Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    texan_06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2003, 10:19 PM
    Basketball practice help
    OK I really need help
    I love basketball I always have
    But no matter how much I practice and how hard I work I just can't seem to get better
    I mean I have talked to my coach and the way she works is she tells you something negative and she wants you to prove her wrong
    Well for me its kind of hard cause I don't know how to get better I mean I do I just have trouble getting it I mean everyone I can think of has tried to help me
    I just really want to improve and get better and I was well wondering if anyone had any ideas for me
    I would really like and use the help
    Thanks
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jul 22, 2004, 07:46 PM
    Re: please help
    Hello there the best way to get better is too keep playing. Play 4 or 5 times a week. Practice working on your game alone trying different moves and then try them in a game. If they do not work keep trying them until u get it right. We all have to start it a growing process just do not give up you will get better soon GOOD LUCK take care and keep Shoot ummm up.
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Dec 10, 2004, 08:55 PM
    Let's see if I can help you.
    First, let's get to know you a little:
    1- What position do you play?
    2- How old are you?
    3- What team do you play on?
    4- How long have you been involved in basketball?

Answering these will help me better understand your personality.

Next, tell me some of the things you are trying to improve.

I know that this might seem to be a slow start, but if you are serious about improving you will help me to help you.

Oldcoach :)
    Mhm2j Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2005, 10:09 PM
    I need help
    I'm in 8th grade around 6'0 tall and I go to Academy of the Sacred Heart basketbal team and I want to work on getting into the lane strong and finishing the lay-up in traffic. I can shoot 3's,I can play in the low post and I have a good amount of speed. I also need help with my handles. Someone please reply and help me out.

Jan 16, 2005, 07:04 PM
    Let's get going !
    Mhm2j,

Let me start by saying that you must use your two advantages, height and speed, to the fullest. While it is important to use your advantages, it is even more important to improve your weaknesses. I will help you in five ways:
    1- Developing your strengths
    2- Improving your weaknesses.
    3- Understanding your how your height and coordination will change, as you grow older.
    4- Understanding the connection between Basketball and the rest of your life.
    5- Planning for the coming years in Basketball.

I know that you want to improve because you asked for help, so let’s get started Please understand that this one letter is just a beginning and we will talk more. This is my first response to you and I expect you to read it and tell me if I am on the right track. This will take a little more time than talking in person, but it will be worth it. Each time we talk let’s try to list each of the five things above and write a few words about each. I’ll start so that you can see what I mean. (The only difference will be that you will ask questions and tell me your weaknesses while I give answers and suggestions)

1- Developing your strengths.
    Right now, you have said that you have two strengths: height and speed. As time passes we will add more skills to your list of strengths, but for now, we will make those two strengths even better.
    Your height gives you several advantages on the court. It allows you to see over the top of most eighth grade players. Seeing over players helps you to pass to open teammates more easily, because you can see from a birds-eye-view, the entire court. It also gives you a better passing angle because you can pass from over your head down to your teammates. That height also makes you a better passing target, because your teammates can see you better. You must encourage them to pass the ball very high to you. (So, others cannot steal the pass) Your height also gives you better reach than other players.
    Better reach allows you to spread your arms out to the sides as you guard the paint, cutting off passing angles of your opponents. You can reach up and block shots. Here is a trick to help you to steal more passes: Do not give away your reach when you guard a person. Bend your arms a little and get down low by bending your knees. You can play off him a little because you really can step and reach farther than he thinks. Standing up too tall will allow him to duck under your arms and get around you, but staying low and playing off a little will give you more time to react and cut him off. Ask your coach about using the drop-step to cut off a dribbler. If he can not explain it, I can help you. Your speed will help there too.
    Speed is compared to the others around you. If you are faster than they are, then people say that you are fast. The time may come when people are faster than you are. You must always work on making yourself faster every year. Remember that speed is how far you can move in a given time. Getting from one place to another is affected by more than how fast you can run. Your quickness also comes into play. Quickness is affected by reflexes. Or how long it takes you to react when something happens. If you improve your reflexes your actions will start sooner and that means, you get there faster. Being aware of the different things that might happen in a game and anticipating can improve how soon you react. Try to learn as much about each situation that might happen and run over what you would do over-and-over until it is second nature to you. Getting as much game experience and reading basketball-coaching books will help you with this skill. Talking with me about game situations will help too. Improving your muscles will help you start your motions sooner and get up to maximum speed sooner. That will make you even faster. Ask your coach to check into plyometric exercises. Plyometrics will help you “explode” into motion. It will make you run faster and jump higher than you ever thought possible. If your coach is unable to help you, I will give you the titles of a few books and resources to use.
    That is all I will say for now about your strengths.
    In future talks we can cover more and help you turn your weaknesses into strengths. Tell me two or three things that you feel are weaknesses and we will talk about them. That brings us to item #2 on the list.

