Feb 1, 2010, 06:58 AM
    How to calculate crane capacity
    Hi, I would to know about :
    - calculate crane capacity in 20, 45 degree
    - calculate crane boom lifting capacity
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 1, 2010, 01:42 PM

I'm guessing that you have a homework problem in statics or physics where they give you a diagram detailing things like the angle of the cables, and the mass of the crane and it's track width - right? Well, in general the lifting capacity will be limited either by the breaking strength of the cables or the turning moment on the crane causing it to topple over. Consider the moments acting around the crane support that is closest to the weight - this support might be the track. The turning moment caused by the weight is the weight times the horizontal distance from the support to the weight. This must be countered by the moment due to the mass of the crane - the crane mass times the horizontal distace from the track to the center of gravity (probably half the width of the crane). If these two moments are equal, then the crane is just about to topple over, so that's the maximum weight.

On the other jhand, if this is a real engineering question, and you're inerested in undrstanding how crane manufacturer's establish design criteria for real cranes, that's a ompletely different problem than just the idealized analysis I outlined above.
    jimcrout Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 03:22 PM
    In the First Class Boatswain Manual there is a formula for figuring the lifting capacity for booms. I would like to get it.
    jimcrout Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2012, 03:23 PM
    In the first class boatswain mate manual there is a formula for the lifting capacity of booms. What is it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to calculate the Expansion vessel capacity(Ltrs) fpr Water Booster pumps [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, How can I find the capacity of Expanssion Vessel for a Water Booster pump set. Is there any formula to apply commonly. The location of booster pump( grd. Or roof) will affect the capacity of vessel. Can solve my doubts please. Sha. K.A

How do I calculate distribution panel capacity [ 6 Answers ]

I am working in a manufacturing facility and am trying to figure where to get power from for some new equipment that will be replacing some existing production lines. The configuration of the power distribution will be very different, i.e. centralized control panels as opposed to individual...

Crane IPE capacity calculation [ 1 Answers ]

What is the correct formula to use to be able to calcualte what IPE should be used for a 3 -5 Ton overhead crane on a 5 or 6 m span?

Overhead crane [ 6 Answers ]

HI. And thanks for looking at my question... I want to build an over head crane in my shop the H beams are 6.5 x 4 x 1/4 the span will be 40' with 16' upright h beams of the same size on each end... The question is how much weight will this hold?? I'm looking for around 1 ton...

View more questions Search