Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 9, 2010, 08:33 PM

Mark, you brought up probably the most important factor, which is the vac breaker on the water supply. Good catch. However, I still see ball valves controlling water to urinals in some of the old bars in my town, makes me wonder if the inspector is getting free beer for life or what. The thing about water supply is if its not done properly, you don't only affect your own house, but can potentially contaminate other peoples water. So yes, a vac breaker is really something you should add to the water feed of the urinal.

Mancave, the threads on top of the urinal do not match the threads of the copper female adapter you are planning to use(however it may work with enough teflon). They are not tapered threads. The threads on top of the urinal are for a rubber gasket seal. This is were the vacuum breaker tailpiece would connect to the urinal when using a flushometer.
    The thing is, I have a feeling you are going to do what you are going to do, and by all means, have at it. Just keep in mind that there really is a reason for codes, we don't push them for the fun of it, we do it for safe and sanitary living for all.

That being said, do as you will do, and enjoy that pisser. Lee.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 9, 2010, 08:34 PM

Thanks Mark, \I shoudda thought of that!
    Mancave Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Feb 9, 2010, 08:58 PM

Thanks guys for the input.

If the consensus is that the vacuum breaker is a "must have," then I ought to go for it.

I may be killing two birds with one stone as I have to find a way to connect to the threaded supply fitting on the urinal anyway.

I don't know any other way to connect the supply, so that is my next question anyway.

Also, I assumed that when the urinal is flushed, the water "waterfalls" down the backwall until there is enough to break the trap/bowl reserve. If that is in fact the case, is it even possible that this thing could backflow?

Thanks again guys, your expertise is invaluable.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 05:25 AM
    Hi all:

If I remember correctly, if you use 6-8 wraps of teflon tape on that urinal spud (connector on top of urinal) you can probably pull off installing that copper female adapter. The threads don't quite match, but it should just work. Just be sure to PRESOLDER the adapter before you try to install it onto the spud.

Otherwise, for $98.00 (sloan regal186) you can order a urinal FLUSHOMETER, which coincidentally has a vacuum breaker integral to the unit, and that will fix everything up real nice. And come on, if you are looking for that MANCAVE feeling you really want the flushometer feel and flush... don't you... hmmm?? :)

Check it out here:

FlushoMeter Urinal Valves

Finally, the vacuum breaker is required because you have a CROSS CONNECTION between a waste fixture and drinking water. ALL fixtures have these... even most faucets today... you just don't see them.

Back to you...

MARK

Feb 10, 2010, 08:16 AM

Heh! Yeah, it would be cool to have a giant, chromed-out flush handle.

Then again, there's also something very mancave-ish about a rustic/improvised ball-valve setup too -- as long as my knuckle-headed friends don't try to use their feet to flush it, LOL!

The beauty of this is that, even after it's in use, it will continue to be a work-in-progress. Sooner-or-later, I'll run into a flush valve and can always add it at that time.

The supply line I'm tapping into runs between the second, upstairs bathroom sink and toilet. I'm sure there is no vac breaker on either one -- maybe it's something I should add to those too.

The basement room itself is unfinished - well, half finished. It was a finished basement when I purchased the house but because of pre-existing water damage and subsequent mildew (house was vacant for 7 years), I had to remove everything but the framing.

I had big plans on building a glamorous studio/jam room but after I set up my drums, amps/guitars, PA and started using it, the sound was so good I didn't want to change anything.

Plus, it's kind of nice not to worry about spilled beer or dropped cigars. I tell my friends they can act like the slobs that they are, LOL!

So, I'm not so sure that the room deserves an expensive flush valve just yet, heh!

Thanks for the advice, info and links, much appreciated!!

Just for a reference, here's a couple of views of the room "in action"

Had a little extra time today so I got a little done:

Tom> Here's the JB Weld -- it's strong. I was able to turn the nipple with a strap wrench to tighten the plate -- it didn't budge.

Thanks again to all!
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 10, 2010, 04:38 PM

Thanks for the pics. Looks like a good time. Make sure to anchor that drain pipe good and solid so it doesn't put too much force on the drain connection when tightening the flange bolts.

Also, as to the vac breaker situation, you can use one of these between the ball valve and the urinal spud(see pic). You can find them for less than fifty bucks. However, they sometimes will drip a bit of water every time the ball valve is turned on and off. Just another option.
    Attached Images

Feb 10, 2010, 09:33 PM

HELP!

I have a bit of an emergency -- I have a small leak in between the (adpated) cleanout plug and the threaded cast iron opening of the stack line. I used teflon tape on it, maybe I didn't use enough?