2- Improving your weaknesses.
    In your “Askme.com” question, you asked for help with three things: Getting into the lane strong, handling the ball, and finishing the lay-up in traffic. The one thing I can think of that will help both those weaknesses is learning to get better position on your opponent. This is a science in itself. In addition, you can learn many tricks to gain position, but it also takes teamwork. This little response is too small to cover the many tricks and strategies to gain position. Start by asking your coach to show you a few “post-up” moves to get you into good scoring position. If your coach is unable to help, I will explain a few to you and give you the titles of a few books and resources to use.
    As far as lay-ups, proper technique, best angle of attack, and gaining better position when you catch the ball are all ways to make more lay-ups. Learning how to move with power and balance is something your coach can help you with, but eating properly and having a good strength workout is a good start. You are tall for your age and that sometimes causes people to be less coordinated than their shorter friends are. That brings us to item #3 on the list.

3- Understanding your how your height and coordination will change, as you grow older.
    If you are one of these people do not worry. It is very common and it is nothing to worry about, because you grow out of it. Doing exercises that help coordination can help you through it sooner. Ask your coach to show you passing and ball handling drills that guards use. They will help you too. One thing I have found that helps most kids’ coordination is martial arts training. It improves hand-eye coordination speed, power, and reflexes. I will also give you some drills and exercises later for this.

4- Understanding the connection between Basketball and the rest of your life.
    Let’s save this for later discussions.

5- Planning for the coming years in Basketball.
    We can not talk about planning until we talk about item #4. Therefore, we will save this for much later.

I hope this first reply helps you, but remember we should keep this discussion going so that I can continue to help you. I look forward to talking more with you.

Play hard, play fair, and learn from your mistakes,
    Oldcoach
    Mhm2j Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2005, 04:57 PM
    2nd conversation
    Old Coach,

Sorry that I did not reply right away I was too busy with school and basketball. Well our season just ended and I am averaging 10.5 points per game and 5 assists per game. I'm a very good all around shooter but what my coach told me is to work on my quickness and strength. I am a skinny but tall guy and I really need to work on getting stronger. I really want to play high school ball but mentally I don't feel ready. About my dribbling skills do you know any workouts that gets me better at my handeling fast. I am going to work on everything that you suggest over the summer. So please reply and help me out again. By the ways you are on the right track.

Mhm2j

Apr 7, 2005, 08:39 PM
    Mhm2j,
    Great to hear from you...

You said--- Sorry that I did not reply right away I was too busy with school and basketball.
    I say--- Being busy with school and basketball is a good thing. You were busy with two of the most important things that will make you successful in life. School gives you a sure-fire career if your basketball career is cut short by injury or your skills topping out. Basketball can provide extra scholarship opportunities for college if your academics aren't spectacular. Plus, basketball teaches you to overcome your weaknesses and how to function in a team environment. That will help in most business settings.

You said--- Well our season just ended and I am averaging 10.5 points per game and 5 assists per game. I'm a very good all around shooter but what my coach told me is to work on my quickness and strength. I am a skinny but tall guy and I really need to work on getting stronger.
    I say--- From what you've told me before, it sounds like you want to be a Small Forward or Big Forward. In case you didn't know, each of the five positions in basketball have two names they are usually called.

Offensive Positions:
    ... The Basket...
    ... ________...
    ... ( )...
    ... #5 or... #4 or...
    ... Center... Big Forward...
    ... #3 or... #2 or...
    ... Small Forward... Shooting Guard...
    ... #1 or...
    ... Point Guard...

