Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jason0802 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2010, 05:21 PM
    Physics: If I tie a object to a string and swing, can I swing parallel?
    Tie an object such as a pencil eraser to a string. Use the string to swing the object around your head at a constant speed. Can the object be swung so that the string is parallel to the horizontal, flat, and even floor on which you stand?

I don't know how to explain in physics, please help!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 10:37 AM

Think about the forces acting on the object: there is a component downard (due to gravity) and a component outward (due to the centripetal acceleration of the object). These two forces add together to form a total force which the string must resist. Since a string is incapable of resisting anything but tension (can't resist bending forces or compression forces) this means that the directoin of the string must be exactly in line with the sum of the forces that are pulling on it. So the question boils down to this: if you add the forces of gravity and centripetal aceleration on the object, can the resultant force ever be in a direction parallel to the floor?

Jason: Post back with what you think the answer is.
    jason0802 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 04:57 PM
    The answer is no!
    Thank you so much ebaines, it is big help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Take a swing at the Penguin! [ 61 Answers ]

Poor penguin. Just something silly to keep you all amused for a few moments. Can you hit the penguin? Just click on the yeti to get the penguin to drop down, then click on the yeti again to swing the bat and hit the penguin. How far did the penguin go? What is your best distance? ...

Swing into Saturday [ 1 Answers ]

Four-Letter Surgery Jerry is recovering from day surgery when a nurse asks him how he is feeling. "I'm okay but I didn't like the four-letter-word the doctor used in surgery," he answered. "What did he say," asked the nurse. "OOPS!"

Golf swing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi experts, I'm a lady golfer with a 15 handicap. I always make it a point to be aware of my right elbow on the take away. But what I'd like to know is how high up and how close to the body by right elbow should be on the backswing. Thanks for any information.

View more questions Search