Ask
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 8, 2010, 11:48 PM

Please re read my posts rosemcs.
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 9, 2010, 12:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesushelper76 View Post
    A Child is not worthy??? I think children are more worthy then adults to receive the host.

Nope not all scripture based. NO NOT EVERYTHING. Sorry but you need to understand the church, catholic church specifically does not have it right. All Right, and no it is not ALL scripture based.

If that was the case you would see ALL the children receive the host and other judgmental and no it all adults would have to take a back seat.

Is any of us worthy, Think not. See what I mean. Your arguments for, fall flat.
    It was in reference to this post.

Children can be more judgemental than adults and would not necessarily be first in line. It depends on the disposition of the soul.

There are too many topics to discuss and it should become another thread now...
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2010, 12:30 AM

Jesushelper76,'
    Please think about that.
    To be worthy of the Eucharist a person MUST understand what it is, what it does, and what it is meant for.
    While young children can understand some things a sacrament such as the Eucharist is very complex.
    I know that you do not believe it when I say that everything God's Holy Church does and teaches is based on the bible, but I KNOW that it is.
    I studied that long and hard for many years and I was very hard to convince.
    It took bible and Catholicism experts much effort to finally show that to me.
    You can believe as you wish. That's one of the things that at this moment is still free to do.
    And I will believe and I know no matter what even to my death if necessary.
    I left behind some family members and many friends when I became a Catholic. It was hard to do.
    But the change was well worth it for I am now very happy and comfortable with my Christianity.
    I hope and PRAY that you are also or will become so.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 12:45 AM

I think many Christians miss the boat on many issues.

I am very comfortble in my beliefs. I have a very strong personal relationship between Myself and God.

Well lets get the bible out point for point. I am not talking about bits and pieces but the whole bible.

Just because you studied long and hard does not make you right over me.

Does not make your beliefs better then mine. Does not mean that everything your made to believe is right. Even if you think so.

I pray that Gods wisdom will show others true love and acceptance and what it truly means within your heart and soul to have a true relationship with God. One that is not developed by what other people tell you is right, but what your heart within and the spirit that God gave you to reveal what is true love.

Catholic Church is not Gods Holy Church. No one religion or denomination is 100 percent correct.

Sorry but I have pointed out many things. In the end, it is You and God you will have to answer to.

Just like I know within my spirit and relationship with God that I know what is true for my spirit in this life.

This will be an endless topic that went way off topic but I have not judged you at all, but share my personal spirit and what I feel is wrong in the church setting.

Take care of yourself,

Joe
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2010, 01:36 AM

What is it about Catholicism that turns so many away?

That was the question. I answered it. It should not have turned into debate but not surprised that it did.

It is not a thread about defending, or standing up for certain churches. It is about exactly what the question asked.
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2010, 12:09 AM

Jesushelper76,
    You are very right.
    Back to the topic.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fted
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2010, 08:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TUT317 View Post
    Yes I agree with that. The problem is that Pallen ignores or fails to see the importance of separating church and state. This is the basis of any liberal philosophy.

The problem is that if we reject Liberalism then we have very few alternatives other than some type of autocratic government.

Regards

Tut

Are you referring to Sarah Palin or someone else?
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 08:51 PM

Jesushelper76,
    You are right about the toopic.
    What is "The Shack" about?
    Fred
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Feb 12, 2010, 11:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Are you referring to Sarah Palin or someone else?
    Hi JudyKayTee,

Sorry. I better explain this a little better. I was actually referring to Dr. C Pallen, PhD.

Joe T put up a web address a few posts back. It was under the heading of, 'Liberalism is a Sin' . I was very critical of Pallen's thesis. One of my criticisms was that Pallen didn't address the distinction between church and state adequately.I found it incredulous that in his thesis the words,"social contract" did not get a mention.

Your 'Bill of Rights' is an example of a social contract. You and everyone else is guaranteed religious freedom. Also, the government cannot start up its own religion. In fact the government's role is to actively promote staying out of religion. On the other hand, it is quite acceptable for religious organizations to be politically active.

This is roughly what I mean by separation of church and state.

Regards

Tut
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2010, 11:46 PM

TUT317,
    I believe that there can be no TRUE separation of Church and state simply because human beings run the government and each one has their indivduale beliefs.
    To some extent each one of those folks work, act, and vote according to their beliefs.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Feb 13, 2010, 01:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    TUT317,
    I believe that there can be no TRUE separation of Church and state simply because human beings run the government and each one has their indivduale beliefs.
    To some extent each one of those folks work, act, and vote according to their beliefs.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Hi Fred,

Yes I agree, there is no clear cut distinction.

Regards

Tut
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 08:44 AM
    Jesushelper76,
    You are right about the toopic.
    What is "The Shack" about?
    Fred
    This is a topic for another thread Fred. Why don't you ask it?
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenjeru View Post
    I am currently working on an experimental documentary about religious upbringing and in connecting with others to explore why we do or do not question our faith, I've found that most of those who feel strongly against religion were raised Catholic. What is it about Catholicism that turns so many away? Is it the "fear and guilt" associated with Catholicism? Is it the rigid traditionalism or Catholic schooling?
    In my case it was Catholic Schooling and the clergy. What I found in adult life was they had taught me about religion but had not introduced me to Christ. I am very against religion but not against Christianity which is a relationship between the believer and Jesus. Catholicism has introduced a lot of side issues into Christianity and produced a highly complex religion
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 10:41 PM

The Catholic Churches all are Christ centered.
    Every Mass service includes several readings from the holy bible including the gospels and the preaching is centered on the daily readings.
    That's right there are services for the congregation every day of the week.
    The Catholic Church promulgated the holy bible at the inspiration of the Holy Spirit for the world and uses it that way every day.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    JoeT777 Posts: 1,248, Reputation: 44
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 10:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    In my case it was Catholic Schooling and the clergy. What I found in adult life was they had taught me about religion but had not introduced me to Christ. I am very against religion
    That has to say more for the student then the master.