However, I like to call the Big Forward (#4) a Rebounding Forward and the Small Forward (#3) a Shooting Forward. Most really good players can also play the positions next to theirs. For example- the #2 player should be able to play the #1 or #3 positions too. It sounds like you would be suited for the #3 or #4 positions right now. If your coach is telling you to work on strength and quickness he is probably thinking #3 or #4 also. Ask your coach to recommend diet and weight training for basketball to gain strength. Your quickness will increase as you learn more about the game, but there are a few drills that will improve your quickness:

The Basketball Drop- Have a friend stand in front of you far enough away that his and your fingertips touch when your arms are pointing at each other. Give him a basketball and tell him to hold it at arm's length from you about shoulder high. You should stand relaxed with your hands at your sides. When he drops the ball try to catch it without scooping from underneath. Reach out and grab it on the sides with both hands. As you get more quick, your friend can hold the ball across from your belly, then your hips, and then across from your knees when you really start getting quick.

The Dribble-Steal- Have a friend dribble the ball in front of you. Take your defensive position. At first your friend should not prevent you from stealing the ball. Just as the ball leaves your friend's hand is the best time to go for it. As you get better your friend can try to prevent you from stealing the ball.

But, don't forget to work on your ball-handling skills. You may find later in your career that you want to be a Shooting Guard (#2), which requires better ball handling skills with great shooting skills. Division 1 colleges love tall guards. If you really want to learn from the best, find the video tape set by "Pistol" Pete Meravich. He was one of the best ball handlers ever. If you can't find it at the library, buy it. If you can't afford it, buy his book. Just do a search by author using his name.

You said--- I really want to play high school ball but mentally I don't feel ready.
    I say--- Confidence, but not arrogance: It is good to feel a little intimidated. Just make sure you channel that intimidation into working harder and smarter. Have confidence in your strengths, but don't be complacent with your skill level. Work on the things we talked about and soon you will notice improvement. By next season you can either choose to "Play-up" or "Play-down". Ask your coaches how your school does tryouts. If you can tryout for "Superfrosh" (That's a 9th grader who plays high school ball) and if you don't make that team tryout for Jr. High ball, those are the steps that I would take.

You said--- About my dribbling skills do you know any workouts that gets me better at my handeling fast.
    I said--- See above about Pete Meravich.

You said--- I am going to work on everything that you suggest over the summer.
    I said--- Good Luck

Oldcoach
    andonefreestyle Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2005, 07:46 PM
    Hello old coach, I have a question for you
    Hello old coach, my name is allen tupper and I'm 15 years old, I play as the position of shooting guard and small forward. I've benn playing basketball since about 5 years, I'm about 6 feet tall and 135 pound, I can't go into the lane because when the traffic comes they hit the ball and I get a turn over because I'm week, how can I post up better and drive true the lane better. And also how can I find out about my wekknesses witch one are they what am I good at?. How can I Developing your strengths. And do you have msn or an email address so we can talk more often please?? Please answer me back thankx you sincirly allen. :)
    Lilshaq Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2005, 03:45 PM
    I Really Nead Help
    I really nead somebodys help I am a 6'5 15 year old male I play basketball and fotball and vollyball. Well I really nead help in basketball I am a OK player I can shoot a 3 I can get it down low and score our I can shoot a long 2 and hit it. But I really am not cordanated I am a little slow and I really can not jump that hi I have a 21 inch verticel I do not finsh lay ups some times and I bring the ball down a lot and I can not drible that well please help me with all these things some body I really really need your help

Jul 9, 2005, 06:06 PM
    To AndOneFreeStyle
    You Said:
    Hello old coach, my name is allen tupper and I'm 15 years old, I play as the position of shooting guard and small forward. I've benn playing basketball since about 5 years, I'm about 6 feet tall and 135 pound,

I Said:
    Nice to meet you Allen. 15 years old puts you in about Eighth Grade. Five years experience is a great start in learning the game of basketball. Are you playing in Summer Leagues? Playing in a Summer League between regular seasons gives you two seaons of learning and development for each year instead of just one season each year. Being six feet tall in Eighth Grade is a definite advantage. It gives you a birds-eye-view of the court and makes you a better passing target for your teammates. You will grow more over the next few years and that will help also. Weighing 135 lbs. is a little light for a small forward, but not that far off for a shooting guard at your level. Improve your diet, get plenty of sleep, and talk to a strength training coach about a workout routine. At Small Forward and Shooting Guard. You shouldn't get really big; just get stronger. Try to gain 15 lbs. of muscle over the rest of Summer.

