Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    agtriche Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 03:07 AM
    How to find beginning retained earnings with total revenues and total expenses
    The company's total equity increased by $32,000 during 2011. New stockholder investment during the year totaled $65,000. Total revenues during the year were $500,000 and total expenses were $460,000. Cash on decreased by $7,500 during the year. What amount of dividends did the company declare during 2011?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2010, 02:48 AM

Equity is:
    + investments
    + revenue
    - expenses
    - dividends

You have the amount of the increase, and you have two increases and a decrease given. See what those increases and decreases net out to. Compare that with the net increase of stockholders equity and see what dividends have to come out to make that number. It's working backwards.

You can't find the beginning retained earnings off this information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Year end total revenue from total expenses [ 2 Answers ]

I have a financial statement for a non-profit for four clinics, where you have to fill in the missing values. If you have a missing value for total revenue and have the value for total expenses and visa versa. How do you calculate the missing value? Do you obtain it from the...

How to find Total Liabilties, Total Stockholder's Equity? [ 0 Answers ]

Net Income $765 Net Sales $36,762 Profit Margin 2.1% Net Sales $36,762 Average Total Assets ($15,719 + $16,078) divided by 2 = $15,898.5 Asset Turnover 2.3 times Net Income $765 Average Total Assets (from...

Beginning Retained Earnings -? [ 2 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me where I should be looking in order to locate the 'Beginning" R/E? I've looked on the Balance Sheet and the Income Statement and I can't figure out where 'they' got the number. :confused:

View more questions Search