Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EmmoRo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2010, 01:39 PM
    Two states listed in one box on W-2 Form
    I have lived in 3 states while working for the same company. One state has its own tax statement, but the other two are listed together in boxes 15-17 on my W-2 form. The income is not split between the two states... how do I break this down on each state's return? Thanks!
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 01:06 AM

Any income earned while present in a state must be reported to the state.

One state may be your tax home. In the state that is not your tax home, report income you earned while in that state. If you have received only one W2 from your employer, then use simple arithmetic based on number of days spent in the state to figure our the income that you should report to this state.

In the state that is your tax home, report your worldwide income for full year. Also in this state claim credit for the taxes paid to the other state. Your U.S. Tax Return: Working or Living in Two or More states
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 07:40 AM

Need some more detail here - what are the states, and did you happen to work in one state while living in another?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Box 16 of form W-2 [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I had one doubt before I call for clarification about it to my HR. The problem is in my w2 form box 16 which should contain income earned from NY state but it shows my total income i.e. it also includes the income which I earned in the state of Texas. If I am not wrong Box 16 should only...

Box 15 on W2 incorrectly split between two states [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I have lived and worked in NJ for over 1 and 1/2 years. It looks like her employer screwed up and stated in box 15 that a portion of her income ($68463 of $176279) was Massachusetts income and withheld $3522 for MA. This is understating the NJ withholding by the same amount. How do I...

Box 16 of Form W-2 [ 1 Answers ]

My employer relocated from NY to NJ in 2007. Box 16 shows the entire year's income as NY income (which is the usual rule), PLUS a portion of the year's income as NJ income, so more than the year's income is shown in box 16. Is this correct?

Why states form collective security? [ 2 Answers ]

Consider NATO an Alliance and describe me why states form collective security?

Box 18 of the 1099-Misc Form [ 1 Answers ]

What does box 18 of the 1099-Misc form mean? Can you put income into that box even if the state does not hold out taxes? I need to know immediately if possible. If I can not put income into that box, I have 1099- Misc forms to re-run. You can email me at sglidden@1mssi. Com. Thanks,...

View more questions Search