You Said:
    I can't go into the lane because when the traffic comes they hit the ball and I get a turn over because I'm week,

I Said:
    You may need a little stength training, but that isn't the only thing you need in-the-lane. Use your height to protect the ball. You don't need to dribble into the traffic in the lane. According to the rules, you have a step-and-a-half before the refs will call travelling. Try this: Stand at the foul-line and take two giant steps towards the basket. At your height you should end up almost under the basket. Does that tell you something? Once you get to the lane you don't need to dribble to get to the basket. Starting just inside the three-point-line, if you take one dribble to get by your opponent and one more as you enter the lane, that's all you need. After that, pick the ball up high above your head, take that last giant step without dribbling to the open spot, jump off a little and finsh the shot. If you don't dribble in traffic it greatly reduces the chance of people smacking the ball. If you keep the ball very high as you enter the lane and finsh, the shorter people will have to foul you to stop you. Just practice on making your foul shots so that those fouls result in points. If you catch a pass near the basket do not dribble. Keep the ball high, pivot and finish the shot. Lastly, learn to expect contact. Think, "I am a tank" and play off the bumps when they come. There are lots of other things you can do too, but this should bring immediate results.

You Said:
    How can I post up better

I Said:
    The general idea is to give the guards an open lane to make a clean pass to you and give yourself space to get the shot off.

There are three basic ways that a person can guard you near the basket. First, they can play in front of you, between you and the ball. Second, they can play right behind you, between you and the basket. Third, they can three-quarter guard you, standing next to you with one hand between you and the ball and one foot behind you, between you and the basket.

Here is one thing to do for each:
    1- When your opponent plays right in front of you:
    Keep edging him further away from the basket until there is enough room behind you to pass the ball over his head to you. Keep your hip gainst his butt until the ball goes right above you. Then move towards it , catch it, and finish the layup. If you can't nudge him forward step beside him and away from the basket. He will move back in front of you. When he does, put your hip on his butt, then move to the basket with your hand up, catch the ball, and finish the layup. DO NOT DRIBBLE THE BALL.
    2- When your opponent plays right behind you:
    Keep nudging him closer to the basket until he is almost under it, receive the pass, but stay against him until the ball is on its way to you. Before it gets to you, quickly step away, receive the ball, raise it high, pivot and finish the shot. If you can't nudge him step to the side and get beside him on the foul line side and move half a step to the basket. When he moves back behind you, nudge him before he gets set. Then make the catch and shoot move I just described.
    3- If he three-quarter guards you, nudge him towards the end line. Stay against him until the pass is began. Then move away, catch the ball, pivot, and finish the shot. If you can't nudge him, move one step towards the ball. When he moves back beside you, nudge him before he gets set. Then use the move I just described.

Remember... Your opponent may not try to stay in front, beside, or behind all the time, but you can use your moves in combination to counter whatever he decides to do.

You Said:
    How can I drive though the lane better.

I Said:
    Use what I said above about driving the lane in traffic. It works.

You Said:
    And also how can I find out about my weaknesses. What are they. What am I good at?

I Said:
    This is a tough one since I haven't seen you play or practice. You have told me some of what you believe your weaknesses are, but I think there might be one more. Do you spend enough time working on ball-handling, shooting, and discussing exactly how to improve with your coaches? You should talk about it with your coaches, because it will help you understand just what he wants from you and it will help him realize that you are willing to work harder if he tells you what to work on. Ask your coach, "How can I improve to help our team more?" If he gives you a general answer like, "Make more shots." Ask another question like, "What are some good drills to improve my shooting?"

You Said:
    How can I develop my strengths.

