Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 07:46 PM
    Ants in my pants (or on my front porch)
    Last night we left the front security light on all night by accident and there were all these little oval shaped black bugs all over the concrete.
    (I'm assuming they knocked themselves out on the light)
    And each bug on the ground was surrounded by hundred of ants getting a free meal.

Is there are any natural way to kill them, or at least deter them?
    The dogs have access to this area so I don't want to use chemicals.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 08:05 PM

Get a security light mounted as far away from the porch as possible. The beetles (oval, black) will be attracted away and the ants will follow.

The ants can also be killed by mixing boric acid powder(roach powder from the grocer) with honey in a 1:3 ratio (teaspoon of boric acid to a tablespoon of honey) and the bait mixture put into soda straws cut to 2 inch lengths. Place the baited straws along the ant trail(not across it) where the dogs cannot get to them.

Your pants can best be discussed elsewhere.
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 03:38 AM

Cheers Cats, I'll give that a go tomorrow.
    How long do you think it would take to work?
    It's relatively easy blocking the dogs off from that part but I don't want to have to do it for weeks.
    Just as a side note... not currently wearing any pants ;)
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 03:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by shazamataz View Post
    Cheers Cats, I'll give that a go tomorrow.
    How long do you think it would take to work?
    It's relatively easy blocking the dogs off from that part but I don't want to have to do it for weeks.
    Just as a side note... not currently wearing any pants ;)
    Then don't do it. Baiting takes time, usually a minimum of three weeks. Are there any spots along the ant trail you could put straws where the dogs couldn't get them? Boric acid in these doses is unnoticeable to a poodle's metabolism, but if the dogs take the baits away the ants can't get any.

Lucky Vaughn
    Uber Member

Feb 10, 2010, 05:57 AM

Ahhh OK, I'll check out where the trail goes.
    To be honest I didn't do much investigating, just saw all those ants and kind of freaked out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Resurfacing my front porch.what to do? [ 5 Answers ]

Our house was built in 1958. We purchased it 10 years ago. It is a typical ranch home with a concrete front porch/stoop and step. But it also has a dropped down extension of concrete connecting to it that is about 8' long. I sealed the porch with Thompsons when we moved in but it is in dire need...

Front Porch Problems [ 1 Answers ]

I have a front porch that is concrete with a aggrate finish. A chunk out of both the corner and front has broken loose. How to I repair without tearing down the entire porch. The chucks are about 4 inches long by 3 inches wide. Thanks in advance

Front porch boards [ 3 Answers ]

We want to replace the boards on our front porch but don't know how to raise the roof to get under the supporting columns. The columns are sitting on little metal supports. The boards are tongue in groove but we don't necessarly want to replace the boards with the same lumber. Can you help?

Front Porch needs boards replaced [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My front porch needs some boards replaced. The previous owner did a quickie repair job on some rotted wood. We have 2 pillars and on the outside front corner they sawed the decking at the pillar base so now we need to hire someone to jack up the roof and replace the boards underneath. ...

Repair under front porch [ 3 Answers ]

We bought a five year old house that has a concrete front porch. The porch is only eight inches in height above the lead up sidewalk/walkway from the driveway (hope that makes sense) The builder who built the home did not put any concrete steps up to the porch Because of the only 8 inch...

View more questions Search