Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    O_Troubles Posts: 313, Reputation: 20

Feb 4, 2010, 11:02 AM
    Dog ID Tags
    When I got my dog my local shelter gave me 3 dog tags. A blue flower looking one for rabies a round silver one and then a even smaller round metal one. I lost both of the silver ones and I'm trying to remember what they were so I can re purchase them. Does anyone know what they might be? I live in wpg, mb
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 11:15 AM

Typically, the shelter will give the new owner a "please contact the shelter if this dog is lost" id tag... If the shelter is a good shelter, that tag will have a file attached to it with your information and the dogs medical work that they did for you. To be honest. I wouldn't really worry about it. You want the dog coming back to you, not the shelter again. I don't have good experiences with shelters, I know there are good ones out there... but sometimes the dogs don't make it back to their owners. But I would suggest you get your dog microchipped. You can put all the needed information on that chip and the dog will come back to you whether the dog still has a collar on. Micro Chips are about $50 bucks to put in. If you keep an eye open for clinics, you can get them even cheaper... The micro chip has saved a lot of dogs from being lost.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by O_Troubles View Post
    when i got my dog my local shelter gave me 3 dog tags. a blue flower looking one for rabies a round silver one and then a even smaller round metal one. i lost both of the silver ones and im trying to remember what they were so i can re purchase them. Does anyone know what they might be? i live in wpg, mb
    I would suggest asking the shelter because local laws can vary as to what information the dog needs. One could have been the dog's license.

I looked up the Winnipeg website and found this: Winnipeg.ca - UD -Community Services Department

I don't know if it will help answer all of your questions.

Edit to add: The FAQs have some interesting information if you adopted from them, the animal should be micro chipped already. http://winnipeg.ca/cms/animal/faqs/adoption_faq.stm#2
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 01:05 PM

I know in Winnipeg, because I used to live there :)
    That if you loose the tag, you can either go to the vet that issued them and have them replaced, or through the shelter for a small cost.
    You don't really need the rabis one unles you are leaving the country.
    I am apusher for the micro chip as well, but most shelters use micro chipping. Was the larger silver one anything to do with registering you dog with the city? I know my dog gets 3, one for Rabies, one for being registered, and one showing up to date on all other vaccines.

Feb 4, 2010, 03:06 PM
    Ahh OK because I have the rabies and I'm getting the city one replaced I just wasn't sure on the last tag but maybe it is for shots ill ask my vet if they know where I can replace that one. Thanks

p.s. I'm already microchiped and the shelter here is amazing!
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 03:22 PM
    ahh ok because i have the rabies and im getting the city one replaced i just wasnt sure on the last tag but maybe it is for shots ill ask my vet if they know where i can replace that one. thx

p.s. im already microchiped and the shelter here is amazing!
    From what I was looking at on-line, I fully agree. If they are like that in reality, that's great.
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 04:41 PM

They are :)
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2010, 04:47 PM

p.s. im already microchiped and the shelter here is amazing!
    How much does microchipping on a human hurt?

Sorry couldn't help myself :D
    Dogs Expert

Feb 4, 2010, 05:07 PM

Hahahahaha oh Goodness.

Feb 6, 2010, 08:53 PM

Lol thanks guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Another? That tags along with. [ 26 Answers ]

This is a tag along question to a thread that is current running.. "Qualifications To Post on Christianity Board" Why do Non Christians come on and post in a clearly Christian based discussion?

Skin tags [ 5 Answers ]

I hate this things I have some on my armpits and tiny ones on my face. How can I get rid of these without going to the doctor?:(

Adding anchor tags [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am having trouble adding an anchor tag I want to add an anchor tag from a word (read)on page one that takes you to page two. I then want to link from a, back button, on page two, back to the word (read) on page one. It is driving me crazy. I am using Dreamweaver MX Any help would...

Tags for pack [ 2 Answers ]

I finally purchased a back pack for Rex, this week while we were in windsor. But here's the thing, he doesn't have a collar, all his tags are on his harness, and he can't have his harness on if he has his pack on. So I found a great tag online, I'm going to get it laminated and I will then sew it...

Skin Tags? [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone could help me w/ this problem or not. Okay should my hubby be concerned that he has a skin tag on his penis and is there any thing that needs to be done about it. Should he be worried or what?:confused:

View more questions Search