Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hurdont Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 03:34 PM
    Drilling holes
    I need to drill a4" vent hole for a water heater in side of my house to connect the venting. What is the best drill to use and any avice on problems imight run into?
    Zipper Posts: 116, Reputation: 8

Nov 22, 2006, 04:19 PM
    What is your house construction? Wood, brick, masonry?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 22, 2006, 04:25 PM
    The first thing you need to do is check if you need a spool to go through a wall. I don't think you just cut a hole and run a vent pipe through it, not even type ''B''. Check the directions that should have come with the heater. Otherwise use a hole saw. Also measure the pipe, and make sure it measures 4'' before buying one. A good 4'' one with a mandrel will run $20, maybe more depending how good. For a use once, maybe something cheap from someplace like Harbor Freight. Pipes and wires are common problems if you run into them with a hole saw. Study things first inside and out. Then start inside stopping as soon as you are through the drywall. Hole saws don't work well on fiberglass insulation. First check for hidden wires an pipes. Then cut the insulation away with a box cutter or scissors. Then go through the outside sheathing and siding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Oil Drilling in Alaska [ 18 Answers ]

What are the pros and cons of drilling oil in Alaska? Should we or shouldn't we?

Drilling holes in ceiling joist [ 5 Answers ]

I am drilling holes through a 2x6 ceiling joist. How many 12/2 wires can you run through a 7/8" hole? I am drilling the hole in the center of the 2x6 (width wise). Where is the best to drill the hole length wise? Thank you for your help.

Drilling floor joists [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a central vac center as an installer and my boss says it is OK to drill 2 1/4 in holes in joists vertically and horizontally. He also tells me to drill in any board, laminated, tji, beams, anything. Is there codes for this?

Oil Drilling? A few questions? [ 1 Answers ]

My class is doing our own debate about drilling oil in antartica and we need statistics and facts to help our debate. I am on the team that is againts drilling and I'm curious how drilling pil would affect animals. Can someone tell me?:)

Drilling holes in mirror [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I've never drilled a mirror before and I need a little help, I'm mounting two wall sconces over a bathroom vanity and need two small mounting screw holes and a small hole to accommodate the wiring for each sconce. A 4' by 5' mirror is on the wall it sits in a bottom channel and is held in...

View more questions Search