Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sythiel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 04:00 PM
    Which form do I have to use for federal taxes?
    I worked as a J1 scholar from October 2008 to March 2009. In 2008 I sent a 1040NR-EZ form and a 8843 and I got a refund thanks to the US-Italy treaty. I want to do the same thing this year. Since I am not living in the US anymore should I file the 8843 form? If the answer is yes what should I put on the line "Enter the number of days in 2009 you claim you can exclude for purposes of the substantial presence test" if I spent 92 days in the US? What should I put on the line "Current nonimmigrant status and date of change" since I don't have a visa anymore?
    Thanks in advance for any answer I will receive.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 03:55 AM

Yes, for 2009 you must file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and Form 8843.
    For current non immigrant status, write None.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Filing Federal Taxes Jointly and State Taxes Separately [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are both on Active Duty in the Military, and we were married in May of this year so this will be the first year filing Jointly. Is it sensible to file joint federal taxes and separate state taxes this year (Wisconsin and Maryland) even though we are both stationed and living in...

Federal Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I owe the IRS money from a business I owned that has since closed. Do I have to sign over my refund check or can I just set up an installment plan?

Federal Taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got my w2's and the federal witholding tax was missing... What do I do?? And Why would it not be there?

View more questions Search