Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pn1961 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 04:46 PM
    Deep cut on thumb
    I cut my thumb across the top pretty deeply (slipped with a box knife). Stopped bleeding after about 24 hours but now skin over knuckle has no feeling at all and rest of thumb tingles. Also hurts when I bend it but I assume that is the skin just stretching. Is this OK or have I done some nerve damage
    thisisit Posts: 406, Reputation: 57

Feb 4, 2010, 04:54 PM

It is impossible for anyone online to examine your thumb and diagnose whether you experienced nerve damage when you cut it. The symptoms you describe could mean nerve damage or it could signal an infection setting in. I hope you get a doctor to look at it soon.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 04:56 PM

Depending how far up you might lose that portion you cut. Normally it should have been isolated and not moved at all through use of a splint and protection. Also the tingling could be a sign of infection. You really need to let a doctor see it to make sure.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 05:52 PM

Go to the doctor. If it bled for 24 hours, it was a deep, serious, cut.

Don't take any chances with your health like this.

You will not get the proper answer here. No one can see the wound but you. Go.
    Aussie_Bob Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2010, 08:06 PM
    I too have just sliced the tip of my thumb clean off with a folding picket knife, funnely enough while sharpening it. ( I guess its sharp enough ) I've taken about 5mm off the outer corner of the thumb tip, going threw the nail and all like it wasn't even there the fact that it was done with a sharp blade is an advantage. I've been a mamber of the emergency services were I live for over 10 years and have done many advanced first aid couses. Regardless of this face I still wouldn't take the chance, a fingure you can do without a fingure, but a thumb lost to infection and you will be asking your friends to open your beer bottles for the rest of your life. Have a think about that fact and all the other things you need your thumb for, and ask yourself is it really worth it for a trip to a doctor? If he says all good then at least you know, and if not he will be able to treat it before it gets too bad.

Aussie Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I cut my thumb nail [ 5 Answers ]

Tonight while making dinner, I cut my thumb nail with my knife. It's not horrible, but it's not something to celebrate either because it's in a painful place. The knife cut through half the width of my fingernail. It's about a centimeter down from the top of the nail. It's not particularly deep,...

Deep finger cut! [ 19 Answers ]

I just cutmy index finder vy accident with a broken "coca cola" cup. The cut is 3/4 of an inch in length and runnsquite deep. Nearly bone deep. I can ,move the finger quite easily and painlessly. Ihave bandaged with gause(tightly) and am holding the hand above my head does this cut warrant...

Deep cut [ 1 Answers ]

I cut myself on my hand at work, it is a small, clean, but rather deep cut. I cleaned it, put pressure on it, and put some antibacterial on it, then wrapped in a band aid because I had to be at work the rest of the day. It has been quite a few hours since then, but it is still bleeding. But now I...

Deep cut [ 1 Answers ]

One week ago I cut the crap out of my index finger,had 2 get stitches,7 days past then I took out the stitches,I think that I should have waited longer to take them out, now I have almost a sharp throbbing pain should I go back 2 th er?

View more questions Search