Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2010, 07:15 PM
    PC Won't Re-Format With XP Disc
    Hey everone!! We have this lap top made by Dell... We know we got some bad viruses and all. We figured we would re-install the operating sysyem back on. When we boot up form the disc, it starts the procedure and goes only for a few minutes then, something do with "corupt"and set up can't continue. We ried XP, Win 2000 and Vista, and we get the same error. So, I'm thinking its in such rough shape, that it needs a clean install some other way. Can a computer be re-formatted using DOS and then put the disk back in? Or is there more to this if possible... Thanks !
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2010, 07:38 PM

Yes, But I don't think that's the problem. If you boot from the CD and choose a clean install it formats the disk first.

So I suspect your hard drive is going bad and may need to be replaced.
    Leeboy Posts: 172, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2010, 07:53 PM

Im thinking your right... I will toss the piece of junk out... With the price of a new one, makes sense to get one... Thanks
    cameleon Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 18, 2010, 11:27 AM

First you need to select from bios the boot secvence(put it on cd/dvd drive) then put the windows cd in and let the instalation go as planner if is not working with the windows cd try a linux live cd like ubuntu.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My disc drive won't read any thing [ 6 Answers ]

Disc dirve won't read cd dvds or anything like that help

Blue Ray Disc format [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know what formats the Sony BDP-S350 play? I know it plays regular dvds from retailers, but the DVD's that I burn from home on DVD+R are not working. I have tried the following formats... .mpg MPEG2 .AVI These don't work, and also I have tried to put t in DVD Movie Format, also...

Disc Drives won't Read Media [ 1 Answers ]

I think my computer has caught some strange disease. It is extremely sluggish and I cannot log on to my DSL internet, even though two computers hooked up by USB wireless adapters in the next bed rooms have no problem accesing the net. Therefore, I decided to backup all my data files and start...

View more questions Search