Maybe it needs thread dope? I've never used dope before (no pun intended) but the cast iron opening doesn't seem like it has very tight tolerences or maybe was casted slightly out-of-round??

On the bright side, it's definitely NOT leaking on the epoxy "weld" or the nipple-to-PVC connection, whew!

Please let me know what to do, thanks!

Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 11, 2010, 06:00 AM
    Brass to cast iron can be tricky as the threads are large compared to most we work with.

Two fixes here:

1) install that JB weld around the leaking joint and be done with it.

2) cut the pipe, spin the brass cap out and wrap with 10 wraps of teflon tape followed by some pipe dope. Then reinstall and you should be all set, for sure!

Lookin' good otherwise!

MARK

Feb 11, 2010, 07:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008 View Post
    Brass to cast iron can be tricky as the threads are large compared to most we wrok with.

Two fixes here:

1) install that JB weld around the leaking joint and be done with it.

2) cut the pipe, spin the brass cap out and wrap with 10 wraps of teflon tape followed by some pipe dope. Then reinstall and you should be all set, for sure!

Lookin' good otherwise!

MARK
    Thanks MARK!

I don't need to cut any pipe because I listened to you guys and didn't do the final PVC glue-ing in key spots, so I can still take it apart -- so, I'll go for the tape and dope option.

Much appreciated!

Making progress, a few pics to those who were wondering.

Thanks again guys, I'll probably finish today!

A look at the "guts" behind the new half-wall:

Feb 13, 2010, 05:37 PM
    Improvised Mancave Urinal - It Works!
    I posted these follow-up pics at the end of my original thread but it didn't "bump."

So, it's done and it works great!

Thanks to all for your help and encouragement -- I couldn't have done it without you!

A look at the "guts" behind the new half-wall:

[/
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 13, 2010, 05:41 PM

We're proud of you. Have a blast! Tom
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Feb 13, 2010, 06:52 PM

OMG.. .

That is *SO* wrong on *SO* many levels.. .

All those code violations -- And yet you bothered to use treated plywood.

>shrugs<

Well, if it's going to be a permanent fixture, then do yourself a favor and brush several coats of Benite on to the plywood before the permanence of Uric acid (and its stench) has a chance to set in.

A urinal cookie would be a nice touch as well.

Feb 13, 2010, 07:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
    OMG. . . .

That is *SO* wrong on *SO* many levels. . . .

All those code violations -- And yet you bothered to use treated plywood.

>shrugs<

Well, if it's going to be a permanent fixture, then do yourself a favor and brush several coats of Benite on to the plywood before the permanence of Uric acid (and its stench) has a chance to set in.

A urinal cookie would be a nice touch as well.
    If you had been following along with the original thread, which obviously you were not, this is not going to be inspected or to code -- it's intended to NOT be a permanent fixture.

Economy and functionality were the goals from the beginning.

As stated, the wall was built from "leftover" plywood and 2 x 4's. I'm pretty confident that none of my friends are going to piss on the wall -- so, I'm not much worried about any stenches occurring.

Who asked you anyway? Mind your business. It works great, that all that matters.

:D::eek::D
    Widdershins Posts: 87, Reputation: 5

Feb 14, 2010, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Mancave View Post
    If you had been following along with the original thread, which obviously you were not, this is not going to be inspected or to code -- it's intended to NOT be a permanent fixture.
    I followed the thread from start to finish, noting the many misgivings and reservations of those who walked you through the installation.

That it isn't going to be inspected and that you willfully ignored even the most basic advice of installing a vacuum breaker to protect the potable water supply from cross contamination doesn't make this any less of an abomination.

Economy and functionality were the goals from the beginning.
    Yeah, I picked up on that right away.

As stated, the wall was built from "leftover" plywood and 2 x 4's. I'm pretty confident that none of my friends are going to piss on the wall -- so, I'm not much worried about any stenches occurring.
    So the treated plywood was just dumb luck, eh? Good luck, but dumb luck nonetheless.

As for urine making its way to the wall -- I've played in bands for most of my life and I can guarantee you the wall is going to get peed on.

Do yourself a favor and spend the five or ten bucks on a can of Benite or similar sealer and seal the plywood.

Who asked you anyway? Mind your business.
    D00d, it's a free forum.

It works great, that all that matters.
    Y'know, I wouldn't have said anything at all if you had, at a minimum, spent the 15 or 20 bucks it would have cost to buy a vacuum breaker.

