Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    raili Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2010, 06:03 AM
    What could cause a high pitched whine in the house that comes and goes?
    There is a high pitched whine in the house which comes and goes. It sounds "electrical". We have tried locating it by turning off and on circuits but to no avail. Any ideas?
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 06:37 AM

Any idea what room it comes from? If so, what's in that room?

Feb 4, 2010, 09:02 AM

It appears in many rooms. Seems to start up especially at night. Sounds like one of those old tvs dying
    FadedMaster Posts: 1,510, Reputation: 148
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:20 PM

So it's in multiple rooms, and cutting off the electricity does not yield any results. So you can safely assume that anything that plugs in for power is not the culprit.

It could be someone in the house owns a cellphone with one of those mosquito ring tones that emits a high pitched ringer that only some people are able to hear.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 4, 2010, 02:55 PM

This may be way off the wall in your case but it does happen.

When a water heater has the gas connector that looks like an accordion
    Bevels look to it, meaning that it is all wrinkled, it can cause a noise when the burner is burning.

This can also happen when the same type gas connector is used on a furnace. If the connector is smaller that it is suppose to be. It causes a very high pitch squeel and if your furnace happened to be in the attic this could be why you are hearing it throughout the house.

Please let me know what you find.
    DanielF Posts: 158, Reputation: 14

Feb 4, 2010, 10:40 PM
    I'd like more information about the 'coming and going'...

Does it start and stop suddenly or gradually? Does it last a long time (tens of minutes each time) or a short time (less than one minute)? How often each day?

In Australia, some electrical authorities use control tones (below and above 1kHz) superimposed on the mains voltage to control switching of 'off-peak' facilities (things like water heaters, that have a cheaper rate because they use electricity during off-peak times). These tones have been known to become audible, either through other electronic equipment (particularly audio equipment) or through fluorescent ballast and the like.

Daniel

Feb 5, 2010, 02:37 PM
    It often builds gradually - especially at night for some reason. We've had all the voltages on each circuit checked by an electrian. We heard the sound outside our house this morning and wonder if it could be an Nstart issue or rcn cable issue. It sounds like an old TV dying. We have also heard a buzzing sound from our gas furnace even when its off - could this be related? We have listened for the whining sound from our furnace but have not heard it with our ear pressed up against it.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2010, 07:33 AM

Have you tried shutting off all power to house, maybe even turn off water main?
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 6, 2010, 02:19 PM

The buzzing sound that you hear from the furnace when it is off probably has nothing to do with the other noise you hear. The buzzing is a transformer hum and if it bothers you sometime you can move the transformer or put a wedge under it and stop that buzz.
    michelle555us Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 03:49 PM
    Did you ever figure it out... because I'm going crazy here!
    michelle555us Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2011, 04:02 PM
    Found it... mine was a toy... it sounded like it was coming from the ceiling.. but no it was a toy!
    Kare7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2013, 11:34 AM
    I'm having the same problem...
    Did you find out what it was?
    Its driving me crazy...
    My builder is doing his best to locate the problem...
    kskelly8rb Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2013, 03:29 PM
    I am hearing a high pitched noise only in the master bedroom of my house. It started about a month ago. I have shut off the main power breaker... the noise is still there. I have switched off the individual electronics and unplugged power strips in the room... nothing works. I took a vacuum hose and listened to each electronic device... each wall, and have done everything I know to find out where it's coming from, but to no avail. Is there a device I can buy to find the noise that is affordable. I don't want to pay an electrician to find "nothing"... just can't afford it.
    Can anyone help?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2013, 04:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kskelly8rb View Post
    I am hearing a high pitched noise only in the master bedroom of my house. It started about a month ago. I have shut off the main power breaker....the noise is still there. I have switched off the individual electronics and unplugged power strips in the room....nothing works. I took a vaccum hose and listened to each electronic device...each wall, and have done everything I know to find out where it's coming from, but to no avail. Is there a device I can buy to find the noise that is affordable. I don't want to pay an electrician to find "nothing"...just can't afford it.
    Can anyone help?
    If you shut off the main breaker and still hear the sound, why hire sn electrician. Turn off the water at the meter and see if it goes away.
    Uber Member

Feb 26, 2013, 04:43 PM
    Try with the water shut off?
    RBJHere Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2013, 05:35 PM
    I'm also going crazy! My husband can't hear the hum at all but it's all I hear in this house. We had a very elderly T.V. and I've been thinking it was the cause. My daughter noticed it too whenever she was at home, so it isn't only me! We replaced it two weeks ago and since then the ear-piercing squeal is worse. Perhaps the old T.V. masked the noise. It seems to be more pronounced in one room, but after awhile my ears ring wherever I am, so I have a hard time being able to determine if there's any improvement when we've experiments with unplugging things and even turning off all the power in the house. Out of the house, my ears eventually return to normal. This is terrible!!
    Uber Member

May 5, 2013, 07:32 AM
    Some electronics that have back up batteries can make noise(smoke detectors, alarm systems)
    Faulty bearings can make a high frequency whine.
    Solar Panel water heater on the roof?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman tractor has high pitched whine [ 3 Answers ]

I have a craftsman lt1000. Recently while operating it, it sputtered then shut off. I had checked the oil prior to turning on the tractor. After it stalled there didn't seem to be any oil in the motor and after about 10 min later gas started coming out of the breather. I have replaced the...

Ford Ranger noise .high pitched whine/hum [ 10 Answers ]

Just bought my first Ranger today. A 2006 2WD XLT Automatic 5-speed with overdrive and cruise control. Has under 19 K miles. Looks spanking brand new; not a scratch or dent and beautifully detailed. However... ( ! ), I notice a high pitched whine or hum at hiway speed (well, above 30 mph) which...

High Pitched Whine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very perculiar problem with a computer I gave to a customer. It makes a very high pitched whining noise. It's not very loud, just loud enough to get hella annoying after a half an hour or so. I discovered that by unplugging the sound jack for the internal speakers from the back the...

High pitch whine in my TV [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 52" RCA rear projection TV. It is now a year old. Last week it started a high pitch whining noise when I would turn it on... but not last but a few minutes. Today I turned it on and it has been whining that high pitch sound for 5 hours... I can't stand the sound... any ideas of what it...

View more questions Search