Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    feubanks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 09:35 AM
    How Much Can I Make without Paying Income Taxes
    I have hired a new babysitter, who is concerned about having to file income taxes. What would be the maximum income she could make in 2010 without having to file taxes?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 11:36 AM

Assuming this baby sitter is a dependent of her parents, she has to file federal income tax if her earned income is over $5700. This assumes that her unearned income (from bank accounts or other investments) is less than $300.

But you should know that if you pay her more than $1700 for the year that you are responsible for withholding income tax and FICA. Here's an article that explains it:
    The Nanny Tax at SmartMoney.com
    And from the IRS:
    Publication 926 (2010), Household Employer's Tax Guide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much income can I make on disabilty without paying taxes? [ 5 Answers ]

I make $720.00 a mo. On my disablity. How much can i make a month without paying taxes.i only work about10 hrs a week and sometimes make $100 t0 400 a week.

How Much Can I Make without Paying Income Taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I get $348.00 pension from my late husband. I get this amt in one year. I am on SSI for the rest of my income. Do I need to file taxes on this money?

Paying taxes on 1099 income [ 3 Answers ]

I have a regular, full-time salaried position, but just started a business as an independent contractor (1099). I am about to receive my first commission earning and realize that I will need to file taxes. How much can I expect to pay in taxes (percentage)? Is it based on how much I make a year...

View more questions Search