Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SIMBRIAL Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2010, 01:54 PM
    Atlanta tax expert
    Hello atlanta tax expert,

You helped me already by answering my questions a few times and here I am in need of one more answer.
    I’m here with a G1 visa and pay taxes in Italy. My husband (US citizen) and I file separately. We are thinking about buying an apt and both of us will sign up the contract. I would like to know what the next step is for what concerns our taxes. Should I report my ownership (I believe the 50%) only while I file taxes in Italy, or should I file taxes in the states too?
    What about if we do some upgrade in the new apt. Can I file half of the cost in Italy while husband files the other half of the expenses, as both names will appear on the contract?

Thanking you for your precious assistance,
    Simona
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 25, 2010, 02:45 PM
    Simona:

Sorry for the delay in answering; it has been real hectic.

As a G-1 visa holder, you are exempt from all taxes in the U.S. However, that also means you CANNOT claim any part of the $8,000 First Time Home Buyer's Credit.

If the apartment is in BOTH of your names, then your husband can only claim $4,000 of the $8,000 Credit. You may want to consider putting the apartment exclusively in his name if that is an option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

General Announcement from Atlanta Tax Expert [ 4 Answers ]

I am about to leave to attend my nephew's wedding, so I will not have ready access to the Internet. I will try to log on when I can to answer your questions, but expect some delays until I return Sunday evening.

To atlanta Tax expert: ITIN for dependent [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am staying in the US on J-1 visa since 2005 onwards, so I assume am a resident alien for the tax purposes. Last year, 2007 my son joined with me and he was dependent for at least 9 months. He came to the US on J-2 visa status. So, I had applied for ITIN for my son and along with 2007...

To atlanta tax expert: resident or nonresident [ 1 Answers ]

I spend 6 years and 4 months in the US on a student visa. ON my SIX year, I filed as a resident alien for taxes. In the seventh year, I spent 4 months, should I file as a resident alien, DUAL status or nonresident alien. My application for immigration is pending and am overseas.

For Atlanta Tax Expert [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, Thanks, again. I will claim my wife's deduction as per your suggestion and will keep her fee receipts, just in case the IRS decides to inquire about. One more question - My wife is an MBA student working towards her credits. We paid around $10000 in 2007. What would be the...

View more questions Search