Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roshnai123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 06:56 PM
    How to know if pain due to old or new fracture
    I had a car accident a little more than 2 months back.
    I had an L2 compression fracture in one vertebra in my lower back.
    I saw an orthopaedic who gave me general pain medication and asked me to carry on the normal activities as usual. He DID not suggest bed rest.
    I recovered quite well.
    Just about a week back, a got a bad jolt in the car I was travelling.

I did not feel any specific pain at that time.
    However, after that I have started feeling a nagging, itchy pain almost in the same area as I had my fracture before.
    My orthopaedic again gave me some pain medication and asked me to join physiotherapy.

My question is why this sudden pain out of the blue? Would I be hurting myself if I go for Physiotherapy? Have I sustained a new fracture? Would the orthopaedic get to know if my fracture is the old one from the X-Ray? PS: He never consulted the old X-Ray report this time.
    drkpp Posts: 670, Reputation: 21

Feb 20, 2010, 02:47 AM

Generally speaking, absolute bed rest of 6 weeks or more is required fro compression fractures of vertebra where there is no neurodeficit i.e. no weakness in the limbs along with analgesics & anti-inflammatory medications. A review is suggested after 6 weeks or earlier if necessary. If the pain has completely subsided, the patient is advised physiotherapy to reduce the muscle stiffness which a result of clotted blood & prolonged bed rest. If the pain is present to any degree, the rest is extended for 2 weeks more & a repeat x ray is done to confirm fracture healing followed by physiotherapy.
    If there is a repeat injury to back, it is best to x ray the part & decide the treatment accordingly.
    pmera Posts: 34, Reputation: 3

Apr 10, 2010, 04:03 PM

It sounds like the compression on a nerve which is the ichy pain, and which is why you were sent to physio - and perhaps consider chiropractic care - to reduce the tension and tightness and take pressure off the nerve. Wher there was an already existing injury in recovery it is normal that your muscles in a sudden jolt would tighten and not let go around the injury inorder to protect your spine. Your body is programmed to surviive :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ear pain due to getting slap [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all I got slapped very hard and it was effected my inside ear now it is paining from three days. My question is here 1. Is that pain leads to clotting the blood, if that passes to brain what happens or 2. Is it cures by itself 3. what precaution I can take. Its urgent give me...

Knee/Foot Pain due to possible old fracture? [ 1 Answers ]

I'll have to do a bit of exposition before I get to the current problem. One time, whilst I was working in a bar, we finished our shift and began drinking (as was usual on a Saturday night/morning). Now, when I was quite tipsy, I jumped over the bar and landed on my right leg, hearing a loud...

View more questions Search