Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kv2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2010, 11:15 PM
    Parent & subsidiary questions
    Hello!
    I have a question I hope you guys can answer.

So the story is a parent company and its subsidiary have the conditions stated below... and I have to prepare the working paper elimination entries.

Acquired interest: 100%
    Amount paid: 1,450,000

Subsidiary capital balances-
    Capital stock: 1,000,000
    Other contributed cap: 250,000
    Retained earnings: 300,000

Acquired interest: 90%
    Amount paid: 1,125,000

Subsidiary capital balances-
    Capital stock: 1,000,000
    Other contributed cap: 325,000
    Retained earnings: (100,000)

So...

Going back to the basics.. the elimination entries are required because when the parent and sub. Prepare consolidated financial statements we want to get rid of all the overlapping that will occur, right? Such as intercompany transactions?
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Feb 6, 2010, 01:04 AM

Investment in subsidiary will be eliminated against the shareholders' equity balances on the date of acquisition. If it is a 100% subsidiary, ALL subsidiary SE accounts will be eliminated. If it is less than 100%, then the SE accounts will be eliminated to the extent of control held by parent and the balance goes to Minority or Non Controlling Interest.

If there is a balance remaining after elimination, it represents goodwill. Positive goodwill is carried forward but negative goodwill is credited to retained earnings of parent.

Elimination of "overlapping" accounts is carried out at the end of the year. There are so many items that need to be eliminated it is not possible to explain in this forum. You need to refer to appropriate text book.
    kv2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2010, 11:11 PM

Hm that seems like it would make more sense to eliminate to the extent of control held by parent..

But the answer I am provided eems to say otherwise:

For 2
    Dr capital stock 1,000,000
    Dr other capital 325,000
    Dr differential 22,500
    Cr retained earnings 100,000
    Cr minority interest 122,500
    Cr investment in subsidiary 1,250,000

It seems even though the parent acquired only 90% of the susidiary, 100% of the subsidiary's capital balances are eliminated?
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Feb 7, 2010, 09:22 AM

I have would suggest the following entries:
    (a) Eliminate Investment in subsidiary
    Debit Share capital 900,000
    Debit other contributed capital 292,500
    Debit Goodwill 22,500
    Credit Retained earnings 90,000
    Credit Investment in subsidiary 1,125,000

(b) Eliminate subsidiary's equity accounts
    Debit Share capital 90,000
    Debit Other contributed capital 32,500
    Credit Retained earnings 10,000
    Credit Minority Interest 112,500

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step parent adoption questions [ 38 Answers ]

I live in Western NYS. I had a daughter in 2002 with my ex husband. We separated shortly after and I was granted sole custody in 2005 due to his lack of involvement with my daughter. Currently I have sole custody and his visitation rghts were suspended in 2006 for 6 months and he never repetitioned...

Parent Custody Questions [ 6 Answers ]

I'm Caroline and I'm the oldest of three children, I'm 15 and will be 16 in May of 2009. My two younger brothers are 12 and 13. We live with my mom and new stepdad. We love our stepdad although the new authority with two parents is a bit overwhelming. Anyway, every weekend, we visit our father in a...

Elixir Industry, parent or subsidiary [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out if Elixir Industry, with addresses in Las Vegas, NV (for tax purposes I'm guessing) and Orange, CA, manufacturers of EZorb, is the parent company or a subsidiary. Their web site is devoid of any information about company officers, contact phone numbers for the various...

View more questions Search