Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    summer7 Posts: 344, Reputation: 44

Feb 6, 2010, 07:12 PM
    Looking at offering down loadable videos on website.
    Hi Guys,
    I'm doing a little research here. Do any of you have experience with down loadable video content on your website or down loadable books? I'm looking at creating a site where I would offer subscription/membership and would provide these items. I would rather do this than create the physical books or DVD's to drop ship.

Please let me know what your experience has been here.

Thanks! :)
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2010, 07:18 PM

High summer, I am pretty sure it isn't possible to offer DVDs the way you want to. It requires certain licensing and copyright issues that doesn't allow individuals to operate this type of web based business. It is illegal to burn CDs for personal use and are protected by a specific clause attached to the credits on the CD or DVD.

Tick

Feb 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    High summer, I am pretty sure it isnt possible to offer DVDs the way you want to. It requires certain licensing and copyright issues that doesnt allow individuals to operate this type of web based business. It is illegal to burn CDs for personal use and are protected by a specific clause attached to the credits on the CD or DVD.

tick
    Hi Tick,
    Thanks for responding! Actually the content that would be downloaded is mine. I would create the content and offer it to the members or subscribers of my site.

I'm in the information gathering stage right now for my idea. I was first thinking of selling my DVD's and books or manuals but the cost of producing these as well as storage and the hassle of mailing has me looking into other options. Also, I have been reading that returns are a big pain for many businesses. Offering these as down loadable directly from my site seems to make more sense.

Please let me know if you have more info here. Maybe I need to find out about protecting my videos on my end. This is all new to me so any info is appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 6, 2010, 08:05 PM

You need to do a lot of research on Digital Rights Management (DRM). There is a lot of info out there to help you.

Feb 6, 2010, 08:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    You need to do a lot of research on Digital Rights Management (DRM). There is a lot of info out there to help you.
    Thanks so much! Great tip, I'll check it out.
    What about for my written content? (e-book or e-zine)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Making an offering [ 2 Answers ]

How do you make an offering to a spirit for continuous blessings and how do you know that they have accepted the offering.

Do you know any website where free large videos of AND1 are disponible [ 2 Answers ]

Can smb tell about websites where AND1 videos are for free

View more questions Search