JoeT
    Ultra Member

Feb 13, 2010, 11:02 PM

JoeT,
    Well said.
    Good point made.
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 02:58 PM
    The Catholic Churches all are Christ centered.
    Every Mass service includes several readings from the holy bible including the gospels and the preaching is centered on the daily readings.
    That's right there are services for the congregation every day of the week.
    The Catholic Church promulgated the holy bible at the inspiration of the Holy Spirit for the world and uses it that way every day.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Fred where do you get this stuff? The Catholic Church maintained it's services in Latin for centuries and prevented the Bible from being translated. They burned the Bible translators at the stake. They in fact denied access to the Scriptures for the ordinary person. You might want to say to us, they have changed but in reality they haven't.
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeT777 View Post
    That has to say more for the student then the master.

JoeT
    So Joe you don't believe in the adage if the student doesn't learn the teacher hasn't taught. What I know, Joe, is you can't impart what you don't know yourself, so if the master doesn't know Christ, the student will not either, thus the great falling away. It is not the fault of those taught in Catholic schools, it is the fault of their teachers who will be those to whom Christ will say depart from me I never knew you
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2010, 09:58 PM

paraclete,
    It is true that in the past certain members of The Church made some mistakes just as some in all churches make mistakes today as you and I sometimes do.
    The stories about what The Church did with Holy Scripture are mostly un-true.
    IF The Church had wanted to only it would have the bible today for, for for many years it was the only one who printed it.
    I've know for years that you are very anti-Catholic so I think that you probably won't believe me or real authentic history on that.
    Be that as it may be...
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    rosemcs Posts: 325, Reputation: 47

Feb 14, 2010, 10:52 PM

First of all, Paraclete, for many years, most of the population was illiterate, and the Catholic monks diligently transcribed the Bible as their job. They kept the Bible available for many because of the copies they made. As the people began to become more literate, and the Divine Office was continually passed down through each generation, which contains the Bible passages all throughout it, there was more of a population that were then able to read the Bible.

"St Benedict founded his monastery at Montecassino, which included among the daily tasks prescribed for the monks, the transcription of works in Latin. These monasteries founded a tradition of literate scholarship which was carried through Benedictine monasteries during the whole course of the middle ages, and was particularly significant in re-establishing Latin literacy in the early middle ages."
    Monastic Scribes

So, in a great sense, the Bible was passed down because of these monks. These Catholic monks, in return, helped cultivate university--and becoming literate.

Secondly, the Mass is no longer in Latin everywhere. If one goes to a Latin Mass and feels that it should be in his own tongue, all one has to do is pick up the Missal in the pew and read the translation. The Latin language is so much richer than the English language, it is incredible. In no way does the Catholic Church want to lose or deny this jewel, even as Pope Benedict has invited the priests to bring it back to the parish if they wish.

Latin is still widely used by many people who wish to learn a foreign language, because so many languages (especially the romance languages) have their roots in it. It is a core class for the seminarian. Latin is the heart of the Catholic Church as it is for much of the world.

I invite you to study the countless Catholics who were tortured, burned, eaten by lions, shot, hung, hit by arrows, and had their head chopped off, just because they believed in God. These martyers died to preserve this faith that had been handed down to them.

Did you study the children saints when you were a child? Did the story of St. Agnes, a small girl, who refused to give up her faith to the hands of the king touch you at all? Her head was chopped off. What about the little boy, St. Tarcisius who was stoned for trying to carry Holy Communion to inmates? And 12 yr. old St. Maria Goretti, who refused to give up her virginity, and was killed at the hand of her rapist, whom she later forgave? It is not completely the teacher's responsibility to change a heart. It is knowledge, wisdom, and understanding, grace given by God, and an open heart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Catholicism? Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

If I was to ask give me a summary of what the catholic church is about and why I should choose it over any other religion what would you say?

On Catholicism and justification by works. [ 107 Answers ]

Hello, I've heard it said that Catholics believe that we are justified by faith and works. What works do they have in mind? I'd like to get a Catholic perspective on this. Rob

A muslim's view on Catholicism? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a 14 year old Catholic and in school at this moment in time we're learning about the Islamic faith. I have my views on the religion and I must say, I do highly respect Muslims - even if that does sound like a slight generalisation. Sadly enough though, I live in quite a tight community and go...

RCIA, learning catholicism want to be baptised [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am interested in catholicism. I am not christened or baptised, but I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with being baptised as an adult, and if so what the process of the RCIA is like, and how long it takes, etc Thank you Jojo

Studying Catholicism [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, My boyfriend is Catholic. I was never raised with a religion. My boyfriend is very serious about his religion, he doesn't mind I don't have a religion which I am thankful for. But I wanted to start studying the religion to see if I have the same beliefs as him. He said he would teach me...

View more questions Search