not really sure if that answers your question.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 02:43 AM

Okies, yep that answers it for me.

If you don't get any other answers (I hope you do though) then just give me a couple of days to fiddle around with blogspot.
    I have an insanely busy week planned but hopefully I can get on and check it out :)
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 02:46 AM

That would be cool, thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 14, 2010, 03:01 AM

First, I do not recommend using Word as WEB authoring tool. While it does allow you to save a Word document as an HTML page, the HTML code is very bloated.

Second, A WEB site is just a collection of files. The key to it being a WEBsite is that its stored on a WEB server. So when you type an address (URL) into your browser, the browser sends out data packets across the Net, looking for the URL. When it finds it, it downloads the file to your system and the browser reads the file and renders it for you to view.

So, when managing a site, you can edit pages in one of two ways.
    A) you can use a WEB authoring tool on your own system to edit pages. You then upload the pages to the WEB server, generally using FTP (which is a technology for transferring files across the Internet.
    B) You can use a tool offered by the site to make changes to a template.

Obviously A offers much more flexibility. But some sites, like blog sites may not allow it.
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 03:16 AM

Yep that's where I got confused Scott, I didn't realise blogspot had their own editing features.
    I've never used blog sites before I usually just make a page from scratch.
    If anyone knows how blog sites work you would be able to help a lot more than me, I'll still have a go though.
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 03:24 AM

Thanks guys. I'm really not that great at stuff like this. I can edit my myspace but this is just beyond me.
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 03:25 AM
    Shaz- I can start looking or blogspot templates I like, if that helps!
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 03:26 AM

Yeah go for it, just post any you like the look of here.
    Vision Expert

Feb 14, 2010, 03:31 AM

Cool.
    I will do that.
    Vision Expert

Feb 22, 2010, 04:25 PM

Shazzy, I need you!! I found and applied a really cool template, but am having a few issues...
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2010, 08:33 PM

What do you need help with CM? (sorry I haven't done much yet, am pretty much free after tomorrow though)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

WEB Page Design [ 1 Answers ]

How can I design a web site How can I design a web site of 3mb

Web design, in MS Word? [ 11 Answers ]

Hello all, I once read that it was possible to create a website on MS word, I managed to create the web site but had problems putting it onto the net. When I tried this a message said, "the operation had timed out". What am I doing wrong? Please help, as you can probabily tell by my post I don't...

CSS Web design [ 4 Answers ]

Good morning, I've been trying to do CSS on my new website for a while. I've been able to design some new templates in Dreamweaver, and I've created quite a few CSS styles. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to see my styles appear on any web interfaces. Internet Explorer and Firefox,...

How to design a web browser using VB [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to design a web browser in visual basic and I don't know how to start or how to design it. Can somebody give me some tips on how to do it and also some codes? In that web browser also, I would like to use a customized image to make it unique. Can someone help out? :confused:

View more questions Search