Feb 14, 2010, 08:15 AM
    I followed the thread from start to finish, noting the many misgivings and reservations of those who walked you through the installation.

That it isn't going to be inspected and that you willfully ignored even the most basic advice of installing a vacuum breaker to protect the potable water supply from cross contamination doesn't make this any less of an abomination.
    And just like all of your other assumptions, you're quite sure that I didn't? You know what they say about those that "assume." In this case, it's just you.

Yeah, I picked up on that right away.

So the treated plywood was just dumb luck, eh? Good luck, but dumb luck nonetheless.

As for urine making its way to the wall -- I've played in bands for most of my life and I can guarantee you the wall is going to get peed on.
    An indication of the respect your friends have for you maybe? Like I said, I'm not worried.

Do yourself a favor and spend the five or ten bucks on a can of Benite or similar sealer and seal the plywood.

D00d, it's a free forum.
    Good then, I guess I'm free to call your mother a whore? Naw, I won't -- my ego isn't that small.

But she could have at least taught you the adage, "if you don't have anything nice to say..."

Maybe you could come over for a jam sometime -- we have a urinal AND a back alley -- the back alley would probably be good for you.

:p

Jan 6, 2013, 09:22 PM
    Well, it's now 2 years later and if anyone is wondering, the urinal has and still is running perfectly and has been a true asset and a hit by all standards.

Just dropped in to say there is no pee on the wall... or the floor or anywhere but in the bowl. Heh!

But the real reason I dropped back in was to again thank speedball1 aka Tom for his expertise, advice and encouragement and to acknowledge what an all-around quality individual he is and to cite the kindness he showed to me -- the world is certainly a better place because of people like Tom.

Special tip-of-the-hat to mygirlsdad77 / lee as well.

This is a great site, none better.

Thanks guys!

I should really correct myself -- it's nearly THREE years later.

(Man, times flies! )
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 7, 2013, 09:22 AM
    But the real reason I dropped back in was to again thank speedball1 aka Tom for his expertise, advice and encouragement and to acknowledge what an all-around quality individual he is and to cite the kindness he showed to me -- the world is certainly a better place because of people like Tom.

Special tip-of-the-hat to mygirlsdad77 / lee as well.

This is a great site, none better.

Thanks guys!
    Thanks for those kind words. We're just happy wee could help, Tom and the guys
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 7, 2013, 02:37 PM
    No offense guys, but mancave needs to go back and reread this thread! It was me that did the original drawing (post #4), it was me that tried to talk him into installing a vacuum breaker to protect him and his family's health (he didn't listen) and it was me that walked him through some tough steps, for sure!

I don't even get a mention! Go figure, huh?

With that being said, my feelings aren't hurt in any way (could really care less)... just amazed that I didn't even get a mention here! LOL!!

Jan 7, 2013, 05:43 PM
    My bad MARK / massplumber2008!

I didn't forget you and truly appreciate your input back then. Terrible oversight on my part. And knew before I posted above that I needed to mention you but somehow forgot. I actually have your drawing in the folder with the "master plans" and progress pictures for this project.

I think early Alzheimer's is setting in.

3 years and counting of perfect service from this urinal.

Thank you sir.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 8, 2013, 03:11 PM
    No problem.. I appreciate you taking a minute to come back and say so!

Thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urinal drain schematic [ 2 Answers ]

How do you snake a urinal ( it is not draining properly)

How do I remove cast iron/possibly brass plug from cleanout drain in bathroom? [ 9 Answers ]

My bathroom sink is plugged solid. I tried to use snake under sink but can't seem to get it in very far. There is an old corroded clean out sticking out of the wall behind the toilet so I removed the toilet to get at it but it doesn't budge. It has a square nut on the top of what looks to be a...

Removing cleanout plug [ 3 Answers ]

How do you remove a cleanout plug when the nub for where you put the wrench on has been rounded off?

Drain washing machine through a cleanout plug. [ 14 Answers ]

Want to discharge my washing machine through the opening of cleanout plug of cast iron vertical soil pipe at my basement. Size of plug is 2"7/8. Please show me how to adapt the PVC pipe(2'' pipe) to the cast iron soil pipe. Thanks

Oddball cleanout plug size - need replacement [ 1 Answers ]

~ 4" cast iron pipe rises to 1st and 2nd floor bathrooms Pipe drops to basement floor into a cast-iron double-hub with a cleanout cast and threaded right in the hub casting next to the hub that holds the stack. It is not a threaded nipple caulked and leaded into the hub. Problem is the...

View more questions Search