Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bluquail Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 09:12 PM
    How can I line up the auger and shaft horizontally to replace the shear pin?
    I snapped the shear pin on the left auger of my snowblower. I have no trouble lining the auger and the shaft. My problem is that when they are aligned rotationally, the holes are off slightly horizontally. Enough that I cannot get the remainder of the pin out. There is no play in the auger at all. I have tried a little persuasion with a rubber mallet to no avail and am afraid to apply too much force. How can I get them to align? Thanks.
    Carl
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 09:29 PM

A model # or a picture might help.

Here is a good link: http://www.abbysguide.com/ope/discussions/8459-0-1.html

For insertion, use the pin punch on the opposite side to align and use a larger pin punch to set.

Feb 11, 2010, 09:55 AM
    Thanks for the reply. I had read through all of those before and they did not help for my case. The holes are not lined up horizontally. I have no problem lining them up in the
    Rotational direction. Any other thoughts?

Feb 11, 2010, 10:47 AM

The snowblower is a craftsman model number 247888550. The holes are misaligned from right to left which you can sort of see in the one picture. The drive shaft hole being slightly to the right.
    Attached Images

Feb 11, 2010, 03:57 PM
    Turns out that there was a rock jammed in the auger which I could not see because of the snow. For anyone in the future who might come across this problem the auger should spin freely when the shear pin is snapped. Once I removed the rock I was easily able to adjust the auger side to side to line the holes up horizontally.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks. Glad you got it fixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do craftsman snowblowers have a shear pin on the second stage [ 2 Answers ]

My snowblower does not push out the snow like it use to does the secind stage have a shear pin?

How to tell if a shear pin is broken in a snowblower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a John Deere snowblower that only 1 side of the outer auger is spinning when engaged/running. The other side does not move & freely spins when the motor is off. I am assuming this to be a shear pin. Or does anyone else have any ideas?

Snowblower shear pin [ 1 Answers ]

On my Craftsman snowblower, I need to put in a new shear pin. (model #536-886120)There are two holes on the outside of the shaft that goes through the left tire. Into which hole do I put the shear pin - the one closest to the tire or on the outside? THANKS

Snow blower shear pin [ 1 Answers ]

I broke a shear pin on my craftsman snow thrower. The head and retainer nut are sheared off properly but I don't know how to get the actual pin out of the shaft. Should I just use a small screwdriver and hammer and just knock it out? I have replacement pins.

View more questions Search