Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    patsy Rhodes Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2006, 03:01 PM
    What is a prime number -describe and use an example please.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Nov 23, 2006, 03:04 PM
    Rather than doing your homework for you, Try this.
    little_emo_emily1437 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 13, 2006, 09:32 PM
    a prime number is an integer greater than 1 that has no positive inegral factor other than itself and 1. OK, the first 10 prime numbers are 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29.

I got that out of my book... haha

basically, a prime number is a number that can't be multiplied by anything but 1 and itself.

EXAMPLE:
    2 is a prime number... 1X2=2... what else can be multiplied together to get 2? Nothing.
    Same with 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 23, 29... and so on...
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by little_emo_emily1437
    what else can be multiplied together to get 2?
    0.5 and 4 :D
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Dec 14, 2006, 06:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by little_emo_emily1437

basically, a prime number is a number that can't be multiplied by anything but 1 and itself.
    I think you mean divisors. You can multiply prime numbers with whatever you want. But prime number can only be DIVIDED by 1 and themselves. Such as 2, you cannot divide anything into 2 except 1 or 2 making it a prime number. But for example 6 can be divided by 1,2,3,6 so it is not a prime number.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Dec 14, 2006, 06:27 AM
    INTEGERS, cannot be the product of two INTEGERS except one and itself.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Dec 14, 2006, 07:31 AM
    From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_number (which has much more additional info)

"A prime number ... is a natural number that has exactly two (distinct) natural number divisors. It follows that these two divisors are 1 and the prime number itself."

So a prime is a natural number, not an integer, and it must have exactly 2 natural number divisors (1 and itself).

A natural number is different than an integer in that the natural numbers are the set of integers > than zero.
    (>= 0 in some definitions http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_number)

A divisor of an integer n, also called a factor of n, is an integer which evenly divides n without leaving a remainder.
    (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Divisor)

Hope this mass of data and nitpicking helps someone! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do you prime a pump? [ 5 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to prime a sprinkler pump the right way? I have 2 cut-off valves on my system. The first one leads to the pump, and the other valve leads to the cylinder shaped thing with the five tubes on it... My question is: do I close the 2nd valve and open the first valve to let water...

My well pup loses prime every time it goes off. [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced everything including the pump itself, the checkvalve and all of the pvc back to where it disappears under the paved driveway. Any ideas other that breaking up the concrete and locating the well itself? The pump does produce water at regular pressure after a 2-3 minute wait.

Prime ministers and presidents [ 8 Answers ]

My question is how do you think has more power- prime ministers or presidents and why? I`m not sure myself cause I'm in favour for presidential government yet still in favour for parilamentary government. Please help

Forgot To Prime Joints [ 1 Answers ]

I remembered to prime my pvc pipe, yet forgot to prime just one of the elbows. Am I in danger of a leaky pipe now? Thank you in advance

Sprinkler pump is losing its prime [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all... my sprinkler pump is losing its prime on a daily basis. I have a newly sodded lawn and need to water daily. Could it be the check valve causing this? The check valve has been rattling lately when the sprinklers are on. If anyone has any ideas they would be appreciated. THanks.

View more questions Search