Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hheath541 Posts: 2,762, Reputation: 584
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 09:34 PM
    Shaving leaves me a bloody mess
    I have thick, coarse hair. Every time I shave my legs become a bloody mess and I end up with razor burn. I am also severely prone to ingrown hairs.

I have tried several types of shaving cream and gel. I've also tried several types of razors. I've tried shaving in hot water, and cold, and everything in the middle. I've tried scrubbing my legs with a wash cloth, a nail brush, and body scrub before shaving. I have tried alcohol and bactine after shaving to prevent the razor burn.

Nothing works. No matter what I do, the results are the same.

Does anyone have any suggestions I haven't tried? I can't afford waxing, and the home kit I tried a few years ago didn't work. Hair removal creams don't work, either.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 09:39 PM

Electrolysis? It might be worth the cost.

One of my Indian friends goes to a hair-removal salon once a month. They have some special process. Check that out?
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 09:44 PM

I can't afford anything like that right now, or I would. I'm looking for at-home techniques.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 7, 2010, 09:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hheath541 View Post
    i can't afford anything like that right now, or i would. I'm looking for at-home techniques.
    I'd call hair-removal salons or even beauty shops to ask if they will recommend a product or technique. Also, I'd do research at my local public library. :)
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 10:00 PM

Thanks.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 10:14 PM

Have you tried shaving down rather than up? If you shave against the grain it's more likely to cause irritation to the skin. If you shave in the opposite direction with a good razor it could help. It might leave a little behind but it's better then getting razor burn on your legs. It also might nOT leave any hair behind if the hair is thicker because it will be easier for the blade to catch. I can't do it because I have the opposite problem, and it would come out patchy (I also don't get razor burn so I don't have to worry about it) But I'd say give that a try and see how it goes.

There's another product that is kind of like a razor but works kind of like an electric turkey carver, with the two parts that go back and forth. It does NOT cut you, catches the hair and removes it painlessly. The only downside is that' It's small and runs on AAA batteries. I can't remember what it's called. It might take a while to get all the hair up too. Also, it's possible that you could try a hair growth inhibitor. I'm not sure how much those cost or how well they work though. Good luck.

EDIT: Also, I'd say use a soft loofah on your legs when you're done shaving with some body wash. It can remove the extra dead and dry skin that the razor left behind . After that, maybe try lotion or baby oil on your legs and see if that helps.
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 10:28 PM

Shaving with the hair doesn't remove most of it, and leaves a noticeable stubble, as do electric razors. On top of having thick hair, it's really dark and I'm really pale. Stubble is visible, and able to be felt, within a few hours of my shaving.

I've tried scrubbing my legs after shaving, usually with a wash cloth. Most lotions sting after I shave, so I don't like to use them until the next day or so.

I haven't tried hair growth inhibitors. Do you have any idea where I would find them? I assume you mean a cream I would just put on like lotion.
    Ultra Member

Feb 7, 2010, 10:35 PM

It's stuff like this.

Google Image Result for http://www.health-store.com/images/products/Derma-Hair-Inhabitor-1_4043.jpg

I'd Google it and see what you can find about them.
    Experts

Feb 7, 2010, 11:19 PM

Thanks. I'll see if I can find something like that around here, hopefully that I can afford.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 8, 2010, 12:31 AM

I tried the really expensive oil from the salon for shaving and found that olive oil worked just as well.

Shave with olive oil, don't wash it off... and tell me if you think it works. Use it liberally.
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 01:03 AM

I've used oils to shave with before, one I found at the store and baby oil. They worked, but they clogged the razors so much I had to throw it away and use a new one on the other leg. I can't afford to go through 2 razors every time I shave.

Please, don't think I'm ungrateful for the advice. I really do appreciate it. I'm just hoping for something new. I didn't realize I'd tried as many things as I had until you guys started listing suggestions for me.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 8, 2010, 09:20 AM

I use Gilette Fusion with the oil and the hair washes out better than with shaving cream. I know what you mean about those plastic razors, they are pieces of junk.

If you have enough money to wax a few times a year, the hair will get thinner and you won't have to shave as heavily. A professional salon worker told me that her clients that have waxed for years barely have any hair left on most of their leg.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 12:24 PM

Yep, when you wax enough your hair becomes like new growth.
    I think it would be worth it if you had the chance to save up.
    Experts

Feb 8, 2010, 12:55 PM

Thanks, when I have more money, I'll look into how much getting waxed would cost.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 12:56 PM

I have found that the razor that is IN the bar of soap is a great combatant against coarse, dark hair. I forget the name of it, but it really does look like a razor in a bar of soap. It seems to be more gentle than normal razors.

I, too, am prone to razor burn. I can't put any type of cream on after I shave because BAM, razor burn. The only thing I've found that works is that soap/razor.
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2010, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HistorianChick View Post
    I have found that the razor that is IN the bar of soap is a great combatant against coarse, dark hair. I forget the name of it, but it really does look like a razor in a bar of soap. It seems to be more gentle than normal razors.

I, too, am prone to razor burn. I can't put any type of cream on after I shave because BAM, razor burn. The only thing I've found that works is that soap/razor.
    Schick intuition?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bloody diarreah [ 3 Answers ]

My puppy has bloody diarreah and just threw up.. does anyone know what could be wrong and if he should be okay?

Bloody Diahhrea [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old puppy, and ever since I took him to the vet to be de wormed and have his shots, he started having runny bloody poop. Its not always like that, sometimes its very normal looking. He is a very happy and energetic puppy and doesn't appear to be in any pain. He just went on our...

Bloody stool? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello! Sunday night Annie my Lab jumped up and got the left overs of a chicken my family had. It was kind of funny actually because she tried to bury it under the blanket in her crate. She didn't have time to eat much of it, but I think she had a couple of chicken bones, which I've heard are bad...

Bloody show [ 2 Answers ]

I am 36 weeks pregnant and I would like to know what bloody show looks like. Is it light, dark, bright, pale, or any of these? I woke up this morning with pink discharge. Is this related to my body preparing for labor or is it just a fluke? P.S. I have not been sexually active (just not in the...

View more questions Search