Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 11:43 AM
    Connect Digital Box to Cable?
    A customer had a cleaning person pull out TV, but forgot to disconnect the Coax and ripped out the F Fitting from the back of the TV, Figured I would get them a Digital Converter and use The Composite into TV, since F is broke off.
    However it doesn't work.
    Do Cable companies encrypt all their channels, or am I missing something.
    I bought a Nhens DTX 9950 from Radio Shack and their support has not helped, Their address is:
    http://www.dsconverter.com/
    The manual:
    http://www.dsconverter.com/img/DTX9950_Manual_V1.4.pdf
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 11:52 AM

Kiss, I noticed in another post, you mentioned the Government supplied Converters don't work with Cable?
    Does that apply to most/all aftermarket Digital Converters?
    Thanks
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 01:06 PM

You should have at least been able to get to the set-up screen.

An RF modulator would probably work for you. RF Modulator - RadioShack.com

This would convert audio video to composite NTSC video (the old standard cha3 or 4)

Cable typically uses the QAM schem for HD TV.

QAM (television) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You would need a tuner box such as this one to receive non-encrypted digital cable: ePVision.com ? PHD-101 ATSC/QAM Tuner Receiver Box

This does not have an NTSC mode, but that can be had too.

The converter boxes are mandated not to have certain features. They usually convert ATSC to ch3 or 4 and/or composite video with audio only.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2010, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    You should have at least been able to get to the set-up screen.

An RF modulator would probably work for you. RF Modulator - RadioShack.com

This would convert audio video to composite NTSC video (the old standard cha3 or 4)

This is true, it would do that. But it sounds like the OP is not trying to give the TV A/V connections, but actually the opposite.

Essentially, what you will need is a cable box or an NTSC tuner (which is what is built into the TV, but cannot be used since the RF connection was ripped out). So you had the right idea to try a converter box. Except that a converter box is an ATSC tuner and basic cable channels are on NTSC.

As mentioned, if you want to pick up unscrambled digital channels (which typically includes the local HD channels), you will need a QAM tuner.

So an effective thing to try would be to look for a cheap NTSC tuner, or simply use a DVD recorder (or VCR). Just make sure the DVD recorder has a tuner as many made do not even include the NTSC tuner.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 04:15 PM

The OP wants to use the video in. A cheap RF modulator will do that (convert RF to composite video). Unfortunately, many come without cables.

I added the option of a QAM tuner for the possibility of getting more unscrambled channels.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 04:36 PM

This tuner had composite out, and menu shows on the TV, it just didn't work due to not ATSC/Qam.
    Uber Member

Feb 5, 2010, 05:07 PM

I have about 8 of the same tuner. It has ATSC in and video and NTSC RF out.

It just so happens, that ATSC is for over the air signals.
    QAM is for digital HD signals.

I'm not 100% positive what the cable companies are doing. Recent TV's had a cable mode. I think it was called HRC.

They could be provisioning the system as part HRC and part QAM. HRC, I think shifts channel 14 to a lower frequency rather than in the UHF band. HRC was the same modulation as NTSC, it just shifted the frequencies.

A QAM tuner can eliminate the cable box for DIGITAL signals as long as there are no scrambled stations.

I'm waiting for the weather to get better so I can get the antenna back on the roof.

If the box is cheap enough, I might be willing to buy it from you, but then again you can hopefully return it.
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 06:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KeepItSimpleStupid View Post
    The OP wants to use the video in. A cheap RF modulator will do that (convert RF to composite video). Unfortunately, many come without cables..
    It won't tune channels. If he switches his TV to Video 1 for example, and just has basic cable (no cable box). How is he going to change channels without an NTSC tuner to pick up the analog cable channels? I've never seen a TV be able to use it's internal tuner over a composite video connection.

It was my understanding that the OP wanted to get basic cable to a TV that no longer has a cable connection, but only has composite video connections. Hence the attempt of using a digital converter. A simple RF will not accomplish this. It's got to be a tuner.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 07:10 AM

Looks like the Tuner is between $100-$150, I have also been trying to find maybe a tuner board or minimum components to restore to Original.
    The TV is a Philips and Model # is 42FPL5432D/37. I use to repair the old CRT's, but seem to have to worse time finding Manuals or Parts, In the Old Days we had SAMS(Howard) Manuals and were easily obtained.
    Any one know where to get Parts for this TV.
    Hey Kiss, Sorry, returned it yesterday. Thanks again Take Care.
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 08:51 AM

Here is the major parts supplier. Your model isn't listed using the "Guest login" which is just under the username/password".

You can still call them.

Yep, parts are non-standard and have a very short life. Remember SAMS well. The last TV schematic I bought from encompass came in a box about 8.5 x 11 x 5" and it was full.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a digital cable box [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to figure out the cheapest way to get cable. I currently have an older TV that isn't digital ready so I only get a few channels that I am assuming are analog My roommate upstairs, I noticed, gets WAY more channels including cartoon network. He is using the same method I am (tv...

Can't connect digital optical audio cable [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I have just bought a 37" Panasonic Plasma TV with a home entertainment system also Panasonic that included the DVD player, two tall speakers and 4 extra speaker. I can get sound out of them while playing a DVD but not from just the TV. The guy in the shop said in order to listen to a...

TV, Sony DVD/VHS recorder, Scientific Atlanta Digital Cable Box Connections? [ 1 Answers ]

Could not find a catetgory for Audio / Visual Equipment... so my question is... for anyone reading this... I have a Toshiba (CRT) TV, a Scientfiic Atlanta cable box, and a new Sony RDR-VXD655 combination DVD/VHS recorder. I would like to simultaneously watch one program and record another......

Sony VCR Connect to Samsung LCD TV With Rogers Cable Box [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a 40" Samsung Full HD TV 1080 and would like to connect my Sony VCR SLV-N88 to this new Samsung HD TV via Rogers 4250 Cable Box using HDMI Cable. With my present 20" ordinary TV (Tube), I connected using coaxial cable from the cable outlet on the Wall to Rogers Cable Box using...

Connecting digital cable box to vcr/dvd player [ 1 Answers ]

I just upgraded to a digital cable box and now I can't record with my vcr. I have a vcr/dvd player combo. The cable company tells me that I can only record the station that I'm watching. Obviously, that defeats the purpose. So how do I connect these things so that I can be watching one station,...

View more questions Search