Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teastalk Posts: 299, Reputation: 21

Jan 8, 2010, 02:07 AM
    Would your boyfriend posting a birthday message to his ex bother you?
    Threads merged

My boyfriend tells me that he doesn't have any feelings for his ex anymore, but her birthday was the same month as mine and he wished her a happy birthday on FB a week late. Now, I feel I shouldn't be getting petty because he did throw me a birthday party. However, he did not wish me a happy birthday on FB, and when I casually mentioned that I had seen that he'd posted a message to her on FB, he said that he just wanted to regain a friendship with her, and that he had seen everyone else posting happy birthday to her, so he did to. BUT, I do not believe FB posts messages that others have posted A WEEK later. I dropped the topic, because I don't believe in fighting. It just bothers me a bit because he has in the past said that he believed that she was the one that he was going to marry.

... Would this situation bother you?
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teastalk View Post
    My boyfriend tells me that he doesn't have any feelings for his ex anymore, but her birthday was the same month as mine and he wished her a happy birthday on FB a week late. Now, I feel I shouldn't be getting petty because he did throw me a birthday party.
    So he threw you a party and told his ex happy birthday on Facebook a week late...

However, he did not wish me a happy birthday on FB,
    Is this... what is this... "he didn't wish me a happy birthday on FB" [said in whiny voice]. Maybe because he was too busy throwing you a party.

Holy cripes. Facebook, in my opinion, is the most annoying thing in the world. It's become that if you don't comment at a certain thing, if you don't comment a certain way people get insulted.

This is ridiculous. He is with you does he REALLY need to type in "happy bday" to you on fb? I'm sure you posted photos of the party he threw you on facebook-- isn't that just as good? If not better?

It just bothers me a bit because he has in the past said that he believed that she was the one that he was going to marry.

... Would this situation bother you?
    Well obviously he is not going to marry her with you being his girlfriend. He's probably thinking that about you! Cripes, didn't you have a boyfriend prior to him that you thought "hey I love him, I hope we get married one day". Don't be silly now these thoughts are natural and are inclined to happen during a relationship.

Would this situation bother me?

Well
    -Has he given you reason to not trust him? Has he cheated before?

If not then, no.

In fact, why don't you guys back off Facebook for a bit... go outside, hang out with friends, work harder in school or at work... just uh do something else.
    LJDK Posts: 281, Reputation: 25

Jan 8, 2010, 02:20 AM

Would the post on FB bother me? No.
    What would bother me is what he said.
    Did he say she is? Or she was? Is he still in love with her?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:32 AM
    Hi, teastalk!

Hey, I've been divorced from my ex-wife for about twenty-five years. She's remarried and I still send her birthday cards She is the mother our children though, so I suppose that might make a difference...

I just see no reason to hang on to grudges and be jealous. We only live once, so I figure that it's best to take advantage of ways of treating people nicely while we have the chance.

In the course of my life, I've had a lot of girlfriends. Are some of them still in love with me and me with them? Sure. Could I have married some of them? Yes. But, for one reason or another, things just didn't work out.

If I was in your situation, it wouldn't bother me. He did throw you a party, after all!

Thanks!
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:39 AM

If I was having a " I look great today "day,it wouldn't bother me .

If I woke up looking like the beast from the deep, it might give me pause.

If I thought that he still had the hots for her,I would be having a discussion about it and let him know what my concerns were and why.

Look inside and ask yourself what it really is that is bugging you about this.Understanding where it is coming from is half the battle to solving the issue.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post

If I thought that he still had the hots for her,I would be having a discussion about it and let him know what my concerns were and why.

Look inside and ask yourself what it really is that is bugging you about this.Understanding where it is coming from is half the battle to solving the issue.
    Excellent suggestions that are well worth heeding! :)

Jan 8, 2010, 02:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by artlady View Post
    If I was having a " I look great today "day,it wouldn't bother me .

If I woke up looking like the beast from the deep, it might give me pause.

I'm guessing that it might be because I didn't feel like I was important when I saw that he took the time to write something to her. I know that if I took the time to write a message to someone, that it would have taken me some time and effort. For example, I have a greater appreciation for birthday cards now. In the past I thought that it was silly. Now, I feel that if someone took the time to find a birthday card for me and to write in it, that it's really special. I really enjoy the birthday cards! But yes, the fact that he threw me a party certainly trumps the fact that he didn't give me a birthday message or card, so I shouldn't feel unimportant to him.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 07:30 AM

I still talk to most of my exes, my most recent one is just a FB friend. I comment on her "status" every now and again but I don't comment on my fiance's Facebook much. Why? Because I am with my fiancé, we live together, see each other all the time. Why should someone you are dating have to write happy birthday on your FB page? Is this what our world has been reduced too? Him organizing a birthday party, which from experience, takes weeks in prep time and getting the day right would overwhelming trump the fact that he said happy birthday a week LATE to an ex any day of the week. Unless of course it was, Happy Birthday, text me for your birthday sex, I miss you so much. But I doubt he said that.

Don't sweat the small stuff, and please do NOT take Facebook so darn seriously.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jan 8, 2010, 09:02 AM
    The others have already covered most of the points about Facebook, so I'm going to take a different angle.

I think another issue is the fact that he wants to be friends with his ex again. If you're so uncomfortable with the idea of him wanting to be friends with his ex again, then you should make your concerns clear to him.

