Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dan Wroten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 10:34 AM
    Replacing pvc drain in concrete
    I am replacing a tiled shower floor with a custom fit shower pan. The drain hole alignment is not an issue as it is "custom" placed. However, to install it and the drain that comes with it, requires that the PVC pipe be 1/4" above the new pan hole. Currently the drain is flush with the concrete floor and the pipe is below the concrete floor level. Do I chip around the drain and remove it (cut it out if necessary) then add an extension to the pvc pipe to get the 1/4" clearance of pipe I need above the new shower pan hole? If so, how do I do this? Or, are there any better ideas?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 7, 2010, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Currently the drain is flush with the concrete floor and the pipe is below the concrete floor level. Do I chip around the drain and remove it (cut it out if necessary) then add an extension to the pvc pipe to get the 1/4" clearance of pipe I need above the new shower pan hole? If so, how do I do this?
    I assume that you've already removed the shower pan and flange type drain and all you have is the trap raiser flush with the floor.
    You're going to hafta open up a area around the pipe and cut it back with a inside PVC cutter,(see image) far enough to prime and glue a 2" PVC Coupling on to the pipe. You nay now measure to get the 1/4" clearance of pipe you need above the new shower pan hole and then prime and glue in a extension pipe. You mkay now parch the opening you chipped out. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Dan Wroten Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Tom, thanks so much, that answers my question. Just one more question: When you say "prime", what does that mean? Is it just making sure the pipe surface is clean so that the glue will adhere to it? Is the glue basically pvc cement?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2010, 12:11 AM

When you say "prime", what does that mean?
    When you glue (or cement PVC you must use primer before you glue. Other uou won't get a good joint. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing galvanized drain and vent pipe with PVC [ 4 Answers ]

Ok, so here's my dilemma. I have a home built in the 60's. The plumbing is all galvanized steel for water lines and drain lines. I recently started updating my bathroom and we have always had problems with the sink draining very slowly. Recently I became aware That the galvanized steel tends...

Replacing drain pipes in concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

Have a blocked and corroded drain line from washing machine and kitchen sink. Need to replace about 30 feet of line. Any way to do without tearing up slab?

Replacing OLD shower drain on concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing an old shower unit. The metal drain pipe sticks up about 2 inches above the concrete slab. The problem is the new shower drain requires about 3 inches below the base to connect. Am I going to have to dig up some of the concrete in order to get the drain to fit, and then cut off...

How locate pvc drain under concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

Eight years ago, I had a bathroom and office installed downstairs. Along the way, they dug a trench through the existing concrete slab and put in the appropriate pvc drain. This "underslab" drain runs under my office. Now I want to find out exactly where this drain is located so that I can put in...

View more questions Search