Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cara_tazz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 24, 2006, 04:04 AM
    Cracking and peeling paint... help!!
    We are currently doing up a rental property in return for cheap rent with option to buy. The interior paint is cracked and peeling in many places. The paint that peels off is 1.5 mm thick. What is the best way of preparing the walls for painting? How much should we scrape off? I'm worried that if we don't scrape enough off then the paint will only peel or crack again... but to scrape all off is a massive job... Really have no idea what to do so any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Nov 24, 2006, 12:44 PM
    With that thickness of paint, some of it is probably lead-based. Be sure to take appropriate precautions, especially if you have small children.

In terms of the wall, you definitely need to remove all loose and peeling paint. With such thick divots, you will probably have to fill them with joint compound.
    DAVE231 Posts: 91, Reputation: 9

Nov 26, 2006, 04:32 PM
    We bought an 85 year old home for a great price, although we experienced similar problems that you describe. Room by room we covered the peeling and deteriorating plaster/lath wall with new drywall. If you are considering buying this home, you might want to calculate the covering of the wall in lieu of the time and hazards involved with scraping/sanding. Depending on the amount of peeling, look into wallpaper as well. Good Luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to prevent a tan from peeling? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew what I can use to prevent my tan from peeling and my skin getting too dry? Thanks.

Help, my new bathtub is cracking! [ 15 Answers ]

We had our bathroom remodeled in April of this year. A Sterling Acclaim 71091110-0 was installed by our contractor. Right after it was installed, we informed him that it was making loud popping noises when you stepped in it. Our contractor said it would go away. Well, it didn't and now it creeks...

Skin around piercing is peeling [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I Don't No If You Can Answer My Question But Im Giving It A Try Anyway. Well I Was Jus Wandering I Jus Got My Bell Button Pierced About Maby A Week Ago And Around It ,it Looks Like My Skin Sometimes Is Pilling .is This Normal? And I Was Wondering What Is The Best Stuff To Use To Clean It? ...

Papaya Whitening Peeling Cream [ 0 Answers ]

Has anyone used this product before? It's supposed to peel off dead skin cells and make you more radiant/lighter? If anyone has used this product please give me some feedback.. this will help the rest of us learn more about the product!

Front door peeling [ 1 Answers ]

My front door clear coat is flaking it goes not receive a lot of sun light. The door is fiberglass and is stained. Any ideas how to fix this problem.

View more questions Search