Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
    Buying a router
    I have a laptop with built in wifi. In my house I have DSL via my cable company to access the internet. I want a router so I can use my laptop in any room. What do I look for when buying? I seem to be reading that some are portable and some are not and not sure which I should be looking for. I want good security and a decent range in my condo. Ansy suggestions on models /make would also be appreciated
    Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2010, 03:36 PM

ANY Wireless G or N router should do the job. An N router will give you greater range But if you have a condo, you probably don't need great range.
    citylover Posts: 79, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 10:19 PM

OK thanks, yes this info was helpful
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 10:21 AM

Security wise, they all use the same tech for the most part. Some offer things that others don't, but they're pretty much the same across the board. Anything listed as an Access Point (AP) will allow you to control your range. As far as reliability and control over your options, I would suggest Linksys with an alternate firmware, I think belkin is slightly less reliable, but is much easier to set up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Changing wireless router Linksys WRT54GS to a wired router [ 8 Answers ]

How can I disable my wireless router to a wired router. The model is a Linksys WRT54GS.My two computers are now in one room and do not need to be wireless.I will be using a 50ft. Cable. Does it make any difference if the color of the cable is blue or yellow ?

D-Link Router DI-624 router settings log in issues [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having serious problems getting into the router settings of my D-Link router. Someone other than me messed with the Admin log in supposedly changing the password. I've attempted to "reset" the modem several times, and use what D-Link says is the admin log in of "Admin" and no password, but it...

Router within a Router - Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

I'm trying to set up a wireless network to be able to use my laptop, but am having problems getting everything working; The wireless is "Connected" yet I'm unable to access the internet, or ping the default gateway. The current setup consists of a Zyxel Prestige 643 (The "internet gateway", a...

View more questions Search