Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    helpplease515 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 08:04 AM
    Got caught shoplifting a Walmart. No police were called. What will happen?
    Hello and thank you for helping me. I am so scarred right no and any advice would be awesome. I am 17 years old and have been caught shoplifting at Walmart. The cosmetics I took would have come out to be about $40. I was taken to the back office and they took down my information such as name, address, what I looked like. The police was not called, but they told me I would receive a summon in the mail. How long will it take for me to get it? Is this the same as a civil demand? Will I still have to go to court? If so, what am looking at for punisment? I am so sorry for what I did. This is a first and LAST time thing for me. I am a good student and usually not this kind of person. Please just help me.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Feb 3, 2010, 08:52 AM

If you receive a summons in the mail it may be for petty theft. As the value of what you took wasn't over $100. You will have a court date. And you will enter a plea. What your looking at for punishment depends on where you live and the mood of the judge. Just be honest in court.
    chicachicaboom Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2010, 03:22 AM
    Hey. I'm seventeen as well and the same thing happened to me the day before yesterday. I got caught stealing about $40 worth of from a shop and they took down my information and took a close up picture of me. They said they had called the police and made me wait in the back room of the store for two hours until the police got there. The police, however, didn't seem to think it was an emergency, and didn't show up for so long that they just let me go. However, they made me sign a trespass thing, so if I go into that mall again within the next two years I will be fined heavily and possibly arrested. I was so scared as well, it's really a traumatizing thing. I'm so lucky that the police were busy...
    Listen. I don't think they are going to send you to court, especially since the police were not called. They just want to scare you out of doing it again. I completely understand your situation, believe me. Just try to relax. What you did was not a horrible crime, you didn't kill someone, you didn't hurt anyone, you know? It will be completely fine either way. The worst that will happen is that you will have to pay a fine. Nothing will go on your record because it's under $50 and you are a minor. Don't worry.
    lnhv1990 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2011, 04:20 PM
    I have the same problem like you, chicachicaboom. They called police but police did not come so they let me go. I signed a paper but I did not read it because I was so scare. Until now I do not know what is that paper for? After that around 2 weeks, I got an email ask me for the fine is $200. I paid it. The thing different with you is the stuff I stole was around $150 worth.
    I know I was lucky that the police did not come. Do you think they will call me in the future? Is that affect me when I apply for a job in future? I was caught at Walmart. I will not apply job at Walmart but can I apply for some corporation as HEB, CVS... they are big corporations as Walmart.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Caught shoplifting [ 7 Answers ]

Advice needed me and wife caught shoplifting at a Retail store a month back LP took us to office and called police over the phone for record it was clean, they said we will be released after paperwork stuff was valued around $25 no police came on scene given a ban of 6 months from store also...

Caught shoplifting at walmart [ 5 Answers ]

I was caught shoplifting at Wal-Mart and although no charges were filed,they told me I was banned for life from wal-mart , sam's club and so forth.I am not stupid enough to go back into the same wal-mart,however,if I pay cash how can they monitor whether I shop in another walmart?

Caught shoplifting - what will happen? [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently caught shoplifting. The store said they would "privately press charges" and that I would get things in the mail. What exactly does privately pressing charges means - and what should I expect? What are the chances that they will go through will the charges? There was a police officer...

Shoplifting at Walmart [ 17 Answers ]

I am a 20 male, part-time employed, college student. I got caught stealing from Walmart. I say that without having any feeling of shame or regret, because of my own views of the corporate world. But that's beside the point. The total dollar amount of the stuff I got caught stealing was around 20...

After Being Caught Shoplifting [ 4 Answers ]

Im 17 yrs old, and my sister is 12. We live in Queen Anne's County, which is located in Maryland. We were caught shoplifting in our local Kmart, and they had said that they saw me blocking my younger sister while she unwrapped everything and put it into her purse, it was true, and we admitted to it...

View more questions Search