Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jwrath Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 09:17 PM
    Atlantis - The Lost Tales
    I'd like to make a question about this magnificent adventure game from Cryo.

Years ago when I was playing the PC version of this game, the characters during speech where 3D. Plus the movement through the environment was a pre-rendered video.

Unfortunately now with all the new computers and Windows,I can't play this game anymore. So I've decided to play its Playstation version via Epsxe.

In this version I notice that the characters are no longer 3D and there is no pre-rendered video, just a change of scene.

Is the PSX version actually like this, or do I have to make some changes in the settings to get the same performance as the PC version?
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 02:49 PM

Have you tried using Dosbox for those old games?
    DOSBox, an x86 emulator with DOS

You have to set up the config file but there's a forum there if you have trouble. It came out in 97 but I see there is a DOS version.

Or tried compatibility mode?

Just curious if you assumed you couldn't get it to work. I don't know about compatibility with Vista, if it even exists, but Dosbox works for it. I have XP and so far I've only run across one thing I can't getting working in it. (And I play a lot of old games.)
    Jwrath Posts: 53, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2010, 04:48 PM

I have Vista 32 and I'm about to upgrade to Windows 7.

Yes I know DosBox emulator and I've already tried it,since I love a lot of old games like Toonstruck, Dune, Under a Killing Moon, Crusader No Remorse, Crusader No Regret, Fade to Black etc. Problem is that DosBox gets on my nerves with all that configuration it has. If it was more simplified like Mame I'd love it.

In the matter of Atlantis, when I had XP it was working fine,but over the years service packs were applied and this as well as other old games stopped working.

Besides it's not only about what Windows you have but what hardware is installed as well. Old games don't recognize the newest graphic cards, DirectX and processors.

To give you some examples, Crimson Skies on XP with the latest graphic card installed and DirectX 9.0c, won't play saying that it can't find DirectX 7.

Plus Heroes of Might and Magic 1 doesn't recognize any windows above Windows 98 and any DirectX above version 5.Not to mention that it had it's music in audio form and there is no way you can make it work.

Final Fantasy VII simply won't work whatever you do.

Those 3 games are Windows games and DosBox won't help.

That's why I turned to PSX emulators as well as other consoles emulator, because they are easier to configure and they have a huge variety of games.
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2010, 10:02 PM

I'm not trying to make you use Dosbox, but I'm just wondering if you've ever tried the newer versions? Some things that didn't once work will work now. Like the first time I tried Betrayal at Krondor I couldn't get the full screen to work and it wouldn't support the CD music, and that music really makes the game. But with later versions it works just fine. So now I don't have to throw in on my '95 machine and try to deal with autoexec.bat and all that hassle.

HoMM is fully supported with v. . 72. The other ones I couldn't find, but no it doesn't work for Windows games, only Dos ones. And the DOS version of Atlantis is fully supported. I always try to keep getting the latest version cause more and more games will work with it. And they added support for Vista.

(I also don't find the config file all that much of a pain. I mounted every drive, including the CDs, and then I save an original copy of that. Then just usually a tweak or two and it works fine. Besides, apparently your PSX isn't working right either. Tweak one thing or tweak the other. That is what you were asking about, after all.)

And yes I know it's partly about hardware. Part of the point of Dosbox is emulating a hardware the game will recognize.

Again, not trying to force you into using it - but just wondering if you've tried a newer version. It makes a world of difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The moment you lost your virginity, tales from the past. [ 3 Answers ]

BBC iPlayer - Virgin Memories Check this out :P Its interesting..

Maytag Atlantis mdh7400aww [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Maytag Atlantis mdg7400aww gas dryer. It has always worked great.. 3 Yrs old. She used it this morning fine then this evening no heat! It operates fine otherwise. Where should I start?

Atlantis [ 1 Answers ]

I have read some fascinating stuff about the lost city of Atlantis. And wondered what other people thought on the subject. Thousand of years ago, it is believed that the gap between Gibralter, southern Spain, and the north coast of Africa was joint by land. This being the mouth of the...

View more questions Search