It's his choice whether he still wants to be friends with his ex. It's your choice whether you want to accept and handle this friendship.

Jan 8, 2010, 01:05 PM

Okay, I also have another question. I'm sorry to say that it is related to FB again. I believe that the reason why I posted my first question was really because of this next described situation.

My boyfriend posted that Jessie is his favorite person. I know it makes me wonder: Who is Jessie? Why is Jessie his favorite? Why am I not his most favorite person in the world? What did Jessie do that qualifies for this kind of announcement? It makes me feel unimportant and extremely curious to know all of the above information.. . Why does this kind of announcement make me feel less important to him and what have they done to earn this kind of recognition?
    redhed35 Posts: 4,221, Reputation: 1910
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:11 PM
    I think the only person who can answer that is your boyfriend.

You're his girlfriend and you don't know who his favourite person is?

Not only that you don't even know who jesse is!

Face book is not doing your relatioship any favours.

My boyfriends favourite person is his dad,does not bother me in the least,he also has the hots for 'lady gaga' and that does not bother me either.

My point is,your boyfriend has a life outside the relationship,talks to other people,and has other kinds of relationships,you need to try and relax a little in the relationship.

You seem to be quite stressed.

Ask your boyfriend who jesse is,and lay off Facebook.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:28 PM

Wow, you seem very controlling and also very insecure. My fiancé is ONE of my favorite people, but not the only. PM me and I'll give you my e-mail so you can find me on Facebook. I post all sorts of junk and never do I get questioned about it. It's a stupid website and if you can't take it for what it's worth then maybe you shouldn't be on it.

But seriously, add me... I need more people for my Mafia on Mafia Wars. This is real life, I need to win fake crap!
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:43 PM

Facebook ruining perfectly fine relationships since 2007. That should be their new slogan.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:47 PM

It's like you guys just don't understand.

If your boyfriend doesn't wall post you stuff or make you his top friends on have you on his status it means that he doesn't love you.

When you love you make it public on Facebook. You can't possibly love someone if you don't put them on your status update.

Like seriously. I wish you guys just understood. But you don't because your so old and cynical.

Grumpy tards.
    HistorianChick Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 825
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by teastalk View Post
    Okay, I also have another question. I'm sorry to say that it is related to FB again. I believe that the reason why I posted my first question was really because of this next described situation.

My boyfriend posted that Jessie is his favorite person. I know it makes me wonder: Who is Jessie? Why is Jessie his favorite? Why am I not his most favorite person in the world? What did Jessie do that qualifies for this kind of announcement? It makes me feel unimportant and extremely curious to know all of the above information. ...Why does this kind of announcement make me feel less important to him and what have they done to earn this kind of recognition?
    Seriously? Are you just trying to ask silly questions, or is this really a concern of yours?

This sounds like high school. Facebook is a computer passer-of-time. It is not life. When people start to wrap their entire lives around "what did he put on her wall" and "why am I not in his favorites" they tend to lose touch with reality.

He is WITH you. Not his ex or "Jessie." You. Stop living in cyber-world and take care of business in reality.
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:49 PM

That reminds me of a group on Facebook "If your relationship isn't listed on Facebook, it doesn't count"
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:57 PM

The best fake Facebook fight I ever witnessed was between my sister and her husband. His ex from 10 years ago posted pictures and he was in them from 10 years ago. My sister flipped!! I could not stop laughing at them which just made my sister even madder. She took it so far that he had to ask the girl to remove the pictures. Talk about pathetic!!
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:58 PM

Wow, did you ask your sisters hubby if he got his b@lls back afterwards
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2010, 02:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Romefalls19 View Post
    Wow, did you ask your sisters hubby if he got his b@lls back afterwards
    Funny you should say that Rome cause every time I see him I ask if his b@lls are in her purse, pocket or did she leave them at home today.
    CanIBuyAClue Posts: 144, Reputation: 39

Jan 8, 2010, 08:17 PM

FaceBook is irrelevant, I only use that site to post random funny stuff to get laughs out of people. I never consider it serious for relationship type stuff. Neither should you. He threw you a birthday party, that's what should matter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Taking care of.keloids? [ 1 Answers ]

So, I got my cartlige pierced two months ago. I got it pierced with a needle not a gun. Last month I noticed a small, grayish bump forming above the back entrance for my earing. Of course, me being me, I did not think anything of it. For about a week my mom kept saying "there is something wrong...

Taking care of mom [ 8 Answers ]

I'm 15, and I have to take care of my mother. She's 58 years old, and I've basically been her pyschiatrist my whole life. Now that she's older, I have to be her nurse as well. She had a parcial knee replacement last year, and I took care of her and the household by myself. Now she has to get a...

Taking care of mold [ 2 Answers ]

Lastnight I just noticed mold growing on the windowsill in my bathroom. Its not very much but I'm not sure how to take care of it? I've never dealt with mold. Can some one help. Thanks

Feeling guilty because I want to take care of my family myself... [ 15 Answers ]

I married a wonderful man nearly 6 years ago and we've been together for nearly 9 years. I have two children (12 & 13 year old girls) from a previous marriage. Before and after we married, I worked full time. After 9/11 and my subsequent layoff, I began working part-time so I could be here when...

View more questions Search