Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anna_anna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2003, 08:27 PM
    Basketball practice better than game time
    Ok hi how are you
    Well I got a problem
    See I don't know what is wrong with me
    Every time I have a basketball game I freeze and I play like but in practice I'm like the best player on the team . Something is wrong with me and I don't know how to fix it I feel like I'm letting the whole team down and its like they are all counting on me and I just can't do it :'( I really need help
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Jul 22, 2004, 08:01 PM
    I need help
    Hello there this is normal to have butterfly in a game type situation. What I use to do is draw the energy of the crowd. They are there to see you do good just relax and block them out and play your normal game. All eyes are on you just go with the flow of the game. If you try not to make a mistake that when your game will be off. No one is perfect just remember your in the spot light it show time. Keep shoot umm up GOOD LUCK
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Dec 10, 2004, 09:51 PM
    Are you having fun?
    Anna,

It sounds like a problem many athletes have. When you practice the pressure is off and you are having fun. In a game you feel like it's alll on the line. You feel like everyone expects you to save the day or hold the team up all by yourself. Do you like basketball?

If you do you can use that love to play in the game better. Here's how...

Do you know what it means to be "in the zone"? Many people feel that it means- to be totally focused on the game. It is true that being "in the zone" makes you focus on the game, but focus is not how you get in the zone. Focus is one of the results of being there. Do you know what puts you "in the zone"?

It's very simple. Fun. Yes, just having fun will put you "in the zone". That is why you play better in practice than in a real game. In practice there is no pressure to win, just to improveand have fun. And, if I know your personality, you want to be the best you can be. It's fun to push yourself in practice. Here are a few things to try...

1- Think of a game as practice for the next level of play. The only loser in a game is the person that doesn't learn from their mistakes. This is my motto for any team that I have ever coached, "Play hard, play fair, learn from your mistakes." if you do that and have fun the winning will take care of itself.

2- Don't worry about how many points you will score. Make your team mates better. Pump up your team by congradulating them when they do well. You know... tell them, "Good pass", or "great rebound". Or "way to block out". When they shoot well tell them, "great stroke." HERE'S A HINT THOUGH- Only congradulate when it is deserved, but you can always find something that someone is doing well. Just look for it. Stay upbeat and happy. A scientific study said that smiling releases chemicals in your body that make you feel better.

3- Put imaginary pressure on yourself in practice. Imagine that your shot is the last shot in a tie game with 1 second to go. Imagine the crowd roaring and expecting you to make that steal for the big play.

These are just a few tips... There are more. Tell me if any of them help, but don't expect them to work on the first try. They help a little more each time you use them.

Oldcoach :)
    crisscross Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2005, 01:03 AM
    Same ere
    Hey I have the same problem,
    In training I hit almost all of my free throws and other shots and when it comes to game time I fall apart it is really annoying. I have learned to get over it by trying to be more confident on the court.
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

Apr 9, 2005, 10:41 PM
    Relax
    Hi You just have to relax when your shooting free throws in a game. You really cannot compare practice to real game cause there is more pressure on you in a real game situation. Basketball is a fun sport and if you can become intense on the court your free throw will become a piece of cakes. Good luck
    oldcoach Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Apr 10, 2005, 10:12 AM
    Shooting free throws and relieving the pressure
    crisscross,

YOU SAID:
    Hey, I have the same problem, in training I hit almost all of my free throws and other shots and when it comes to game time I fall apart it is really annoying. I have learned to get over it by trying to be more confident on the court.

MY RESPONSE:
    If you would like some help with relieving game pressure and free-throw shooting just give me a little more information.

1- With what team(s) do you play?
    2- How long have you played basketball?
    3- Are you male or female?
    4- Are you right or left handed?
    5- What position(s) do you play?
    6- Height, weight, vertical jump?

Oldcoach
    magicrain09 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2008, 02:29 PM

Your putting too much pressure on yourself you should enjoy your game and remember that you are the SAME as all the others on that court
    AWade Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2008, 04:05 PM

You are not just the same... you are the BEST..
    Yiou have to believe you can outdo everybody on the court and you willl..

And Prayer helps a lot too...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basketball practice help [ 28 Answers ]

OK I really need help I love basketball I always have But no matter how much I practice and how hard I work I just can't seem to get better I mean I have talked to my coach and the way she works is she tells you something negative and she wants you to prove her wrong Well for me its kind of...

Part time or full time resident? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am a student in PA and spent about 3 months in New York during the summer for an internship. Since my primary domicile was still in PA (since I had to return for the next year of classes), am I a resident of PA for the full year or a part year resident? Likewise when I file state tax...

Will I be able to practice? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm just finishing my first year of law school, and am kind of embarrassed to ask this. I entered a debt settlement company, and they were lousy. I now have three accounts left, and with interest they are now in upwards of $30,000. I'm leaving the company, but the three account left are with...

Has anyone done the A-1 Photography practice set? [ 8 Answers ]

I need some serious help with the A-1 Photography practice set if anyone has done it yet. Thanks

View more questions Search