I Said:
    Ask your coach questions as I said above and work hard on the drills he gives you.

You Said:
    Do you have msn or an email address so we can talk more often please?? Please answer me back thankx you sincirly allen.

I Said:
    Yes, but let's see if you are willing to get started working and talk more with me here.

Play hard, Play fair, and learn from your mistakes.
    OldCoach

Jul 10, 2005, 06:31 PM
    To Lilshaq
    You Said:
    I really need somebody’s help. I am a 6'5 15 year old male. I play basketball, football, and volleyball.

I Said:
    Let us see, at 15 years old you should be in about the Eighth Grade. Six-feet-five inches tall… Wow that is tall and you should grow more over the next few years. Being that tall in the eighth grade gives you a birds-eye-view of the court and makes you a better passing target for your teammates. Playing several sports will help round out your athletic ability. I am a big fan of playing multiple sports. Just make sure they do not work against each other. For example, some positions in football require you to really bulk up, but all but the center position in basketball requires a more slender and toned body. If the positions you play conflict in this way, I suggest that you make a decision which sport, you want to pursue more and eliminate the other. Another option is to find out if you can switch positions to something compatible. I think Volleyball is a good off-season sport for Basketball. The only thing you want to do during Volleyball season is work on your stamina for running up and down that basketball court. Do not overdo it; just keep your stamina in reasonable condition.

You Said:
    Well I really need help in basketball. I am an OK player. I can shoot a three-pointer. I can get the ball down low and score, or I can shoot a long two-pointer and hit it.

I said:
    You seem to be a solid scorer down low or at long range, yet you mention later that you do not handle the ball as well as you should. Right now, you would make a good Big Forward or Small Forward. You have not mentioned your weight or strength, so I can not comment on whether you would be a good Center.
    Tell me if you are a good rebounder. Can you post up or do you flash to an opening down low? Can you set a screen? How is your shot-blocking ability?

You Said:
    I really am not coordinated.

I said:
    Do you mean that:
    1- You do not run well?
    2- You do not dribble well?
    3- You do not catch the ball well?
    4- Or do you not do some other skill well?
    Just tell me and I will help you.

You Said:
    I am a little slow and I really can not jump that high. I have a 21-inch vertical jump. If I am not mistaken, at six-feet-five-inches tall with a 21 in vertical, you probably can not dunk the ball, but you can touch the net. Am I right? If you had about a 28”-30” vertical jump, you could probably dunk the ball.

I said:
    Several factors can cause a short vertical jump:
    A. You are not strong enough to jump higher.
    B. You are not coordinated enough to jump higher.
    C. You are too heavy to jump higher.
    D. You are too short to jump higher.

I think we can eliminate item D right away. I do not know if you are too heavy. So you decide. Here is a way to figure out how much you should weigh:

1. Extend your arm in front of your body bending your elbow at a ninety-degree angle to your body so that your forearm is parallel to your body.
    2. Keep your fingers straight and turn the inside of your wrist towards your body.
    3. Place your thumb and index finger on the two prominent bones on either side of your elbow, and then measure the distance between the bones with a tape measure or calipers.

Height Elbow Measurement
    6’to 5” 2 Ľ” to 2 ˝”

4. Compare your elbow measurement to the chart above. The chart lists the elbow measurement for a medium frame. If your elbow measurement is less than the number of inches listed, you are a small frame. If your elbow measurement for that particular height is more than the number of inches listed, your are a large frame.
    5. Then use your frame size to find what you should weigh with the chart below.

Small Frame = 118 – 134 lbs.
    Medium Frame = 127 – 143 lbs.
    Large Frame = 137 – 164 lbs.

If your weight does not fall within your frame size, you have to either gain or lose weight. Check it and tell me how it turns out. If it is too confusing just give me the elbow measurement and I will do the rest.

If you are not strong enough (Item A) or not coordinated enough (Item B) I can help there too.

All we need to do is figure out why you cannot jump very high and work on it.

You Said:
    I do not finish lay ups some times.

I said:
    Why do you not finish lay-ups? Do you get blocked or just miss the shot? I can help you as soon as we discover a reason.

