Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doncaster_man Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 30, 2003, 03:34 PM
    System restore win ME
    My windows ME system restore facility will not run , and only tells me that I need to restart my PC first .
    After restarting it still does the same , I think there is a virus behind all this , please help.
    Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2004, 05:32 PM
    Re: system restore win ME
    Hmmmmm, so you think you have a virus that's causing all this? Have you ran a virus scan? Two nice freebies are AVG6 by Grisoft and Bit-Defender. Run a full scan. Also, have you made sure that you did a full windows update? All drivers and critical are a MUST! Then skeem through the recommended ones. I know that in my experience that system restoes has had a few patches in the updates. REMEMBER that because Windows Me is the most unstable windows os, you MUST keep it updated. I have a small SOHO with the Me as a gateway and everything runs fine and the system restore works. Also check your windows componenets in your add/remove programs to make sure that your settings are checked.
    BURT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2004, 04:29 AM
    I have the same problem. I tried to D\L the program from MS, but that didn't help. I follow instructions to remove the check mark from disable system restore, but when I leave the site and return immediately, the check mark is back.

Metamorphousthe Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2004, 05:37 PM
    There are other things I have tried when confronting problems thatr I can not correct in WinME. You can reinstall the OS on top of the current OS. Basically, you would be just correcting any corrupted system files that is causing the problem. BE SURE TO BACK UP IMPORTANT DOCUMENTS FIRST! By simply reinstalling the OS you will not be wipeing the drive, nor ridding yourself of any programmes you currently have, but back up is ALWAYS recommended when doing sommething like this. Put the WinME CDROM in the drive and run setup from within windows. If you don't have the cdrom, search for the Options folders from within the Windows folder. In the Options folder you will find setup.exe, run it. Then try all windows updates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

I have WIN XP, Service Pack 2. When I go to System Restore, there are no earlier restore points to go to. I have always had earlier points to choose from. Is there something wrong with the program? Thanks.

System Restore [ 1 Answers ]

Hiya Shipmates Got a problem and hope someone can help. When a restore point is created on my Pc, either manually or when using Windows update, the bold date has gone the next day. System restore IS enabled, I have well over the minimum 200Mb of disk space that is recommended, have Ad-Aware,...

System restore [ 13 Answers ]

Hi everbody, am using xp2 sp2 home ed. I tried to access system restore to switch it off temporarily to be met with the message:turned off by group policy,to turn on contact your domain administrator! Went to services where it was showing as stopped,tried to start itgot the following message:sys...

System restore xp [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to restore my computer to an earlier date,but every time I try , the computer goes through the motions, but always comes up with the result "Computer can not be restored to this date" Any help Please

System Restore [ 3 Answers ]

My Restore folder is taking up a ton of space (almost 13 GB of my 20 GB drive) and I'd really like to get rid of it. Is it safe to delete this folder? Edit: I'm on Windows Me and I've already tried turning system restore off.

View more questions Search