Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wall12 Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2010, 04:20 PM
    Is this disrespectful?
    If you recently had a fallout with your partner, is it appropriate to keep talking as "friends" immediately after?
    Katie36d Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2010, 05:31 PM

Depends on the situation and what the reason for the break up was. If you were friends before lots of things
    Kitkat22 Posts: 6,302, Reputation: 1191
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 10:28 PM

If the breakup was an abusive one, then I'd say no. If you broke up because you have found someone new or vice versa I'd also say no. If you parted on good terms then I don't see a problem. Hope this helps.
    friend4u178 Posts: 3,349, Reputation: 1584
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 10:35 PM

If neither of you want the other one back I would say OK.

If one partner still wants the relationship to continue then a definite no-no , that just breeds False hope and stops them from starting the healing process.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 10:42 PM
    Not much backstory given.

Well... I don't believe it is disrespectful after a breakup for one person to ask for no contact. Might seem vindictive, but it often clears away the clutter and confusion that can be present when people try hard to stay friends. Even with an amicable break, sometimes more distance can help clear the way for focused grounding.

In this case... the person asking for NC is not being disrespectful generally... my opinion.

But if the other person doesn't respect that need... well, that's disrespectful, generally speaking... my opinion.

Sure, there are all kinds of angles that can muddle this... but I just don't think anyone has a right to demand their ex be buddies.

I'm close to a couple of my ex loves... but it took time and distance to come around. If "protocol" demanded I help support them as they are moving on... it wouldn't be pretty.

But... as mentioned... there's no one case fits all... depends on the people involved, their history, their needs in the moment, and on and on and on...

Dontcha love "maybe... maybe not" answers?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disrespectful Husband [ 3 Answers ]

My husband is a terrific guy, most of the time. However, there is one issue that I am not able to get my hands around. My husband has extended over the fence conversations with the next door neighbor who is a single, female parent. While I don't mind my husband conversing with neighbors, I do...

18 yr old disrespectful [ 8 Answers ]

Please for those of you who have young adult children I need some advice. This is a long complicated story but the short version is this... My daughter at 16 had to deal with the death of her biological father. She met a boy (criminal) completely disrespected me and her step father, lived on...

Disrespectful neighbors [ 7 Answers ]

MY husband,Myself and our 15yr.old Daughter have been living in our"HOME" for four years now and the apt. downstairs from us has been vacant the whole time we have been here. The people that moved in just recently do not fit in with this town t all. They are rude,crud,ugly and just had a child.This...

View more questions Search