You Said:
    I bring the ball down a lot and I can not dribble that well.

I said:
    It sounds like you may have some ability as a Guard. You may find later in your career that you want to be a Shooting Guard (#2), which requires better ball handling skills with great shooting skills. Division 1 colleges love tall guards. If you really want to learn from the best, find the videotape set by "Pistol" Pete Meravich. He was one of the best ball handlers ever. If you cannot find it at the library, buy it. If you cannot afford the tapes, buy his book. You can find it by doing a search by author using his name.

Play hard, Play fair, and learn from your mistakes.
    Oldcoach
    andonefreestyle Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2005, 09:41 PM
    To old coach
    Hey I have a question, my vertical really sucks OK, I'm 6 feet tall and I don't even touch the rym of a 9.5 feet basketball that's sucks,
    My brother is 5.5 and he almost dunks, I'm about 135 pounds, and 6 feet, is there any exercice to do to increase my vertical because I don't want to buy a vertical jumping program its too much and I want to dunk before the end of the summe but how, any exercice or calves increase exercice or video or something to jump higher??
    And this time please give me your email because it takes you a long time to answer back please your email is [email protected]??
    iamchase4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2005, 03:34 PM
    To old coach
    Old coach, you really seem to know your stuff, so I wanted to ask you... I don't know what I should be doing daily. I'm 14 and I'm going to be a freshman at j.j. pearce high school in the RISD school district. I'm 5'4" 110 lbs (yes very short, for now... ) I've been trying to put together a daily schedule for myself and so far I've put on there:

1. shoot 550 shots every day
    2. a ball handling workout mon-friday
    3. a jumping program (I may also try the vertical project)

And that's all I can really think of. I know basketball isn't all about shooting, handling the ball, and jumping, but that's all I could think of so far. If you have any suggestions on what I should be practicing daily (and I should saying working not practicing cause I want to get BETTER) than they would be much appreciated! :D
    Malfa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2005, 10:07 PM
    Hey Oldcoach, I have been reading up on this thread.. which I found looking for some good basketball excersises.

I'm 14.. going into my freshmen year. I'm hoping to make the freshmen team (I'm 5'6" and I'm 125 pounds... a point guard). The thing is... is that there is about 5 other PG's coming into their freshmen year that are all better me. I want to make the team realllllly bad and I'm willing to work hard.

I have a weight training coach that is helping me. We work out everyday in the morning... arms one day.. then legs for 3 days straight.. then arms. Etc...
    Also at the end of every excersises we do abs... I already have a 6 pack.. without flexing.

I need to work on speed, reflexes/quickness (to steal the ball better), dribbling, shooting, and vertical jump. I'm not bad at these all.. but I can use some work.

I have excersises for me to do for dribbling... running up and down the court right handed, switch to left handed, between the legs, and behind the back.

I also am going to try that 550 shots that... that one person posted.

Also for my vertical jump I'm going to be doing dunknow. www.dunknow.com Right now I can touch around the middle of the net on a regular size hoop.

I'm not sure what to do for speed, and reflexes. Also do you have anything to add to my dribbling, shooting, and vertical.

Jul 25, 2005, 12:29 PM
    To iamchase4
    You Said--
    Old coach, you really seem to know your stuff, so I wanted to ask you... I don't know what I should be doing daily. I'm 14 and I'm going to be a freshman at j.j. pearce high school in the RISD school district. I'm 5'4" 110 lbs (yes very short, for now...) ive been trying to put together a daily schedule for myself and so far ive put on there:

1. shoot 550 shots every day
    2. a ball handling workout mon-friday
    3. a jumping program (i may also try the vertical project)

and thats all i can really think of. i know basketball isnt all about shooting, handling the ball, and jumping, but thats all i could think of so far. if you have any suggestions on what i should be practicing daily (and i should saying working not practicing cause i want to get BETTER) than they would be much appreciated!

I said--
    The three workouts you have mentioned look great. Just remember three things:
    1- YOU must put forth the time and effort required to improve. The books won't do it for you. Stay dedicated to the routines and don't give up.
    2- Do not burn yourself out. Start slow by working into your routines for one or two weeks. Warm up before each workout and cool down after each workout. Stay hydrated.
    3- If you have the money to buy the "Jump Program" do it. If you don't, just go to the library and pick up a good book on Plyometrics.

