Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    saljnels Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2010, 10:15 AM
    Foreign money transfer tax
    My husband (US resident) and I (US citizen) want to transfer $50,000 dollars from our bank in Mexico to our bank account in the US. This money is from a business investment that we made 8 years ago in Mexico and has already been taxed in Mexico. Do we have to pay taxes on it again here in the US?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 12:55 AM

There is no tax on transfer of your money to the U.S.

You are required to report your Mexico income on the U.S. tax return. You must report your worldwide income on the tax return.

Another filing requirement is Form TD F 90-22.1. Your U.S. Tax Return: U.S. Citizen or Resident with Foreign Income
    mack20007 Posts: 78, Reputation: 5

Feb 9, 2010, 02:06 AM

You are in fact required to report the income as was stated on your US tax return, in the year earned. For example, if you earned it several years ago, you report it in that year only. IF you did not report it at all, you need to amend your tax return to include it, using form 1040X.
    However, you do not have to pay taxes on it again. You do this by taking the "Foreign Tax Credit" on your US tax return for that year. Complete form F-1116 to calculate this credit. You can get more information about foreign tax credit in Publication 514, available on the IRS website.

Remember, the US federal income tax, is a tax on income, not a tax on transferring money. However, if you do move $10k or greater at any one time in or out of the US, you have to complete an informational return. Form FinCen 105. This form is not required to be completed, however if you move the money using normal banking procedures, i.e. bank to bank transfers. See the instructions for this form for more information.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign money transfer to USA [ 19 Answers ]

I have two questions 1. I inherited $50,000 from property sold in a foreign country country from a non us resident. Are there tax consequences in the US when I transfer the money? Can I carry the money in cash into the US after declaring it. 2. a non US family member and his family...

Transfer my money from a foreign country to US [ 9 Answers ]

I recently sold a house in a foreign country and paid local taxes on this transaction. I would like to transfer this money from my bank account in the foreign country to my US bank account. What are my legal obligations? Are there any forms I need to file? Will I need to pay US tax on this money?...

Foreign money transfer to USA [ 1 Answers ]

I have question about bring to the US: We are going to US and our family included 4 persons( Me, my wife and my 2 daughters which my daughters don't have separated passports and they are avaiable in my wife passport) So let me know we could bring $40,000 to the US for 4 persons or not? ...

Foreign Money Transfer To The USA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a client in London who wants to send a large multi-million dollar fund to us for investment in real estate. We are to manage the fund once it arrives. The large wire transfer seems to have Taxes that must be paid to the IRS-UK by us (the beneficiary) before they will release the fund to us....

Foreign money transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I am due to inherit a very large sum of money in England. What laws will I incur when transferring the money to the US?

View more questions Search