Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maccad Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2006, 07:33 AM
    Basin trap
    I need to know what is the difference between a P-trap which has a U shape with a horizontal pipe and the bottle trap which consists of a horizontal & a vertical tube with a removable cup at the bottom. What's the use of each one?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 22, 2006, 08:13 AM
    A "P" trap,(see image) is a device that maintains a 3" deep layer of water in the pipe to serve as a seal to prevent sewer gasses from coming up the drain into the structure. The codes require all fixtures to be equipped with a trap, but in the case of a bathroom lavatory either a P-trap or a Bottle Trap,(see image) can be used interchangeably, depending upon what you desire.
    A common trap uses an inverted U shape section to hold the water. A barrel trap or bottle trap is a round container with a standpipe up the center similar to the standpipe in the toilet tank. The drain water enters the trap near the bottom of the Bottle, as it enters the outer chamber the level in the chamber rises and it then spills over the inner standpipe and on down the drain line.
    Bottle traps are used where the trap's exposed and a decorative trap is desired. Is this what you wanted to know? Regards, Tom

Nov 23, 2006, 01:33 AM
    Dear Tom

Thank you so much for your reply. Now I got a full image about this issue. So, a bottle trap cannot afford the advantage of keeping the sewer gases from coming back into the drainage system, right?

Also I need to know what does it mean an anti-syphon trap .

Thank you so much
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2006, 05:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by maccad
    Dear Tom

Thank you so much for your reply. Now I got a full image about this issue. So, a bottle trap cannot afford the advantage of keeping the sewer gases from coming back into the drainage system, right?

Also I need to know what does it mean an anti-syphon trap .

Thank you so much
    Both bottle and "P" traps will prvent sewer gas from escaping. While a "S" trap, being a unvented trap, will allow the trap seal to be siphoned off, Bottle and "P" traps being vented will not. Hence, "anti-syphon trap".
    Happy thanksgiving day, Tom

Nov 23, 2006, 05:53 AM
    Dear Tom

Happy thanksgiving to you too my friend.

Now I understand the term antisyphon so well. But what still confuses me is how a bottle trap keeps the gases from flowing back. The water remains at the bottom of thet cup part, so gases can freely come back from drainage into the system.

And what do you mean by vented? How are the bottle and P-trap vented? Do you mean the air vent that exist in the drainage system?

Best Regards
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 23, 2006, 09:44 AM
    "But what still confuses me is how a bottle trap keeps the gases from flowing back."
    Let me try to explain it better and this time I'll attempt to keep it simple. The discharge enters the bottle trap through a stand pipe that reaches under the weir, (bottom) of the pipe going into the wall. The bottle fills up and drains into the wall pipe. When the discharge stops the liquid left in the bottle stays there until the fixture's drained again. The stand pipe that extends below the liquid left in the bottle prevents any sewer gas from entering the lavatory and the trap's sealed.

"And what do you mean by vented? how are the bottle and P-trap vented? Do you mean the air vent that exist in the drainage system?"

The pipe in the wall drains into a drainage tee. The bottom half of the tee directs the flow downward into the sewer main while the top part connects to a pipe that runs up through the roof and vents the system. Did that clear things up a bit? Happy Turkey day, Tom

Nov 26, 2006, 06:33 AM
    Thank you so much for your help. I got it all now :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

P-trap GAP - p-trap too low to meet sink drain extension [ 13 Answers ]

I just took an old crane drexel sink off the wall and replaced it for the time being ( I want to fix the older sink) with a cheap vanity/sink set. All that was easy enough, but now to my chagrin I can't finish the job. The p trap is too low, the extension pipe from the sink doesn't go all...

Sepage into ejector basin [ 4 Answers ]

Need advice/ideas on stopping seepage into ejector basin. Bi-level house, crawl space was dug out to make a basement, and contractor installed a poly basin & ejector pump for the laundry tub. He also ran the floor drain into this basin using PVC. When they cut the hole in the side of the basin...

Basin wrench [ 6 Answers ]

I know this is a stupid question, but how do you use a basin wrench? I had the hardest time getting my spray hose undetached from under my kitchen sink. I have a basin wrench, it just didn't work for me. What am I doing wrong? [email protected]

Shower basin removal [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to remove a shower basin from my basement. It is set on concrete. The basin is fiberglass. The pipe coming from the floor is iron (rusty too). How is the basin attached to the pipe? Adhesive? Is something screwed down? Help? Thanks. Christina

Making a shower basin [ 1 Answers ]

We are remoldeling a 1/2 bath, and have removed the old 32' x 32" shower. The drain is 16" centered from each corner. We want to expand the shower to about 34" x 48", making it a ceramic interier. My question is how do I make a new shower basin? The drain, I believe, is cast iron, in a concrete...

View more questions Search