Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 09:37 PM

450donn,
    What reason do you have to accuse me of being brain washed?
    NONE JUSTIFIED...
    I used the Holy Bible.
    If you think that is brain washing, that is your opinion, but not that of billions of other Christians.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 10:00 PM
    Whatever context they are in, it still shows that, as in the Old Testament traditions, we now follow a New Testament Tradition, instituted by Christ. These verses speak directly to the existence of 'Tradition'. They show the existence of a Christ instituted and centered Tradition regardless of the context. Then what do we make of the verse in Acts? Just ignore it and it'll fade from memory? But, not fitting the mold of 'no tradition', what of other verses that point to Tradition in Christ through the Apostles, ignore them too?

“And we charge you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw yourselves from every brother walking disorderly and not according to the tradition which they have received of us." 2Thessalonians 3:6

"And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the communication of the breaking of bread, and in prayers. Acts of the Apostles 2:42

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 10:34 PM

JoeT,
    As I have pointed said several times, Catholic teachings and beliefs are all based on Holy Scripture.
    There is NO getting around that fact.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 16, 2010, 11:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 450donn View Post
    Yes Fred, we all understand that you have been brainwashed. But sure is fun to dispel all your thoughts all the time.
    Do not insult people of any religion. He has a right to make his point, just as you do yours. Post your answers in a professional way or get off this post. Go tell some other religion they have been brainwashed and see where it will get you. You can respond in a mature way.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 16, 2010, 11:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    And how does the RCC 'indoctrinate'?

What reforms? I’m unaware of any ‘reforms’ that aren’t ‘deformed’.

The 'ideas' you speak of are rooted in Christ, Scripture, Tradition, Church, Bishops, Councils, Popes, and miracles. Abandon any one of these and you’ve abandon them all. All of these focus on our love for Christ, Christ’s word and Christ’s commandments. Therefore, are you suggesting that Catholics should abandon Christ?

JoeT
    More indoctrination Joe, how are popes. Councils, tradition rooted in Christ?

Christ spoke against tradition, he spoke against the nicolatians. I don't need a Pope, I don't need your traditions and I don't need your councils. Christ is the head of every man, that is Scripture, we are all competent ministers of the new covenant, that is Scripture, a Bishop is a husband of one wife, that is Scripture. I'm suggesting Catholics should abandon the traditions of men and follow Christ
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2010, 12:02 AM

rosemcs,
    Thanks much.
    You made your point quite well.
    You'll note that I responded by saying my education came from Holy Scripture.
    Have not been brain-washed.
    Thanks again,
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 17, 2010, 12:23 AM

Inhisservice, the Catholic Church is based on Scripture and Tradition. The Tradition of the apostles and the first generation of those that practiced what Jesus taught after His departure on earth.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 03:15 AM

I agree in several points that Paraclete has made, tried rating but the rating disappeared for some reason. The question is for those who feel Catholicism has turned so many away and why?

This thread is not about defending Catholicism to a fault this thread is for peoples opinions on why it has turned so many away and for people to share their stories.

This thread has turned into a battle between different groups of people. The people that think they are right and others that do not even want to look at the side of the person who speaks up about what they think about Catholicism.

This thread is not meant to be an argues between two beliefs or different beliefs but for people who have had experiences in Catholicism and what drives people away from the church.

So Back to the original question please.
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 17, 2010, 03:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rosemcs View Post
    Jesushelper, from what planet are you speaking of that all children are worthy? Have you hung around children lately? (You are talking to a sub teacher here.) It really depends on which child and most children behave greatly on how their parents raise them, the parent being the one that is responsible for their example.

By worthy in the Catholic Church, it means that they have been baptized and do not have the stain of mortal sin on the soul. This is what is meant by total communion with the Church. One is having a relationship with Christ, who is head of the Church, and therefore abides by what He has established. Once again, I say from my previous post, that if one does not want to follow the rules, why would one even want to stay in that religion? (I don't say this for you, just in general, as a theoretical question.)

Let's switch it around a bit and say that an outsider to the Catholic Faith (or to any religion) can not get offended by not being accepted (ie. being able to receive Holy Communion), if that person does not accept the teachings anyway...either you are for or against. One could compare it to having to accept any code of conduct in the freemasons, boy scouts, military, you name it. You belong if you accept the teachings (rules, code, etc). Otherwise, why bother being in that group?

I have nothing against you, and love your name...this post is getting off topic, but maybe jenjuru will gain some perspective from it. I believe that we are opening up a whole new range of topics with these discussions.
    You trying to be holier then thou in your posts about respect with other people yet, you state my opinions and thoughts are what again?
    Things and posts and other peoples thoughts have been getting twisted a lot here and taking out of context. Not just specifically you but others and starting to get tired of it.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 17, 2010, 03:24 AM
    >Thread Closed<
    As it has degenerated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Catholicism? Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

If I was to ask give me a summary of what the catholic church is about and why I should choose it over any other religion what would you say?

On Catholicism and justification by works. [ 107 Answers ]

Hello, I've heard it said that Catholics believe that we are justified by faith and works. What works do they have in mind? I'd like to get a Catholic perspective on this. Rob

A muslim's view on Catholicism? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 14 year old Catholic and in school at this moment in time we're learning about the Islamic faith. I have my views on the religion and I must say, I do highly respect Muslims - even if that does sound like a slight generalisation. Sadly enough though, I live in quite a tight community and go...

RCIA, learning catholicism want to be baptised [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in catholicism. I am not christened or baptised, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with being baptised as an adult, and if so what the process of the RCIA is like, and how long it takes, etc Thank you Jojo

Studying Catholicism [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend is Catholic. I was never raised with a religion. My boyfriend is very serious about his religion, he doesn't mind I don't have a religion which I am thankful for. But I wanted to start studying the religion to see if I have the same beliefs as him. He said he would teach me...

View more questions Search