Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    knelson827 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 04:44 PM
    i accidentally poured oil in radiator
    I stupidly poured about 1/2 quart of oil in my radiator (cap screwup). I'm sure I need to get this backflushed. But can I drive it to a mechanic or do I need to have it towed? 2003 BMW X5.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 22, 2006, 06:09 PM
    I would drain it and flush it where it sits, or have it towed.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 06:11 PM
    I would open the drain and let the radiator empty. Then I would flush with distilled water and let it drain. Next, I would add a radiator flush to distilled water and drive the car for 20 minutes. I would drain this and then add a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water.
    Dr D Posts: 698, Reputation: 127

Nov 22, 2006, 06:47 PM
    Txgreasemonkey has offered sage advice, for someone who is able, and wishes to cure the problem themselves. But, for the person who only chooses the options of a tow-truck, or a drive to the garage, I would drive the car. All that I can see resulting from a short drive with some oil in the radiator is a rather nasty emulsion of oil and water, with some extra lubrication to the water pump. Since I have never experienced this problem, I might have overlooked something. Let me know.
    sjb Posts: 10, Reputation: 2
    -

Nov 22, 2006, 07:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by knelson827
    I stupidly poured about 1/2 quart of oil in my radiator (cap screwup). I'm sure I need to get this backflushed. But can I drive it to a mechanic or do I need to have it towed? 2003 BMW X5.
    Yes you can drive it. I'd leave it in. It'll lubricate the water pump.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Nov 22, 2006, 08:01 PM
    I don't think a short drive to a repair shop would make any difference just be sure they
    Do a thorough flush of the rad and the block with all drain points open in the block and
    Running clear if you don't want to do it yourself at home.
    It may be necessary to repeat after a few hundred miles if oil globs are still seen in the radiator.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 09:35 PM
    I did this recently on a mini van, but I did it with trans fluid. (same color as the coolant) and wasn't paying attention to my containers. I had to flush twice, the watch it run to full warm up and let the coolant spill over the top of the radiator because oil will come to the top. The oil will start to soften the rubber hoses if left in there so get all you can out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Accidentally deleted the multimedia audio controller [ 2 Answers ]

I think I accidentally deleted the multimedia audio controller from my PC. How do I recover it?

Dodge Radiator Problem [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan minivan that is now on its 5th radiator and about to get a 6th. Anyone know what's with these junkers? Made of cardboard? Anyone else having this problem? THANKS.

Poured shower base & plumbing [ 1 Answers ]

Hi... Me and my wife wanted to replace our existing plastic shower base with a poured concrete and tile job. But talking to our last contractor he said that in order to raise the drain for the added tile height, that they would have to come in from the ceiling below to work on the pipe &...

Commercial oil-based v.s artist's oil paint [ 1 Answers ]

I am painting on interior brick, already painted with oil-base commercial and wish to use commercial oil-base paint because I think it is more durable than artist's paints, i.e. dusted, perhaps even washed. Is there something I can use to thicken it, thus allowing it to work more like artist's...

Continuously bleeding one radiator... [ 2 Answers ]

Happy christmas and a bloody good year to you all ;) I changed to all new rads, installed a few more, changed hot water cylinder, a new pump and some pipework a couple of years ago all worked well. Then last summer I put a rad in the bathroom and the pipework is complicated. It works well but is...

View more questions Search