Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prosha Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 04:39 PM
    Can I adopt my sister?
    I'm 23 years old and since the first day I remember my family was a wreck.my parents were always fighting and my dad was very abusive.when I turned 17 my mom filed for divorce and me and her filed a complaint against my dad and in court in was found guilty and they made a file for him saying he has mental problems.
    After that my mom started verbally abusing me and kicking me out of the house at late night hours.after 3 years I got tired of it.and moved out.after 8 monthes she asked me to come back and we fix everything but when I moved back it all just started again.right now I'm 23 and on my own I have stopped talking to her for 2 yrs now.

But the real issue now is that she's doing the same thing to my 15 yr old sister.my mom has remarried again and the guy is a .my mom is verbally abusing my sister and tries to kick her out of the house but cause she has full custody and my sister is under 18 she can't kick her out.but every time I c my sister she looks more depresses than last time.she wants to get out of the house.my mom is moving to the US with the man and she wants to take my sister but my sister told me that she doesn't want to go.my mom and her husband are really hurting her and I feel like in a little bit time she's going to crack and do something to herself.
    I know she can talk to a social worker but we don't want my mom find out.I just want a way to get her out of there and this counsellor I talked to said I have a option of adopting her.

What can I do?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 05:16 PM

What country is this happening in? Another thing is no I don't believe you can adopt as you're a blood relative but what you could do is have guardianship over her. Guardianship would allow you to sign papers for her and you would still be responsible for her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 06:31 PM

Your mom could sign over guardianship to you. Or you mom could just let her stay there.
    If it is seriously bad, have you contacted CFS

Feb 8, 2010, 06:37 PM
    OK so the thing is she doesn't want to stay with my mom anymore and I don't think it's a good idea for her to stay there any longer.so we need a way out for her.my mom would never give me guardianship on her own will.but she's not fit to raise my sister anymore.. I contacted my dad and he said that if anybody wants him he will willingly sign her over to me.but I need to do this in a way so that my mom doesn't find out until basically most things are done.

Feb 8, 2010, 06:38 PM

Oh also I live in canada.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 06:48 PM

Guardianship is about your only option. You might check with a solicitor and see if Canada offers other options but I doubt it. Why won't your mom let you be guardian of your sister?

Feb 8, 2010, 07:01 PM
    U don't understand how horrible this person is.right now she won't even let me see her.me and her talk while she's at school or my mom isn't home.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 07:04 PM

Your only other choice would be to call Child Protective Services and from there maybe your dad could take her if she is taken away. Then your dad could allow you to take her from there.

Feb 8, 2010, 07:10 PM
    What do you mean if she is taken away?. they wouldn't put her for adoption right?. I mean with me being available right?. cause my dad as a said was found guitly in the divorce case and has a mental problem file or something set up for him... so if he's not eligible I would be the next choice automatically right?. and I have a full time job and I live with a roommate right now but moving out in a little bit.
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 8, 2010, 07:15 PM

Can you fully support the both of you? If you can then yes you would be an option. You would have to apply for it.

Feb 8, 2010, 09:58 PM
    Well I work 7 days a week I can pay for rent.I can run a household easily on my paycheck for the both of us.plus I would also get child tax chqs and child support chqs... so I think we would be fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sister wants to adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 14 and has been arrested twice for marijuana and is going to an alternative school. I am a single mother with another child who is 5. He refuses to follow my rules and is staying with my sister because I have to work and have no way to get him to and from school since he can't ride the...

Sister having a baby and wants me to adopt the child [ 3 Answers ]

I live in rochester New York and my 15 year old sister is pregnant and she wants me and my boyfriend to adopt it I just wanted to know what to do and how to go through with finalizing it

I am trying to adopt my baby sister. [ 6 Answers ]

I am trying to be able to adopt my sister. She is 1 and she has been in DHS custody ever since she was born. I had just learned about her in Feb. of this year and I actually learned that she was my sister in Sept. I have never gotten to know her. We live in different states. She has gone up...

How do I adopt my baby sister? [ 4 Answers ]

I am needing help on how to adopt my baby half sister. My father is extremely abusive he is a horrible horrible man. He ruined my childhood. I moved in with them at one point to help prevent him from hurting my sister but he started to hurt me again and I had to get out before it got worse. I know...

View more questions Search