Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tsvas Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2010, 08:42 AM
    How to determine free acidity
    We have solution containing solutes obtained by sulfuric acid leaching of an ore. The concentration of sulfuric acid in the solution before the addition of ore is 2M. Due to the reaction of ore constitutents with sulfuric acid, sulfate compounds of corresponding metals are formed. We would like to determine the free acidity of the resulting leach solution.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2010, 08:58 AM

It depends on how much acid reacted and how much is left. If you want the pH of the solution, use the formula:

where [H^+] means concentration of H^+ ions.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 3, 2010, 10:37 AM

Or, if you're trying to find the amount of usable Sulfuric acid is left, do the following.

Take a pH Test.

That should approximate your Sulphuric Acid molarity remaining.
    tileguy Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Feb 8, 2010, 12:20 PM

A very accurate method is to titrate a sample. Titration of an acid with NaOH is very accurate. I'd try 20.00 ml of your sample to be titrated with 1.00 M NaOH.
    M(acid) x Volume(acid) = M(NaOH) x Volume(NaOH) This will give you the molarity of the hydrogen ions. Example .5M H+ x 1H2SO4/2H+ = .25 M H2SO4 remaining.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The quantitative measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution can be expressed [ 2 Answers ]

The quantitative measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution can be expressed in terms of the ________ scale. Please help me?

The quantitative measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution can be expressed [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: The quantitative measure of the acidity or alkalinity of a solution can be expressed in terms of the ________ scale. Please help me?

Acidity in beagle [ 3 Answers ]

My 7-yr old beagle can't stay without food for longer than 7 hrs. He gets severe acidity and takes me out foraging--a strain on poor arms and legs--he pulls and yanks like an unruly horse. Nothing will do but grass, not even milk which he loves. Now, I wake up at 4 in the morning to give him some...

View more questions Search