Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scortcho Posts: 78, Reputation: 3

Feb 9, 2010, 03:03 AM
    My girfriend's dad hates my guts
    So let me lay it down. I'm a 6'5" kid with a brite purple mohoawk. i'm very independent and "free spirited". i don't do drugs or drink, in fact i'm a pretty good kid. in fact, if it wasn't for my mohawk, people wouldn't notice me. i'm a boy scout, have been for many years, on my way to eagle. i have a steady job, a car. i know where i want to go in life. however, i started datin my girlfriend about 3 months ago. since that time it's become apparent that her father hates my guts, well actually how he described it to my girlfriend is he "doesn't approve of me". he's also a tall guy, similar build as me. he is also very religiuos and very consevitive. you can see why he might not "approve" of me. I've tried many times to open up to him and get to know him better, I've invited him to my house for dinner multiple times, yet he refuses to get to know me. What should I do to gain his trust and approval?
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 07:42 AM

I hate to say it, but maybe a haircut would help. Presentation is very important. I'm sure you won't walk into a job interview with the mohoawk either. Hopefully you don't like the mohoawk too much, because I wouldn't want you to compromise what you enjoy.

Secondly, how old are you? 3 months of dating is not a very long time. You need to be patient with the dad. You can't expect him to like you overnight. It takes time to build that bond.

Furthermore, since he already has a negative impression of you, it's going to take a little bit more work. Now it depends on how much you like this girl. If you're like her that much, you will be patient with the dad.

Feb 9, 2010, 07:55 PM

The thing is that I'm pretty sure if I cut my hair off, not only will he still not approve of me, but then I will have cut my hair off because of what somebody else thought of me, I always pictured myself as being stronger than that, at least that's the way I've been doing things most of my life. And I don't want to change who I am just so Roger will accept me, I want him to accept me for who I am.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 09:02 PM
    I agree with you. Don't cut your hair, don't change a thing. You sound like a great kid, and not unlike many I've had through my front door who are fun, stable, clean living, and intelligent.

You could have met him with a crew cut, more traditional dress, flowers and chocolates in hand, and he would likely still find something wrong with you.

Try to enlist the help of your parents. Ask them if they would invite her parents over for dinner, or even a more casual barbecue. When is your birthday- that might be a good way to get everybody together.

It says a lot about you that you even try so hard with him.

Good luck.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 09:07 PM

Remember, fathers do not like any boy their little girls drag home. Fathers still think of their little girl as being in pig tails and going to school. It is not personal, unless of course you did something to make it so. Are you ages close? Do you treat her with kindness and respect? You mentioned that her father is religious, is she? Do you and she go to church regularly? Are you having sex with her? See fathers know things!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 09:11 AM

I think you expect too much in 3 months. Its not just the mohawk, but the car and job, and the reality his little girl ain't so little any more.

Your allowed to date so that's something, so just keep putting your best foot forward, and being the good guy that you are.
    jaime90 Posts: 1,157, Reputation: 163
    Ultra Member

Feb 11, 2010, 11:49 AM

How old are you?
    AlwysConfezzled Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 07:46 PM

Why, exactly do you care?
    chickie543 Posts: 74, Reputation: 25

Mar 10, 2010, 03:03 PM

Usually dads don't like anyone that their daughters bring home. The fact you have a mohawk, gives him a reason to not like you. Don't worry, just be polite in front of him. He will eventually see the person past "the guy with the mohawk stealing my daughter from me". Once he starts to trust you with his daughter, everything will be fine.

Mar 13, 2010, 03:55 AM

Don't worry friends, she broke up with me. She bugged out and decided that being single would be more fun than being with me, so she went and partied with a bunch of guys, and then she made up all this stuff about how she doesn't know where she wants to go in her life and all that. And of course she tell me that it's not me, it's her. Yeah OK, low blow sweethart. Have fun being single I hope it's worth it.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Mar 13, 2010, 10:04 AM

On the other hand, now you definitely get to keep your hair!

I'm sure you must feel a lot less burden and pressure on your shoulders. The bad times don't matter anymore now that you broke up. Only need to remember the good times with her. Time to move forward to bigger and better things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dad hates me [ 24 Answers ]

My dad only pretends 2 like me he never talks to me and says I was an accident. I'm falling behind on homework because I find talking to him is 2 hard so I can never ask 4 help. He never agrees with anything I say and everything I do is stupid. He grounds me 4 not giving him the remote so he can...

Dad hates daughters husband [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter (28) and her dad (60)have always had a somewhat explosive relationship. I (56) have always said it is because they are so much alike... can be very loving and very hard headed. My daughter married a man who my husband truly seemed to like and the extended family all seem to fit......

My mom hates my guts [ 1 Answers ]

I have a SERIOUS issue. First of all my mom hates me. I know everyone says/thinks their mom hates them, but I know this for a fact. She calls me so many hurtful names! Like she called me an ugly because I didn't want wash the dishes. She even said I was dumb, stupid, sissy, and that she wanted to...

3 yr. Old daughter hates Dad [ 6 Answers ]

My wife and I have been married for 3yrs. We have 4 children (3 from her previous marriage and one together). The youngest (my daughter) is 3. My wife and I have had a pretty tumultuous relationship... up and down. I was very strict and not very loving toward my daughter since we had her. And...

My children's father (babydaddy) hates my guts [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks for advice

View more questions Search