Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TheJohnDoe Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
    Late 80's early 90's graphic anime movie
    Hello,

For the longest time I've been pondering images from this anime movie, wondering what the movie was called. The setting for this movie is fantasy with elves, goblins, weird human like creatures, and mythical landscapes. Graphic imagery, especially from the scenes I remember, are used throughout the movie. I will try to describe the scenes I remember.

- A battle torn landscape littered with craters and blasted dirt. Small, elf/hobbit like humans are crossing this terrain with a weary look amongst them. They are fighting an evil, goblin like foe. All of a sudden the sky is lit with World War II footage depicting the horrors of that war. The elf/hobbits are stunned as they gaze up at the sky, unaware of the encroaching enemy. Caught off guard, numerous elf/hobbits are slaughtered by the goblin like foe with various sized blades.

- A lush, green alien landscape with vibrant colors, large blue skies, rolling clouds, and weird fruit bushes abound. These bushes grow a red, pomegranate like fruit. Blue humanoids with odd faces, bald heads, naked bodies, well toned. These humanoids are lounging about the fertile landscape on rocks, one with nature, as they enjoy the fruit around them. The scene then turns to horror. A view from inside an enormous underground chasm as it is slowly filled with the bodies of the blue humanoids. Piled hundreds of feet high, one by one the bodies are seen falling from a hole in the earth above, sunlight shinning down as the gigantic pile fades into the dark cave below.

If memory serves me right, the cover for this movie was all white with an ugly, goblin like creature, holding a javelin, mounted on a ostrage like creature, prepared for battle.

Thanks to anyone who can help me remember this movie! :):D
    dias06 Posts: 110, Reputation: 26

Feb 4, 2010, 10:30 AM

"Wizards" maybe? I haven't watched the movie but I do know the cover and the animal he is riding does look like an ostrich.

Feb 4, 2010, 01:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by dias06 View Post
    "Wizards" maybe? I haven't watched the movie but I do know the cover and the animal he is riding does look like an ostrich.
    Yes you are correct! Phenomenal.

Wizards, such a simple name to forget.

My apologizes, I guess it wasn't an anime. Thanks again!

Feb 5, 2010, 01:24 AM

Hmm, after watching this movie I realized that it matched up with my first description but did not with my second. The weird blue humanoids were drawn in a different manner, a different style, shockingly realistic, flowing and graceful, like a painting come to life.

Clearly my memories have become amalgamated over time. These two memories are from different movies. Half the puzzle is solved but it still begs the question.

Again, all I can remember of the blue humanoids is that they are first portrayed as living in harmony with nature only to fall victim of a holocaust. The first scene was that of green rolling hills painted over blue skies and puffy clouds with blue, statuesque humanoids munching on freshly picked red fruit from the bushes that dotted the landscape. In the next scene the very depths of the alien planet are being stuffed with the mangled bodies of these innocent beings. All of which I seem to remember being shown in a few minutes. I am unsure as to what the plot may have been or how long the film was.

=\
    dias06 Posts: 110, Reputation: 26

Feb 8, 2010, 10:59 AM

Fantastic Planet >> just a guess, I don't think this is it, I'll keep looking?

Feb 8, 2010, 06:13 PM

I came across Fantastic Planet too in a list on Wikipedia. After watching it on YouTube it was immediately apparent that it wasn't the movie, although I enjoyed it thoroughly. The pencil like drawing style seemed to fit my memory but the movie I remember was far more refined in detail. All human features were distinct, especially musculature, shockingly lifelike, which is probably why it made such an impression on me. The movements of the characters were quite fluid as well. The landscape was equally as detailed. The artist was extremely gifted in being able to portray human physiology in his work.

Thanks so much for you hard work dias06. You're true credit to this site. =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for the title of an anime movie from the late 90's early 2000's [ 1 Answers ]

Okay, I don't remember the title, but I think I watched it when I was young in the late 90's early 2000's. All I really remember about the movie, is it's anime and there is this family that moves into a new house, (I think because the mother is in the hospital?) And the youngest of the two...

Anime movie from the 80's early 90's [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I am trying to find this movie , I saw it years ago around the early 90's . I remember it was some apocalyptic future in some city . There is a main character who I think rode around on a dirt bike. Another scene there is a body in a long corridor which is badly disfigured looking like the...

Late 80's or early 90's movie [ 1 Answers ]

All I can remember is a man that was a cartoonist has his drawings or stories come to life.There's a woman from one of his drawing's/comics or whatever that comes to life and they both try to escape the bad guys or are trying to find a way for the girl to get back to her world.There was a scene...

Movie late 80's or early 90's [ 2 Answers ]

I don't remember much about it just that there's two kid one is white the other one is black and one of the is looking for his dad. In one scene the kids steal or drive a car. I think the black kids dad works like in a factory or something like that.

A movie from late 80's early 90's [ 1 Answers ]

It had a girl who had a massive bell drop on her one night and she disappeared. Years later at an old house a family comes to stay. While in the house, the young family girl's mirrors keep breaking. There's a creepy old woman there who talks to the mirror and watches the young family girl......

View more questions Search