If you have any questions just reply here.

Good Luck,
    Oldcoach
    iamchase4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2005, 12:58 PM
    Reply to old coach
    Thanks old coach. I just wanted to know though, is that enough to be working on, because I want to be the best basketball player at my school/in my district/in the state/in the country/ etc. etc. you know, but is that enough to be working on or are there other things I should be doing daily?
    Malfa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2005, 02:05 PM
    Also Oldcoach, what can help me have better defense? I guess speed and moving my feet faster...

Jul 26, 2005, 07:29 PM
    Iamchase4
    You Said--
    Thanks old coach. I just wanted to know though, is that enough to be working on, because I want to be the best basketball player at my school/in my district/in the state/in the country/ etc. etc. you know, but is that enough to be working on or are there other things I should be doing daily?

I said--
    What you have mapped out is a great start. I say again... Don't burn yourself out. I know it is very tempting to work every minute that you can, but it will wear out your body. Your body is a well-made machine, but as machines go, it can wear out if not maintained properly. Your joints have only so many repetitions they can do before they wear out and if overworked or misused will break.

It is important to stay in shape, but you must not "peak" yourself before season. Your body cannot remain in peak condition constantly without wearing out or breaking before its time. The trick is to stay in resonable shape out-of-seaon so that it is not too hard for you to get into court-shape. There is a difference between court-shape and peak condition. Before your first seasonal game, you must be in minimum court condition. That is, you must be ready to play hard for 32 minutes with no more than one minute of rest every eight minutes and a half-time break. That doesn't mean you are at your best condition. It means you are ready to play a real game. As the season progresses, you must get more and more near to your "peak" condition. Peak condition for basketball should be reached one or two games before regular season is over and remain there until playoffs and finals are over. You must keep this continuous cycle going in time with your sports. Although I am a fan of playing multiple sports, I do believe that only one of those sports must be the dominant one. The others must take a secondary role.

Very few athletes are able to peak two or three times a year and remain healthy. It is better to choose the sport you like best and peak only for that one, using the others to maintain your pre-season condition. Now that I've beat that point to death, let's talk about working smarter, not harder.

The routines you have chosen are great, but remember, it is not how many repetitions you do that makes you great. There is a saying, "Practice makes permanent, not perfect". This means if you practice the wrong way or the wrong things you make those bad habits permanent. So, talking with your coaches to ensure that you are practicing and working out right is very important.

I hope this helps you more. If you have more questions ask away.

Good Luck,
    Oldcoach
    voodoo[virus] Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2005, 01:05 PM
    Finishing in traffic
    An easy way to finish in traffic is to outjump the competition. This way the chances of you getting fouled go up, and the chances of u getting blocked diminish.

If anyone is interested in increasing your vertical leap

Email me at [email protected]
    bballplayah Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 09:06 PM
    Help me too please
    I need help... I need to know what kind of other moves I can do with the ball to diek and fake9shake off defenders) I've mastered through the legs and behigd the back. I'm 12 in gr 8 and 4 11" lmao don't laugh.. im small and I need to know hoiw to use that as a strehgth.. I play as samll forward and play on my school's junior team! Please help :confused:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basketball practice better than game time [ 7 Answers ]

Ok hi how are you Well I got a problem See I don't know what is wrong with me Every time I have a basketball game I freeze and I play like shit but in practice I'm like the best player on the team . Something is wrong with me and I don't know how to fix it I feel like I'm letting the whole...

Will I be able to practice? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm just finishing my first year of law school, and am kind of embarrassed to ask this. I entered a debt settlement company, and they were lousy. I now have three accounts left, and with interest they are now in upwards of $30,000. I'm leaving the company, but the three account left are with...

A-1 Photography Practice Set [ 0 Answers ]

I need help with the A-1 photography practice set. I don't even know where to start. Has anyone done it?

Has anyone done the A-1 Photography practice set? [ 2 Answers ]

Need the A-1 Photography practice set?

View more questions Search